Why do I get "product level is insufficient…" error when I run my SSIS package?

This is a common question at SSIS forum, so I decided to post an answer here to save myself from re-typing it again and again 🙂

Symptoms: you run a package and get an error either “product level is insufficient …” or “The task … cannot run on this edition of Integration Services. It requires a higher level edition.”

The error tells you that you have not installed SSIS on the machine where the package is running – probably you’ve only installed SQL Server and Workstation Components. Another possible reason is that the package uses components that require higher edition of SQL Server – e.g. Fuzzy and Data Mining transforms require Enterprise or Developer edition.

If you have installed Workstation Components, you can create, edit and debug packages in Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS). You can also run Import/Export Data Wizard and execute the resulting package inside the wizard. Other uses of SSIS (i.e. running with DTEXEC, inside Agent or custom tools) require full SSIS installation.

So to correct the problem, you either need to install SSIS on the production machine where package runs, or move the package execution to the machine where the full SSIS version is already installed.

If you decided to take the first route, make sure you have an appropriate license – installing SSIS requires server license, SSIS is not a “client tool” as DTS included with previous SQL Server versions was. Run the SQL Server setup from Servers folder on the original media (setup from Add/Remove programs only allows removing features). Select the SSIS checkbox on component selection page and finish the setup:

SQL Setup: check SSIS

Apply the latest Service Pack after the installation is finished.

If you still have this problem, please review the

Frequently asked questions:

Q: How do I check if I’ve installed SSIS?
A: One of the features installed with full SSIS, but not included in the Workstation Components setup is SSIS Service. So the simple way to check if you’ve installed SSIS is to check if this service is present.
Open Computer Management or SQL Server Configuration Management, open SQL Server 2005 Services node. If you’ve installed SSIS, there should be a service called SQL Server Integration Services. If this service is missing, SSIS is not installed on this machine.

Q: But I can run the package inside Business Intelligence Development Studio – this means I have the SSIS installed, right?
A: Not really. When you install Workstation Components (including BIDS) you get a subset of SSIS that allows you to design and debug packages in BIDS. To run the package standalone (DTEXEC, as Agent Job, etc), you need the full SSIS installation.

Q: I’ve installed SQL Server Enterprise/Developer edition, including SSIS. Why I’m still getting this error?
A: Most likely, you try to run the package on a different machine (e.g. SSIS is installed on a server, and you try to run the package on a workstation, usually using SSMS). You either need to install SSIS on the second (workstation) machine as well, or run the package on the server machine. To understand where the package is executed, see my earlier post.

Q: I run Import/Export Data Wizard and select Execute the Package Immediately option, but execution fails with error “product level is insufficient…”. What should I do?
A: Install Service Pack 1 or later (update: SP2 is available). The bug with execution in Import/Export Data Wizard has been fixed in SP1.

The error is also discussed in Books Online:

1. Salman says:

Even though I specifically choose "Integration Services" and the setup verifies that Integration  service is installed I still don’t see it under SQL Server Configuration Manager.. Why is that? I am running Windows XP Professional(SP2) SQL Server 2005, Standard Edition(SP1)

2. michen says:

This is strange. Do you see the service in the Services node in Computer Management control panel? I’m not an expert in Configuration Manager, try asking in Tools forum:  http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=84&SiteID=1

3. frank says:

Do you have a fix for Vista and SSIS?

4. Donna Ota says:

My configuration is:

Server A

– Windows 2003 Standard Edition w/SP1

– SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition w/SP1

– 2 named instances (DEV and QAT)

– Database Svcs., Reporting Svcs.,

Integration Svcs., Analysis Svcs.

installed and running on server

– SQL Server 2005 client tools

Workstation 1

– Windows XP Professional w/SP2

– SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition

client tools only – no local SQL Server

2005 Express

SSIS package – located in file share on

Server A

Excel spreadsheet for data source is located

file share on NAS device

I can execute the SSIS package from BIDS on Workstation 1 and from BIDS on Server A. I can execute the SSIS package from SQL Server Management Studio on Server A, but I cannot execute it from Management Studio on Workstation 1. I get the error: ‘The product level is insufficient for component "Excel Source" ‘

Are SSIS packages only supposed to be executed from the Management Studio on the server? What is the purpose of the Management Studio on my workstation if I cannot execute a SSIS package on the server? Am I missing a piece of the installation on my workstation? I do not want to execute the SSIS package on my workstation. I want to execute the SSIS package on the server from the Management Studio on my workstation and eventually schedule the SSIS package in a job from Management Studio on my workstation. Are you saying that is not possible?

5. michen says:

To Donna Ota:

When you execute the package from Management Studio, it runs the package on the client. Since you don’t have SSIS server components on workstation, you can’t run the package this way from the workstation.

You can however schedule the package as a job on the server from Management Studio on workstation, and then start this job – also from workstation. The job and the package will run on server in this case.

My previous post at http://blogs.msdn.com/michen/archive/2006/08/11/package-exec-location.aspx discussed exactly this issue.

6. Donna Ota says:

Thank you. I read your blog and now understand that I will have to create a job to run the SSIS package on the server. What I am still curious about is why the SSIS package executed in the Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) on my workstation? I know that there is no SSIS service running on my workstation. So is BIDS on my workstation just simulating what would happen on a server with the SSIS service? And I really won’t know if a SSIS package is working properly until I run it in a job on the server with SSIS? As a DBA, I may have many developers creating SSIS packages. Should they be doing all their testing of their SSIS packages through jobs on the server with SSIS?

7. michen says:

To Donna Ota:

The SSIS service itself has very little to do with this. SSIS requires a server license to execute package outside of BIDS – thus you need full SSIS install. Due to setup packaging full install comes with the service, but you may disable the service if you don’t need it.

The SSIS service does not execute packages, it just provides some functionality on top of SSIS runtime, like package monitoring. When you execute in BIDS without the service installed, just these services are not available. BIDS does not try emulate service.

8. Matthew says:

Where can I find the list of components and features that are supported by the different editions?  I’m getting this error when for a multi-flat file connection manager.

9. michen says:

The best page I know is this one:

Unfortunately, it is not very detailed.

The multi-flat file connection manager is supported by Standard and higher editions.

10. DWalker59 says:

According to the msdn forum page that you linked to in the original post, many people are sure that they have both SP1 and SSIS installed on their workstation, and they STILL get this error.

After SP1, can SSIS be installed with Developer Edition on a workstation (non-server OS)?

And, did this fix really make it into SQL 2005 SP1 (or SP2)?

Thanks.

David Walker

11. michen says:

To David Walker:

1) Regarding SP1: I only talked about SP1 in the context of the Import/Export Data Wizard.

There was a bug there, and it _is_ fixed in SP1.

But in all other cases, the behavior is by design, and as such there was no SP1 fix and there will be no fixes. You do need SSIS installed, otherwise you get this error.

2) The Developer Edition could always be installed on non-server OS, including SSIS. It worked since RTM and keeps working in SP1 and SP2, AFAIK.

12. DWalker59 says:

OK, thanks.  That helps clear things up.

David Walker

13. NY says:

Thanks a lot. This tip helped crack the 2 day deadlock.

14. Ron Maenpaa says:

Above you state that SSIS needs to be installed on the work station.  How do I install SSIS on my work station?

15. sdjamma says:

Might be helpful to show how people with client tools already installed should proceed. The setup screen shown above must be for a clean install only. When I run setup, all I see is a Feature Selection box with red "X" icons before Client Components and Documentaion, Samples, and Sample Databases. In other words, it allows me to uninstall what I’ve already got, but not add stuff I don’t already have.

This is so frustrating. Is MSFT committed to making things difficult? The Client Tools for SQL 2005 are really, really disappointing. The poor experience begins with installation and never stops.

16. michen says:

to sdjamma:

You need to run original setup from the CD.

The setup screen you describe appears if you run the setup from Add/Remove Programs control panel, and that only only allows to uninstall features.

Thanks for suggestion to clarify this.

17. sdjamma says:

Thanks for the quick response, but what I saw *was* the result of running from the setup cd files. My mistake seems to have been running setup.exe from the Tools subdirectory, rather than from the Servers subdirectory. Ugh.

18. Jitendra says:

I have created the package which transfers the files from remote machine to my local system. The package executes successfully after deployment but fails when I execute the same package trough the JOB. I have set the all permissions which are required to execute the job. Only the File System Task is not executing, rest is working fine.

19. Dear Sir,

I have just added a varible in the package and when I run it from the integration services on the server, it says that the product level is insufficient and the sql is standard edition sp2 with updates.

If using variables is not allowed in standard edition?

What I did is as under:

my machine: windows xp sp2, only workstation components and bol are installed.

I opened my ssms and logged in the database integration service which is standard edition with sp2 and run the package by clicking run package on the right click menu of the package in the stored packages folder.

What could be the reason of getting stuck else?

Thanks,