New book: Microsoft Visual C# 2013 Step by Step

Microsoft Visual C Sharp 2013 Step by Step cover imageWe’re happy to announce the publication of Microsoft Visual C# 2013 Step by Step (ISBN: 9780735681835), by John Sharp!

Purchase from these online retailers:

The Microsoft Press Store

Amazon.com

Barnes & Noble

Independent booksellers – Shop local

Your hands-on guide to Visual C# fundamentals

Expand your expertise—and teach yourself the fundamentals of Microsoft Visual C# 2013. If you have previous programming experience but are new to Visual C# 2013, this tutorial delivers the step-by-step guidance and coding exercises you need to master core topics and techniques.

Discover how to:

• Create and debug C# applications in Visual Studio 2013

• Work with variables, identifiers, statements, operators, and methods

• Create interfaces and define abstract classes

• Write robust code that can catch and handle exceptions

• Display and edit data using data binding with Microsoft ADO.NET Entity Framework

• Respond to user input and touchscreen gestures

• Handle events arising from multiple sources

• Develop your first Windows 8.1 apps

About the Author

John Sharp is a principal technologist at Content Master, part of CM Group Ltd, a technical authoring and consulting company. An expert on developing applications with the Microsoft .NET Framework and interoperability issues, John has produced numerous tutorials, white papers, and presentations on distributed systems, Web services, and the C# language. He is the author of several popular books, including Microsoft Windows Communication Foundation Step By Step.

1. hlwright56 says:

Good day,

I purchased Microsoft Visual C# Step by Step in the Nook version from Barnes and Noble.  I have Win 8.1, VC 2013 Ultimate (trial version.  I also download the code samples.

I ran into an issue that I do not understand:

On Page 90 of the Nook version of the book while using the samples, the book state that I need to add some code to the switch statement.  All is well until I Add the case that is suppose to change the '&&' to a literal.  By the way all the others are OK…

" case '&' " At this point I get the red squiggly under the statement and it says there is a -newline in constant-.  The first thing I notice is one of the single quotes are missing and add the ending single quote.  Now the tooltip error reads – Too many characters in character literal -.  at this point I am lost as that I do not Program for a living.  I have included my code directly from VS 2013 Ultimate below: Please help me out.  I just picked up the book yesterday and have learned a great deal just from the few pages and samples I did.  Oh something minor:  When I initial dropped the zip files into my documents it said the path was too long.  I just ignored the error and it seemed to work ok.

Thank-you for your time

Harvey L Wright

Lubbock, TX

private void copyOne(char current)

{

break;

}

}

2. Ahsan Kabir says:

Nice one

3. chris says:

you need to swap the case line with the target line, case line the '&' and put double quotes around "&&#x0027" and put it in the target line

4. Patrick says:

This book makes reference to an 8.1 directory under the chapter folders in the companion source code.  No directory exists for 8.1 – only 7 and 8.

5. long says:

i need this book. if u have this book, can share with me

6. Jim says:

The correct case block should look like this

case '&' :

target.Text += "&";

break;

7. Jim says:

Above comment changed the code. Correct block should look like the following – with "_" removed from the &_amp on the target line (posting the comment here without the underline changes the character to an &)

case '&' :

target.Text += "&_amp;";

break;

8. KimSpilker says:

Jim – we'll share this errata with the author and editor.

9. Dave Morley says:

Just bought the book – but cannot download the code samples…

10. Ludwvin Martinez says:

I just bought the eBook version from the Amazon Kindle Store. The link provided to download the code samples is dead. All I get is the message "File not found". I tried typing the link given in the book and also from the official page of the book at http://www.microsoftpressstore.com/…/microsoft-visual-c-sharp-2013-step-by-step-9780735681835.

11. Betty Stuyvesant says:

I cannot either download the code samples. I get too the message "File not found".

12. Steve G says:

Me too, cannot get the code samples. I assume I will be returning this book then ? what a shame

13. Devon Musgrave says:

Everybody, the code samples are available on the Companion Content tab here: http://www.microsoftpressstore.com/…/microsoft-visual-c-sharp-2013-step-by-step-9780735681835

14. Steve G says:

Devon we have been there the link does not work, it takes you to a "file not found" error message.

15. Mika Arm says:

No "Companion content" for this book (File not found), I found only for 2012

16. KimSpilker says:

Everyone – the companion content link is fixed now. You can download the file. I just confirmed it.

17. Steve G says:

thanks kim

18. Mika Arm says:

@KimSpilker, thank you for information.

19. Where is John Sharp? says:

Does John Sharp have a website, twitter, etc.?  Can't find him.

20. KimSpilker says:

If you have a message or question for him, you can email us at the "Email Blog Author" link above and we'll pass it along to him.

21. Keshav S. says:

Dear Friends,

If anyone of you have the companion content for 2013 version please send it to  keshav.sahu88@gmail.com

Thanks

22. Dilaim says:

Hi. The link for companion content still is not working. If anyone has the companion content for 2013 version please send it to dilaim33@gmail.com

Thanks

23. Clint says:

HLWright56 made it page 90 ! ! ! ! !

I can't get past page 39.  The download files for the book don't work ! ! ! ! !

24. KimSpilker says:

Clint – we've verified that these download files work. In fact, they were used for a course on C# recently.