Crispin Cowan joins the Windows Security Team!

I am delighted to announce that Crispin Cowan has joined the core Windows Security Team!

For those of you who don’t know Crispin, Crispin is responsible for a number of very well respected Linux-based security technologies such as StackGuard, the Immunix Linux distro, SubDomain and AppArmor. I’ve known Crispin for many years, and have nothing but the utmost respect for the guy. He’s well published, wicked smart, a non-zealot and brutally pragmatic. In my opinion, AppArmor is shining example of his pragmatism, it’s simple and it works. What excites me the most is he’ll bring a different perspective to the Windows team, and I’m a big believer in stirring the pot!

Crispin will work in the same team that worked on User Account Control (UAC) and integrity levels, an area he knows a great deal about.

Welcome to Microsoft, Crispin!

1. Michael Howard just announced that we’ve hired Crispin Cowan ! This is incredibly awesome, I have a huge

2. Michael Howard just announced that we've hired Crispin Cowan ! This is incredibly awesome, I have

3. Dave says:

Crispin Cowan wants to join the team. You should only allow Crispin to start if you initiated the employment. Cancel or Allow?

4. Anonymous says:

"a non-zealot"

Ha! So those of us who adhere to a moral philosophy and refuse to sell out are zealots?

Given the choice between millions $ and poverty on the streets, I’d choose poverty rather than join Microsoft.

5. Bink.nu says:

6. Crispin Cowan, the Linux security expert behind StackGard, the Immunix Linux distro and AppArmor, has

7. Mike Diack says:

Can you clarify if his signing for Microsoft will stop him (contractually etc) developing AppArmor further?

As both a Windows developer and a Linux developer, I’d hate to think that this now forbids him from any further Linux work due to contracts etc.

Can you comment?

mike_diack@hotmail.com

8. Kser says:

Another linux guy bought, ops, contracted to delay the linux development and to try to fix the broken widows architecture…

9. Robert says:

Microsoft is really working hard. I cannot access these urls

10. michael_HOWARD says:

Robert, the immunix urls have been dead for a long time.

11. michael_HOWARD says:

Kser, Crispin is talented, that’s why he was hired.

12. Crispin Cowan para os que não o conheçem, é um respeitado nome em segurança que possui em sua bagagem

13. Michael,

I hope he will be working on a few things I suggested a few years back to the Windows Server Team, an autolockdown feature with does these:

1)lock down unused features/services/accounts-permissions/ports after X time of "non-use" since last "genuine" use

2) downgrade permissions/accounts after X time of non-use

3) a runtime to establish "least-priviledge" necessary permissions at runtime of executables

removing unneeded access to sockets, filesystem or other OS resources

4) autolockdown with GPO

5)a tool to re-enable things or uninstall completely the "feature" (e.f FTP component in IIS)

Stefan

14. e-yes says:

Да продажный пидорас потому что:)

15. Anonymous says:

This is what happens when you get lame companies like Novell treating the FLOSS community like crap.  Good luck Crispin, hope employment with MS serves you better than what Novell did.

16. It had to happen. Since joining Microsoft a few short months ago, Crispin Cowen now has a blog . He’s

17. Hey Ralph here, we wanted to let everyone know that Crispin Cowan has just started his own blog . Keep

18. Following close on the heels of security experts Matt Miller , Adam Shostack and Crispin Cowan joining