Seeing is believing – AX 2012 Developer Workspace

Here is a sneak preview of the new MorphX developer workspace in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012.

Notice the clear distinction between developer and application workspaces, and how the layout of the drop down menus makes it possbile to access tools with fewer clicks. You can launch the AX client directly in development mode using: AX32.exe -development.

This post is also available on Channel 9.

THIS POST IS PROVIDED AS-IS AND CONFERS NO RIGHTS.

1. Steffen Denize says:

This looks very interesting – one thing I couldn't help noticing is that Visual Studio components are present in the AOT. As far as I can gather from the post by you and others, is that developers have the option of either doing our coding in VS or AX. With the AOT residing in SQL, changes made either made in VS or AX will automatically and instantly be reflected. I for one can't wait to get my hands on AX2012 🙂

I'm looking forward to more posts

2. Chris Rothery says:

Such an enticing video but I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see more!.

Without the runtime there would you run forms, classes etc by right clicking in the aot/project?  or alt-tab back to the run-time version of the client (in 2009 typically I minimise the content pane while developing and to execute my changes I bring it back up by clicking the module in breadcrumb bar).  what's the new actual development experience like (new editor, intellisense additions, debugger changes – please god let there be improvements to the debugger…!) etc.

3. msmfp says:

Most forms are SDI, and thus do not run within the MDI workspace of the application/developer workspace. You can still launch the forms from the AOT or by pressing F5 in the editor – or you can go to the application workspace, and launch them from the menu or breadcrumb bar etc. Very much like in AX2009.

4. Chris Rothery says:

Thanks MFP.  As expected then.  It was just a vision I got of having to keep changing between codign and runtime environments.

Thanks for the post of the editor video  too.  I love the look of that.  I knew from your very early posts to expect something Visual Studio like and I'm pleased to say it looks like living up to expectations 🙂

5. paul says:

from what i read, tabbing/docking the developer's workspace  will not be available in the new release of AX. For me personally that came as a quite a dissapointment. But there are other superb and cool features that offset that 🙂

6. Arek Kwiatkowski says:

Hey!

Do You know the way to recognize (in x++ code) which workspace – development or application – is being opened? I need to recognize this in workspaceWindowCreated() method of the Info class and if it is development workspace I want to run some business logic.

Thanks, regards!