(This post was contributed by Reagan Templin, Lead Technical Writer for the MDS Team)
Recently, we released the first cumulative update (CU) for Master Data Services (MDS). This blog entry explains how to download and install that CU, as well as subsequent CUs for MDS.
Each Master Data Services (MDS) cumulative update is released as a stand-alone installer for SQL Server 2008 R2 Master Data Services. An update can be installed on a server without a previous installation of MDS, or it can be applied over an existing RTM installation or previously updated installation of MDS.
Note MDS is a feature of the versions and editions of SQL Server listed in Setup Requirements (Master Data Services) in SQL Server Books Online (BOL). Any computer where you install MDS must be licensed accordingly. For more information, refer to the End User License Agreement (EULA).
To download an MDS Update:
- At the top of the Knowledge Base page for the download, click View and request hotfix downloads.
- Read the terms of the agreement and click I Agree if you agree and want to continue.
- On the Hotfix Request page, select the necessary file to obtain this update.
- Specify an e-mail address to e-mail this update to, and type the characters in the picture. Then click Request hotfix.
- On the Hotfix Confirmation page, review the information and wait for the hotfix e-mail to arrive.
- From the hotfix e-mail, open the link and download the .Zip file.
- Extract the .Zip file and provide the password included in the hotfix e-mail. MasterDataServices.msi will be extracted to the location you specify.
Installing MDS cumulative updates on a server without an existing MDS installation
If your server does not have an existing MDS installation, you can follow the process documented in Installing and Configuring Master Data Services in SQL Server BOL. However, instead of running MasterDataServices.msi from the product media as directed in the documentation, run MasterDataServices.msi from the location where you extracted it in the download process above. Then create and configure the MDS database, Master Data Manager Web application, and MDS Web services as documented in SQL Server BOL.
Applying MDS cumulative updates to an existing MDS installation
If you apply an MDS cumulative update to an existing installation of MDS, you must run the installation package and then use Master Data Services Configuration Manager to upgrade the database.
Important Always test the update and upgrade process in a non-production environment before applying an update and upgrading the MDS database in your production environment.
Before you start the upgrade process:
- Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager and stop the Master Data Manager Web application and the MDS Web service (if enabled). You can do this either by stopping the application pool that contains the Web application and service, or you can stop the Web site that contains them. If you stop the application pool, you stop requests for all applications in that application pool. If you stop the Web site, you stop only traffic to the Web site and any applications and services it contains.
- Stop any operations, such as scheduled jobs, that affect the MDS database.
- Query mdm.tblSystem in the current MDS database. Review value for SchemaVersion and compare the value after you apply the MDS update to verify that the value has been increased.
- Take a current backup of the MDS database. If you are using the full recovery model, take a log backup immediately before you upgrade the database. If you are using the simple recovery model, take a full or differential database backup. For more information about backups, see “Backup Overview (SQL Server)” at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ms175477(SQL.105).aspx.
To apply an MDS cumulative update:
- On the server where you want to install the update, navigate to the location where you extracted MasterDataServices.msi and double-click it.
- The following message appears: A lower version of this product has been detected on your system. Would you like to upgrade your existing installation? Click Yes to proceed with the upgrade process.
- The Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Master Data Services installation wizard opens. Follow the instructions in the wizard to configure installation options and then click Install.
- After installation completes, Master Data Services Configuration Manager opens so you can upgrade the MDS database.
- Click Databases, and then click Select Database. Connect to the database you want to upgrade. Once the database is selected, the following message appears: This database requires an upgrade. You cannot change system settings until the database is upgraded.
- Click Upgrade Database. The Upgrade Database Wizard opens. Follow the instructions in the wizard to upgrade the database and then click Finish.
- To verify that the database upgrade was successful, connect to the MDS database and query mdm.tblSystem. The value for SchemaVersion should be increased and match the value as specified for the individual cumulative update.
If the update was unsuccessful, open Control Panel and use Programs and Features to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Master Data Services and then re-run the steps in this procedure.
After you apply the cumulative update and upgrade the database, start the Master Data Manager Web application, MDS Web service (if enabled in your environment), and any operations that you suspended prior to the upgrade process. Verify that your environment works as expected before you allow users to access the environment.