Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista Beta Available

From the blurb:

During the development of Windows Vista, several key investments were made to vastly improve overall quality, security, and reliability from previous versions of Windows. While we have made tremendous investments in Windows Vista to ensure backwards compatibility, some of the system enhancements, such as User Account Control, changes to the networking stack, and the new graphics model, make Windows Vista behave differently from previous versions of Windows. These investments impact Visual Studio 2005. The Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista Beta addresses areas of Visual Studio impacted by Vista enhancements. Many of the Windows Vista enhancements are documented at the Windows Vista Development Center.

The update is here.

1. Dean Harding says:

Do we only need this for RUNNING Visual Studio on Vista, or does it also contain updates for DEVELOPING for Vista?

I’m assuming the former, but it’s a little confusing 🙂

2. Dana Epp says:

Hey Michael,

What are your thoughts on VS2005SP1 suggesting that you need to have administrative privileges to run?? (See my post: http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/archives/000989.html)

I am disappointed that the dialog pops up on Vista like that when I run as a Standard User. Although I know at times you need to elevate to register libraries or debug admin issues… I would expect we move more and more away from that.

Your thoughts?

3. Dean Harding says:

Dana, I’m assuming that’s what this update addresses.

4. Mog says:

I have had big problems with this service pack and Visual C++ 2005 Express on Vista. I had no problems running as non-admin before but thought I’d install the update to pre-empt any problems.

The update introduces a new version of the run time libraries that need to be installed on the target machine before what you write can run. Unfortunately MS have stated on the forums that they will not put the update installer for download on the web, telling everyone to use the updated installer in the Visual Studio folder for distribution. Unfortunately Express edition does not have this installer!!

The only way you can run your programs is to get the end user to install visual studio and install sp1!!!!

I wasted an entire day at work trying to find a way around this and then a couple more hours to get back to a pre sp1 Visual C++.

Unless MS changes their policy and posts the updated installers on the web DO NOT INSTALL SP1.

Mog

5. Nelson says:

Having the same problems as Mog. My SP1 built apps will no longer run on any other machine that doesn’t have Visual Studio Express + SP1 installed. What kinda of crap is this?

6. Lee Hardy says:

Im doing some ASP.Net 2.0 coding, I assume that the applications will still be backwards compatible and run in pre sp1 vis studio?

7. tinko says:

I have the same problem as Nelson and if anybody knows a workaround or at least trivial way to get rid of SP1, please let me know

8. Steven says:

I guess I am having the same problem as Mog, Nelson, and Tinko. After SP1 I’m having trouble deploying to 2 of the 6 servers I’m supposed to update.

9. Cordu says:

I just installed Vista + VS2005 + VS2005 SP1 + SP1 Update for Vista on a new PC.

The ‘Web Site’ project option is missing. There are only links for opening/creating Web Application projects.

Installed AJAX. But no new AJAX enabled template.

Any solution?

Thanks,

10. Thogek says:

I am unable to install VS 2005 SP1 on my Window 2003 Server box (with VS 2005).  Repeated attempts to do so from Windows Update have resulted in installation failure, with an "0x643" error code, and no explanation.  I’m not finding much on this combination of information at MSDN or on the Web as a whole.

Any ideas?

11. John McGhie says:

Same here: Error Code: 0x643 in Windows 2003 R2.  I am having no luck finding what is wrong.

12. ID says:

Same here: Error Code: 0x643 on Windows 2003 SP2

13. TheM3Guy says:

OK guys, if anybody still has the probelm here is the solution:

"1) Open local security setting: Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy.

2) Click on "Software Restriction Policies" and if it shows "No Software Restriction Policies Defined" then insert a new (right click the left pane node).

3) 2 x click on the "Enforcement" entry and under "Apply software restriction policies to the following users:" section change to "All users except local administrators".

4) Maybe reboot

This should solve the problem (it did for me).. "

Cheers

14. JCD says:

Ditto: Error Code: 0x643 on Windows 2003 SP2 (see a pattern here?)