We are happy to announce that MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640): Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Active Directory® (2nd Edition) (Microsoft Press, 2011; ISBN 9780735651937; 1040 pages), authored by Dan Holme, Nelson Ruest, Danielle Ruest, and Jason Kellington, is now available.
This training kit is designed for IT professionals who support or plan to support Microsoft Active Directory (AD) on Windows Server 2008 R2 and who also plan to take the Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) 70-640 examination. It is assumed that you have a solid foundation-level understanding of Microsoft Windows client and server operating systems and common Internet technologies. The MCTS exam, and this book, assume that you have at least one year of experience administering AD technologies.
The material covered in this training kit and on exam 70-640 builds on your understanding and experience to help you implement AD technologies in distributed environments, which can include complex network services and multiple locations and domain controllers. The topics in this training kit cover what you need to know for the exam, as described on the Skills Measured tab for the exam, which is available at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-640&locale=en-us#tab2.
By using this training kit, you will learn how to do the following:
- Deploy Active Directory Domain Services, Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services, Active Directory Certificate Services, Active Directory Federation Services, and Active Directory Rights Management Services in a forest or domain.
- Upgrade existing domain controllers, domains, and forests to Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Efficiently administer and automate the administration of users, groups, and computers.
- Manage the configuration and security of a domain by using Group Policy, fine-grained password policies, directory services auditing, and the Security Configuration Wizard.
- Implement effective name resolution with the domain name system (DNS) on Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Plan, configure, and support the replication of Active Directory data within and between sites.
- Add, remove, maintain, and back up domain controllers.
- Enable authentication between domains and forests.
- Implement new capabilities and functionality offered by Windows Server 2008 R2.
Preparing for the Exam
Microsoft certification exams are a great way to build your resume and let the world know about your level of expertise. Certification exams validate your on-the-job experience and product knowledge. While there is no substitution for on-the-job experience, preparation through study and hands-on practice can help you prepare for the exam. We recommend that you round out your exam preparation plan by using a combination of available study materials and courses. For example, you might use the Training Kit and another study guide for your “at home” preparation, and take a Microsoft Official Curriculum course for the
classroom experience. Choose the combination that you think works best for you.
About the Authors
Dan Holme, MVP, has 17 years’ experience as a consultant and trainer focused on Windows and Microsoft SharePoint technologies. He is author of Windows Administration Resource Kit: Productivity Solutions for IT Professionals.
Nelson Ruest, MCT, and Danielle Ruest have 20+ years of experience with infrastructure design, core application deployments, and system optimization, along with 10 years of experience in virtualization.
Jason Kellington, MCT, MCITP, MCSE, is a consultant, trainer, and author with 15+ years of IT industry experience, specializing in
enterprise infrastructure deployment.