If you follow our blog, you know that we’ve been tracking response to Sayed Hashimi and William Bartholomew’s Inside the Microsoft Build Engine: Using MSBuild and Team Foundation Build (Microsoft Press, 2009) and that the guys have been getting great reviews for the book.
The book’s ninth review on Amazon, posted on Friday, is another 5-star review, and it’s worth reading in its entirety:
The missing MSBuild manual
I’m a developer on MSBuild; Sayed wrote this book with our encouragement, and we reviewed it for accuracy and completeness, so I can recommend it. The documentation for MSBuild in 2.0 and 3.5 was not great; I consider this something like the missing manual. Unfortunately there aren’t many other MSBuild books; fortunately Sayed did a good job on this one.
We’re fixing a lot of what’s “missing” in MSBuild in the upcoming version 4.0 — I hope Sayed can do a 2nd edition when that comes out. Plus, our docs should be better then
Much thanks to Dan, a senior SDE at Microsoft, for his direct assessment and kind words. We’re glad you’re pleased with the book, Dan.
@MicrosoftPress on Twitter:
- RT @edbott: I’m assembling a #Win7 upgrade FAQ for publication next week. Questions you want answered? Fire away!
- #followfriday MS Press is proud to work with @llangit, @danlarson, @edbott, @saraford, @adammachanic, @alanpage, @debettap, and @jbruno!
- #followfriday MS Press is proud to work with @jamesnewkirk, @kimberlyltripp, @williamstanek, @wbarthol. @tedpattison, and @shawnwildermuth!
- #followfriday MS Press is proud to work with @robmiles, @paulrandal, @orinthomas, @michael_howard, and @lmoroney!
- #followfriday Microsoft Press is also proud to work with @aionescu and @markrussinovich (if that’s really Mark)!
- RT @saraford: CodePlex turns 3 years old tomorrow (June 27, 2009). Happy (early) Birthday CodePlex!
- FWIW, I’ve verified that the tweetless @markrussinovich is indeed Mark Russinovich.
- RT @SDET: Been incredibly busy lately, but wanted to share a few other HWTSAM reviews. There’s a review on… http://tinyurl.com/nhfwd2
- Developers, care about color in PDF ebooks? Rank your prefs: 1. screenshots, 2. tables, 3. code, etc. Thanks!
- When ranking color elements in PDFebooks, feel free to add other elements. My list is just an example. Thx for the feedback; keep it coming!
- @donwb We’re working on Kindle issues as well, you can rest assured.
- @vanillawafer Understood! We’re working on Kindle issues too.
- @JustBannister Thanks!
- @Tim_Long Thanks, Tim!
- @JMatthiesen Thanks for the feedback, Jordan!
- Developers, care about color in PDF ebooks? Rank your prefs. An example: 1. screenshots, 2. tables, 3. code, 4. etc. Thanks!
- @csharpzealot Thanks for the RT, Brian. Hey, I lived in Perth for a year once. It’s a beautiful city!
- Funny & thx! RT @nadimhaque: MS Press books are not as interesting as Douglas Coupland books. But so much more useful in the long run. 😉
- Windows Internals 5E is back “in stock” at Amazon. Order now before they run out again. http://bit.ly/2jF1c
- And, BTW, Windows Internals 5E has 29.5% more material than Windows Internals 4E: http://bit.ly/PvKan