Suggestions for a Real World WPF Video, please?

Since creating the first set of RWWPF (Real World WPF) videos, we had had loads of great suggestions on what else we could be showing. One of the re-occuring themes is about using Blend & WPF for LOB (Line of Business) applications – such as customer account systems, and internal tools.

So, I am adding the post to gather some feedback about what people are specifically interested in seeing. Are folk after ‘How to make a data grid?’ or ‘How do I design and LOB for WPF?’ or ‘Why would I chose WPF for an LOB app?’ or even ‘I have an app, how do I make it look cool?’.

Whatever your thoughts, please reply to this post and we will try to capture as many suggestions in an LOB video as possible.

Thanks, Martin

1. Is there an easy way to simulate a winforms propertygrid? That is currently holding me up when considering switching some of our internal tools to wpf

2. smr1313 says:

What about a real world WPF/E website video.

I think that WPF and XAML are primed to take on the Web 2.0 world and I feel it would be interesting to see a real-world application of this in a Web 2.0 style format. Maybe you could walk us through what it takes to use Blend in a way to produce dynamic web content for the future.

3. Marlon Smith says:

LOB applications I think is the right direction, a large portion of applications in the enterprise are "themed" after Outlook or Microsoft Money.

Those themes have served us well and provided a base for applications to model their style and interactions.

WPF opens an infinite range of styles and interactions, which to me exciting and scary.

I get away from battleship grey, but where do I start with styles and what animations are appropriate for LOB?

Where is software UX going and are there standards to be applied for specific kinds of UI metaphors?  www.thirteen23.com has some great work, but are those types of UI interactions good for an LOB applications?

In addition there are a lot of best practices and frameworks like CAB that help with UI architecture.  Do those same best practices and frameworks still apply to WPF?

4. Oliver says:

my suggestion would be LOB, too. I am interested in seeing not just 5-minute apps that are nice to build and see but a real-world App would be great !!!

5. Ralph says:

It would be interesting to examine the compelling reasons (if any) for moving from WinForms to WPF.

6. martin.grayson says:

Great stuff – this is what I am intending to cover so far…

– What are the advantages building an LOB in WPF?

– What types of interactions are good for LOB apps? 3D, animations, non-standard templates?

– Where about the tools I am used to – e.g. property and data grids etc in WPF?

– I have just spent 3 months creating this great Win32 control, but still want to use WPF, is it wasted? (interop story)

– How do I go about designing an LOB application for WPF?

– A real example

This is my thinking currently – please keep your thoughts coming in.

Martin

7. martin.grayson says:

Also, on the WPF/E side of things, we are currently planning a WPF/E video based on some learnings from a couple of recent projects.

We also have some great things to share that will hopefully really speed up everyones WPF/E development!

Martin.

8. MIck says:

Might I suggest that you include some digital dashboard aka webparts but Smart Client based i.e. WPF

9. MIck says:

10. AJ says:

I have a point of sale I developed in Visual Studio 2005 and created my custom UX. WPF can be use to extend these  capabilities. Would like to see a business application that uses WPF and a database.

11. Scott Wojan says:

As far as an example LOB application, how about a simple CRM type app?  Companies and people along with their basic contact information.  You could come up with some interesting ways to display the hierarchy of companies and people.  Could also provide a search mechanism.

Or an even better example would be a simple portal implementation.

12. John Taylor says:

What about…change the Xbox app to get a list of Reports as XML and desplay them in a similar fashion to the games, but with report KPI details for the item blurb.

The blend code can then be added to a WPF windows app that could then copy them to a local drive to make them available offline.

When the app is online, the reports can be syncronised.

13. Michael says:

I’d just like to see more complete examples beyond ‘hello world’.  For instance, how do I go about creating WPF applications similar to those more involved examples shown by Microsoft and thirteen23.

14. John says:

I’d like to see some two way data binding using CLR, WPF and Blend…there seems to be little covering this topic.

15. Tommy says:

I think this would be VERY important.  I would like to see an array of rectangles and an array of buttons in XAML.  Then I would like to have one of the buttons run a storyboard on several of the rectangles.  The key thing is to have the logic in C# that drives which storyboard is run on which rectangle.  Remember I would like to see the buttons and the rectangles in arrays in both xaml and C#.

16. Geoff Davis says:

You know I haven’t seen a full blown CRUD example using WPF. An application based on Northwind for example.

17. Devora says:

A LOB application using WPF in a ways that benefit and really enhance the user experience not only visual effects that are very exciting at first but working with them all day long they lose that part and even worth  they might degrade the UX like light text on a dark background that can strain the eyes.  If you have ideas for using  some 3D to display  data that helps the user understand and grasp the information or unique ways to display the common parts like navigation, entry forms, list grid etc. that would be excellent.

Thanks!

18. David says:

A very common control that I use in my LOB applications are good old simple ListViews and ComboBoxes. But these are looking pretty dated. I really liked your glass button walk-through. It would be great to have a similar walk-through that explains how to modify ListViews and ComboBoxes to make simple stylistic changes to their templates, like giving ListViews custom glass column headers and giving ComboBoxes custom glass buttons to control their drop-downs.

I tried to apply the understanding that I got from your glass button walk-through, but ListViews and ComboBoxes seem much more complicated than Buttons due to the fact that have sub-pieces and it seems to me that I need to apply templates to the inner assets as part of the template to the outer asset. And some of the inner assets seem like they need to be named very specially… But I don’t know where to find these names. So I am quite lost!

A tutorial explaining how to make templates for common assets like these would be very helpful!!!