Jeffrey Richter: Excerpt #2 from CLR via C#, Third Edition

Good morning, Jeffrey Richter here. My new book, CLR via C#, Third Edition (Microsoft Press, 2010; ISBN: 9780735627048), should be available via online retailers by February 15.  (Microsoft Press will alert you here when it is.)

Today I thought I’d share a section a section from Chapter 23, “Assembly Loading and Reflection,” with you. This section discusses how to embed your application’s dependent DLLs inside your EXE file, simplifying deployment by allowing you to distribute just one physical file.

> > > > >

Many applications consist of an EXE file that depends on many DLL files. When deploying this application, all the files must be deployed. However, there is a technique that you can use to deploy just a single EXE file. First, identify all the DLL files that your EXE file depends on that do not ship as part of the Microsoft .NET Framework itself. Then add these DLLs to your Visual Studio project. For each DLL file you add, display its properties and change its “Build Action” to “Embedded Resource.” This causes the C# compiler to embed the DLL file(s) into your EXE file, and you can deploy this one EXE file.

At runtime, the CLR won’t be able to find the dependent DLL assemblies, which is a problem. To fix this, when your application initializes, register a callback method with the AppDomain’s ResolveAssembly event. The code should look something like this:

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.AssemblyResolve += (sender, args) => {

String resourceName = “AssemblyLoadingAndReflection.” +

new AssemblyName(args.Name).Name + “.dll”;

using (var stream = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream(resourceName)) {

Byte[] assemblyData = new Byte[stream.Length];

stream.Read(assemblyData, 0, assemblyData.Length);

return Assembly.Load(assemblyData);

Now, the first time a thread calls a method that references a type in a dependent DLL file, the AssemblyResolve event will be raised and the callback code shown above will find the embedded DLL resource desired and load it by calling an overload of Assembly’s Load method that takes a Byte[] as an argument.

Jeffrey Richter (

1. How does this compare to ILMerge?  Any advantages to one over the other?

2. Kerry Patrick says:

Jeffrey Richter, you rock!  I still have Applied .NET Framework Programming on my bookshelf at work and CLR via C# 2 on my bookshelf at home.  Can’t wait for CLR via C# 3 to come out.

3. David, here’s a response from Jeff:

ILMerge produces a new assembly file from a set of existing assemblies. This means that the original assemblies lose their identity (name, version, culture, and public key).

What I am showing here is creating an assembly that embeds the EXISTING assemblies into it so that they do not lose their identity at all.

Because the original assemblies keep their identity, more scenarios work correctly, such as serialization & security.

ILMerge is most useful when all the assemblies being merged are produced by a single organization/company.

What I propose can be used with assemblies produced by different organzations/companies.

4. Matt Warren says:

I've just implemented this on my current project and it's saved loads of installation and build hassles.

5. tc says:

What if I don't have an EXE and instead I am building a library?

How do I achive the same results for a DLL.

I'm wondering what would be an entry point for a DLL where I could attach do AssemblyResolve event.

6. tc, here's a response from Jeff:

This is a great question and I wish there was a great solution for this problem but I am unable to come up with one.

I tried writing a DllMain method in native C code and then adding a C# .netmodule to this assembly. The idea being that Windows will invoke the DllMain method and this method would invoke some managed code that would register with the AssemblyResolve event. But, this didn’t work because a DllMain method cannot call managed code due to potential deadlocking due to the Windows loader-lock. I even thought about having DllMain spawn a worker thread to do this to avoid the loader-lock issue. But, then there is a race condition which occurs and your program may work sometimes but not consistently.

Then, I tried an EXE that registers with the AssemblyResovle event and the callback code would look at the ResolveEventArgs’s RequestingAssembly property and try to find the DLL in the requesting assembly. But this doesn’t work for two reasons.  First, the DLL might not be able to rely on the EXE (or host app) registering interest in this event. Second, and more importantly, when the RequestingAssembly is in the Load context (as is the most-common case), then the RequestingAssembly property returns null and so there is no way to make this work anyway.

Then, I tried scanning having the event scan through all the currently-loaded assemblies’ manifest resources looking for an embedded assembly with the name of the assembly trying to be loaded. You can get this to work but it can potentially be a big runtime performance hit and it still suffers the same problem as before: it requires the EXE (or host) register with the AssemblyResolve event and do the right thing.

The best option I can think of is to have the EXE (or host) explicitly call some initialization method in the not-embedded library so this method can register its interest in the AssemblyResolve event.

Another option, is to have various places in the assembly’s code register with the event using some kind of singleton pattern. That is, if the DLL hasn’t registered with the event do it else don’t do it. And sprinkle calls to do this work through various places in the library’s code. This is the best solution from a usability standpoint but it is error prone.

I wish I had a better solution to offer you but I do not. It would be nice if .NET gave you a way to create a method that invoked when your DLL loads but due to the Windows’ load-lock issue it is just too easy for developers to get into a deadlock scenarios with the app so I think the CLR team did the right thing by not allowing this. So far, this scenario is the only one I know of that really suffers due to this limitation.

–Jeffrey Richter (

7. Mike Barnett says:

As the author of ILMerge, I think this is fantastic! If I had known about this, I never would have written ILMerge.

Many people have run into problems using ILMerge for WPF applications because WPF encodes assembly identities in binary resources that ILMerge is unable to modify. But this should work great for them.

8. Mike Barnett says:

9. krzysztof says:

thanks for the tip, it works ONLY for a Full Trust Application, also for WPF (where ILMerge fails to merge libraries)

what about the following scenario:

I want to build WPF for Browser Application (with Partial Trust, because i don't want not to play around with installing certificates on client machines – this app should widely accessible).

Furthermore, i want to obfuscate my exe (including these libraries from resource), and i am not sure, that obfuscation software can obfuscate resources (at least Eazfuscator, which i use is not doing this).

10. Stefano Baraldi says:

I second that, especially the issue with obfuscator.

Any hints?

11. Yucong Sun says:

I think for obfuscator, you can simply embemed the obsfucated dlls….

12. Daron says:

I am trying to use the above in my application I threw AppDomain.CurrentDomain.AssemblyResolve += new ResolveEventHandler(CurrentDomain_AssemblyResolve) is that correct?

13. Cham says:

I tried and also ran into a problem with this pop-up message:

TestPortfolioDragDrop [name of .exe] has stopped working.

I put the code in the constructor of MainWindow of a WPF Appliation called TestPortfolioDragDrop.

14. hr says:

How/Where can I register the eventhandler early enought?

If I register it in my Main()-Function it's too late because the CLR already checked the DLL-Reference before it calls my Main-Function and so it fails to load.

I'm using C#/.Net2.x (vs2005)

15. hr says:

OK, I found the solution:

The function calling the DLL must reside in another class, then it will be loaded later. Now everything works.

16. Jon says:

I tried to use this method with an application that uses XmlSerializer and It is trying to load mscorlib.XmlSerializers

Do I need to generate the xml serializer for the class?

17. Rob Fulwell says:

To get this working in a DLL you need to register for the AssemblyResolve event from a module initializer.  This is not available directly from C# projects but suitable IL can be injected as an MSBuild or post-build step.  We've implemented that solution to dynamically load the correct version of an internal assembly based on processor architecture at runtime and it works very well.

Module initializers:…/494914.aspx

Source and an executable that does the module injection:…/module-initializers-in-csharp

internal static class XdkInterop

private const string XdkPlatformInteropAssemblyName = "xdevkit";

/// <summary>

/// This method is injected into the built assembly as a module initializer by a post-build

/// target defined in the .csproj file.  Code running here can register for the

/// AssemblyResolve event in time to handle the module loading we need.

/// </summary>

internal static void Resolve()

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.AssemblyResolve += delegate(object sender, ResolveEventArgs resolveEventArgs)

return Assembly.LoadFrom(assemblyPath);

18. SPB says:

Hi Jeffrey,

I need to merge Telerik dlls for silverlight into a single dll.

I tried to use ILMerge. But it is not working for me.

So I thought of using the above method mentioned by you. Updating the build action to "Embedded Resource" and use the AppDomains AppResolver event. I have also gone through the following url for Module Initializer.…/module-initializers-in-csharp

I have created a Silverlight class library and added the required Telerik dlls. I tried to modify the build action for the "Telerik dll's". But I didn't find the Build Action property in the properties window. How can I change the build action property for the Telerik dlls.

Also from the above discussions I understand that making the build action will embed the dlls in to an exe and we need to use a callback method to invoke the methods in the embedded assemblies. Is this works only with the exe?

What are all the changes I need to do, for making a single dll using the above method?

Please help me by providing steps, to embed the Telerik dlls for Silverlight into a single dll.

Thanks in advance,

19. Sebastian says:

Hi there,

i recently had the problem in deploying an application which is described as following:…/129977c3-0edc-4f37-9071-2116b347464b

If i just add the two ".dlls" as "Embedded Resource"-Files if i cannot use the contained classes/functions.

So do i have to add the two dlls additionaly as project reference to use the containted classes/functions?

I also tried to set "Copy Local" to "False" on those ProjectReferences, then the project will compile fine

and wont produce additional ".dll" files but when starting it will crash with an error like this:

Der Typ "WpfControlLibraryTestResources.UCFromControlLibrary" kann nicht gefunden werden. Die während der Kompilierung verwendete Assembly unterscheidet sich möglicherweise von der beim Laden verwendeten Assembly, und der Typ fehlt.  Fehler in Objekt "System.Windows.Controls.Grid" in Markupdatei "SimpleClassLibraryUsingResources;component/showresourcecontrol.xaml"

(sorry for the german translation)

20. Matty says:

I am struggling with this just a little bit.  If I have a windows forms app written in C#, where do I add this code to my application?  I tried adding it to the beginning of Main() in my Program.cs file, but this still produces errors about missing libraries.  Any help would be appreciated, as I think this would make distribution of my tools a lot easier.

21. Locarno says:

Is there a way to do this with project references within one solution, rather than DLL references?

22. Hi, Locarno. Jeffrey says, "The answer is 'No'."

23. Locarno, Jeffrey just added this: "It is a Visual Studio limitation that disallows this."

24. VB.Net Outta Luck? says:

I assume that this works for C# only, not any version of VB.Net.  Is this correct?

"VB.Net, the other C#"

25. Jim says:

So any thoughts on how I embed the associated pdb file for a given dll and have it be recognized in a stack trace?

Thanks in advance

26. Nemo says:

Great tip thx! But isn't this a bit complicated code? All you need to do is add a dll file via Project->Properties->Resources so VS generates the access classes and then you can load those assemblies in one line:

using R = MyProject.Properties.Resources;

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.AssemblyResolve += (sender, args) => Assembly.Load(R.MyMergedDll);

Also be aware of .NET 4 breaking change. Starting with .NET 4, the AssemblyResolve callback is called for EVERY unresolved assembly including resources etc, so the above code is not really correct, some target name checking and loaded assembly caching should be used…

27. Andy says:

How to make it so the debug version of the dll is embedded when building the main exe in debug and vice versa in release?

28. Simon Cropp says:

I would be interested on your opinion on this…/HowItWorksEmbedTask

It uses Jeffrey Richters approach in a seemless way.

29. ,NET Lover says:

Great article.. saved my time..Note if you are using it in a class library just call the assembly resolve in the default constructor..

30. John R says:

Many thanks,

After an hour or two with ILMerge that then didn't work, this was wonderfully simple.

31. Simon Cropp, Jeff has the following response for you:

I have used Einar Egilsson's suggestion myself with great success. I have not tried the MSBuild task myself, but this seems like a great way to go.

–Jeffrey Richter (

32. John Morgan says:

Hi Jeff,

I am not sure if I understand how exactly to implement this? In the sense that I already have other methods dependent on these assemblies. Kindly help as I am new to this.

33. John Morgan,

Jeffrey writes this in response:

I have an EXE that depends on DLL1 and DLL1 depends on DLL2. DLL2 requires no special code.

In DL1, I add the following code plus whatever I would normally put in DLL1:

internal static class ModuleInitializer {

// See…/module-initializers-in-csharp

// and…/HowItWorksEmbedTask

internal static void Run() {

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.AssemblyResolve += ResolveEventHandler;

private static Assembly ResolveEventHandler(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs args) {

String dllName = new AssemblyName(args.Name).Name + ".dll";

var assem = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly();

String resourceName = assem.GetManifestResourceNames().FirstOrDefault(rn => rn.EndsWith(dllName));

if (resourceName == null) return null; // Not found, maybe another handler will find it

using (var stream = assem.GetManifestResourceStream(resourceName)) {

Byte[] assemblyData = new Byte[stream.Length];

stream.Read(assemblyData, 0, assemblyData.Length);

return Assembly.Load(assemblyData);

For the DLL1 project, I have the following post-build event (for InjectModuleInitializer.exe, see the comments above):

$(ProjectDir)InjectModuleInitializer.exe $(TargetPath)

Then in my EXE, I have the same ResolveEventHandler method and in Main, I have this:

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.AssemblyResolve += ResolveEventHandler;

–Jeffrey Richter (

34. John Morgan says:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the prompt reply. What is the function of DLL2? Is it where the external assemblies have been used?

35. John Morgan, Jeffrey says:

DLL2 is just dome library that DLL1 depends on; your app may not have a DLL2.

The solution I describe allows you to package DLL1 and what it depends on (DLL2) together into the EXE and have everything work even if the EXE doesn’t depend on DLL2 directly.

–Jeffrey Richter (

36. Nirmal Rajmohan says:

Hi Jeffrey,

I would like to impliment your approch of loading and resolving DLL from application resource, but I am a starter, I don't know C#. Is it possible to port this code to VB (.Net 4.0), if possible please post the code, that would be helpfull for many programmers like me.

Thanks in advance,

If e.Name.Contains("HtmlAgilityPack") Then

Return Reflection.

Return Nothing

End If

End Function

End Class

I added "HtmlAgilityPack.dll" as a file resource. And then changed the property "Copy local" of the references to it to False.

38. Nirmal Rajmohan says:

Thank you so much David Sherwood.

I will check this solution soon and will post the results.

Can we load an ActiveX library (*.OCX) using this method? Is there any way to do that?

Thanks and regards,

Nirmal Rajmohan

39. Hmmmm says:

If you put the AssemblyResolve event handler registration code in <Module>::.cctor (i.e., the module's .cctor method, the "global" .cctor), it should work even if it's a DLL file. This is what most obfuscators do.

40. The assembly load results should be cached, since you might have several resolve calls to the same dll. For example if a dll is referenced in <configuration><configSections> and the same dll is later referenced by code, you might have two AssemblyResolve calls. The args.Name parameter might be different, but the "new AssemblyName(args.Name).Name" will be equal, so use that as the cache key. A static Dictionary<string,Assembly> should suffice?

41. Patrick Smacchia says:

Jeffrey, I am afraid that this more and more widely pattern proposed here provokes a waste of (the so precious) process memory.

If an asm A embeds and asm B as a resource, the B code will be duplicated 3 times in the process:

1) in the A file image pre JIT

2) such as the B assembly file image pre JIT

3) such as the B assembly post JITed

The 1) case introduce the waste.

Unless I am wrong, it would be a good idea to tell this caveat to enthusiasts about this pattern, before their program memory burst.

42. Pete says:

I'm quite new to this but this solution is exactly what I need for deployment of my application.

My problem is that I don't know where to put this in my application's code. When I paste the code into my main forms main method there are several errors.

So please can you tell me where to put this code extract to make it work?

43. Eric R says:

I didn't notice Matty's question get answered and I have the same question.

I added the code to load my dll as indicated in this post, but I'm still getting the following error and cannot compile:

The type or namespace name 'ClassInDLL' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

44. Gerhard Heilig says:

For me this is the most important info I have seen in a long time. Why the hell is this technique not an option in the development GUI of VB.NET?

45. Dave Williams says:

I was struggling to implement this in a console app and I finally found this.…/creating-single-exe-that-depends-on.html

adding the event handler as in the above and using the slightly cleaner method illustrated by Jeff here worked beautifully for me.

Thanks Jeff

46. l.Ploumen says:

How do you manage different assembly version?

For example:

Executable need DLL_1_V1 and a DLL which references DLL_1_V2.

I tried to apply this method but in this case it doesn’t work. The 2 dll’s are correctly loaded in the AssemblyResolve event, but calls to their methods are not correct.

Any idea how to fix this ?

47. Deniz İrgin says:

For who getting FileNotFoundException :

Register AppDomain.CurrentDomain.AssemblyResolve event on static constructor of Program class. It is early enough

48. Will says:

What about unmanaged c++ Dlls?

I get an error complaining about loading mixed-mode assemblies.

49. Rao says:

I have added all the dlls as resources in a class library. Where do I write the code that mentioned above to make it work.

Thanks for the help.

50. Jan Kučera says:

Hello, it should be noted that this method prevents from registering the assembly using regasm, as it obviously does not look in the embedded resources when resolving references. Jan

51. Mike says:

Good Article.

But I have a problem and I don't know how to solve.

I followed all steps to implement this but every time I run the program my eventhandler in FORM_LOAD got an error saying "The Specified Module Could Not Be Found" the error found in my event "MyFunctionFromDLL.KeyPress += Sample_KeyPress;"

private void Sample_KeyPress(object sender, KeyPressEventArgs e)

if (e.KeyChar == (char)Keys.Return)

Please help.

Thank you in advance.

52. Tom says:

I see several other people saying they can not get this to compile, and asking for details on where to place this. But there is no response to their posts. I am having the same problem. While very grateful for the free advice, there isn't enough specificity for some of us to be able to make use of this.

1. Gabriel G says:

I had the same problem and I’ve found my issue: my Program class had static properties based on classes from the DLLs, so they were created before the Main() was called.

On my test project I don’t have any static property and it works like a charm.

1. Gabriel G says:

Nevermind it doesn’t work.

53. Peter Andersson says:

It should be noted that when using this solution you cant ngen those embeded dll's.

54.    using System;

using System.Reflection;

internal static class EmbeddedAssembly

internal static void Load(string nameSpace, string assemblyName)

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.AssemblyResolve += (sender, args) =>

String resourceName = nameSpace + "." + assemblyName + ".dll";

Byte[] assemblyData = new Byte[stream.Length];

stream.Read(assemblyData, 0, assemblyData.Length);

return Assembly.Load(assemblyData);

ok call the load method before your app uses the assembly, arguements are your project's namespace and the name of the assmebly

55. in my windows app i called here…

namespace MyNamespace

using System;

using System.Windows.Forms;

using CaseStackAdminApp.Properties;

static class Program

/// <summary>

/// The main entry point for the application.

/// </summary>

static void Main()

EmbeddedAssembly.Load("MyNamespace", "MyAssembly");

Application.Run(new MainForm());

Settings.Default.ExitTime = DateTime.Now;

56. Will Sullivan says:

Oh lawd… GetManifestResourceStream?  When the IDE will make a strongly typed (well, byte[]) property for it if you add it as a Resource via the project's properties?  Anyhow, if you happen to catch this, was wondering about the load context and this method.  Load contexts are probably the least understood, worst documented, and most opaque parts of the framework.  Would love to hear your explanation of the ramifications of this method, and load contexts in general.

57. Xinsane says:

How do you use the dll's in WPF xaml Afterwards ?

58. Alex K says:

As far as I know, IL Merge (1) makes total size of an assemblies much less and (2) makes assemblies to load faster. What about this? Am I right that this solution does not bring such advantages?

59. This may have just saved me massive ammounts of code trying to deal with conflicting dependancies of the same library.

Huge Thanks.

60. I implemented this approach (as mentioned above) for conflicting version dll's and it is so far working (still in testing)

My scenerio involved a COM component coded against multiple versions of the same software where each version will only work to automate one specific version (even though the COM class was coded to be compatible the component explicitly throws exceptions when the interop library is built against a different version, newer or older)

In my case I have an option in the GUI for the user to select a specific Version and I built multiple version of the interop library, one against each version of the com component. The "correct" one is loaded based on user selection.

I also precompressed the DLL's using a GZipStream object to reduce the total size of the DLL, which works very well as you simply decompress it on demand which takes < 1 sec.

One last thing I would say is some posters indicate you cannot do this or is difficult to implement in cases with "EXE-DLL-DLL" (DLL with embedded DLL) but it's quite simple in VB…

Public Module modMain

Public WithEvents CurDomain As AppDomain = AppDomain.CurrentDomain

Private Function AssemblyResolve(sender As Object, args As System.ResolveEventArgs) As System.Reflection.Assembly Handles CurDomain.AssemblyResolve

…. ' resolve assembly here based on GetExecutingAssembly or return nothing…

End Function

End Module

61. Patrick Magee says:

I cannot get this to work. I have a simple exe:

namespace Test

class Program

static void Main(string[] args)

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.AssemblyResolve += new ResolveEventHandler(CurrentDomain_AssemblyResolve);

var args = new ArgParser();

static Assembly CurrentDomain_AssemblyResolve(object sender, ResolveEventArgs args)

String resourceName = "Test." +

new AssemblyName(args.Name).Name + ".dll";

Byte[] assemblyData = new Byte[stream.Length];

stream.Read(assemblyData, 0, assemblyData.Length);

return Assembly.Load(assemblyData);

In my TestClass, I have:

using ExternalDll;

namespace Test

class ArgParser

public Dictionary<String, String> ParsedArgs { get; set; }

public ArgParser(string[] args)

SomeMethod(); //defined in ExternalDll

This will not compile, as it cannot resolve the ExternalDll reference. So how to I call 'SomeMethod()'??

62. Martin Braun says:

Yo Jeff and other guys, here are some interesting facts I found out by testing:

If you have any duplicated DLLs in your components the file size with grow with it. However, it will only load the nearest assembly of the copies that is on the top in the hierarchic tree.

The bad aspect of this comes to you when your merged components contain DLL duplicates with different versions.

In this case, it will ignore the versions and load only one assembly, the top assembly on the hierarchic tree, because it's loaded as first.

I like it ignores to load duplicates more times, but I hate it ignores the file / release version of the DLLs totally.

No idea how to solve this, hope you can give me any hint/idea Jeff.

63. Jerz says:

Does anyone know the VB.NET alternative for this?

64. Gabor Naray says:

Great solution!

In company environment using third party tool is always an eyebrow-raiser – unfortunately but understandable.

A nice native solution is a lifesaver.

65. FredChauviere says:

Jeff, you rock !

And save me a lot of trouble…

66. LM Ramirez says:

I just wanted to say thank you very much to Jeffrey Richter & Einar Egilsson. The combination of CLR injection at post-compilation event, and resource load at module initialization works perfectly for embedding several referenced DLLs into a single assembly. We can forget about future dependency and deployment problems.

67. krw4 says:

I have an application that references about 12 dlls that are not part of the .net framework.  I would llike to include one or more of these dlls in the exe.  So, I am following Jeff's advice.

I added a debug version one of these dlls to the project and set it's build option and added the AssemblyResolve event handler according to Jeffrey's blog.  The dll seemed to load and run OK, except it threw a InvalidCastException where it does not occur when the dll is loaded normally as a file.  The resource dll defines an interface and a class that implements the interface.  The exception occurs in the resource dll where an instance of the class is created and cast as the interface, such as,

Type type = Type.GetType(aIDictionary["type"]);

ISomeInterface interface = (ISomeInterface) Activator.CreateInstance(type);

Does anyone have any advice?

1. Henning Pangels says:

I have the same problem: an interface defined in an embedded assembly does not cast successfully, even if the type implementing the interface is defined int he SAME assembly…. the code works if the assembly is loaded “normally” from a .dll on disk.
      Did this topic ever get any replies? I’m stumped.

68. vs says:

Take a look at Vitevic Assembly Embedder ( It wraps all internals (assembly embedding & CLR injection) into Visual Studio extension. You can just set "Embed Assembly" property for any reference via Visual Studio GUI.

69. Arenas93 says:

Solution to embedding DLLs in DLLs- use Vitevic Assembly Embedder: – works like a charm!

70. Stuart says:

I have an app that uses lots of dll's, and it works with all of them except 2.  DLL1 is also being referenced by DLL2.

I have the source code for DLL2, so is there anything I can do make it work?

71. Henning Pangels says:

Hi all,
    I think I have also found a little kink in using this technique, took me a while to realize what’s going on, but here it is:
    I had a situation with a whole bunch of DLLs embedded as per this awesome technique, compiled together, several level of indirect referencing etc, and discovered that the AssemblyResolve event was fired for an assembly that had already been previously loaded and used, retrieved from the embedded resource as planned. Without modification, my handler just loaded the same assembly a 2nd time, evidently replacing the previous one. After that point, however, comparisons between objects/types originating from the 1st vs 2nd copy began to fail; namely, an object created with Activator.CreateInstance could no longer be cast as an interface (presumably referencing the earlier version).
    I noticed that the Name member of the ResolveEventArgs was the fully-qualified assembly name for the first resolve event, but the short name for the second.
    So my solution/workaround was to check if the needed assembly had already been loaded previously by comparing short names, and just return the initially loaded assembly in response to subsequent resolve events…somethinglike:

static System.Reflection.Assembly CurrentDomain_AssemblyResolve(object sender, ResolveEventArgs args)
    foreach (Assembly assy in AppDomain.CurrentDomain.GetAssemblies())
    if (assy.FullName == args.Name
    || assy.GetName().Name == args.Name)
    return assy;

It got me through my situation, maybe it’ll help someone else out there.

72. matthias says:

Hi, this solution works great for me. Previously i worked with ILMerge untill i started adding WPFs into my Programms.
    Is it possible to load assemblies like ILMerge’s internalize function?