(This post was contributed by Reagan Templin, Lead Technical Writer for the MDS Team)
With the release of SQL Server 2008 R2, it’s a great time to check out the updated documentation and resources for the release, and for MDS in particular. Below you’ll find information to locate updated and new content.
SQL Server 2008 R2 Books Online
The MDS product documentation was first published in SQL Server 2008 R2 Books Online with the November CTP (at the same time as the first public release of MDS in SQL Server 2008 R2). The MDS User Education (UE) team has been working on improving and adding a lot of additional content that was not available for the first release of the content. You can find the MDS portion of Books Online on both MSDN and TechNet at the following URLs:
With this documentation update, you’ll see the following improvements:
- Overviews and workflows for getting started with MDS, installing and configuring MDS, and configuring security (in the Getting Started, Deployment, and Security and Protection nodes)
- Better installation, configuration, and uninstall documentation (in the Deployment node)
- Conceptual content with artwork tied to related procedural content (in the Operations node)
- More comprehensive security documentation (in the Security and Protection node)
- Updates to the technical reference to have more information about the staging tables and error messages (plus examples for importing data into those tables), Web configuration, and PowerShell cmdlets (in the Technical Reference node)
- Troubleshooting documentation for installation and configuration, staging, model deployment, and notifications (links from the Troubleshooting node out to topics elsewhere in the doc set)
If you were familiar with the content before, you’ll notice that some things have moved around a bit in the Table of Contents (TOC), such as some topics being moved out of Getting Started into Operations and out of Planning and Architecture to Deployment. We hope that by moving related content closer together, you’ll find things easier to navigate and have a more comprehensive view.
Introducing Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
Microsoft Press has released a free e-book for download, Introducing Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, which has a chapter about MDS, as well as chapters about the other exciting features and enhancements for the release. The URL to download the book is http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_press/archive/2010/04/14/free-ebook-introducing-microsoft-sql-server-2008-r2.aspx
Enjoy the new content, and keep giving us feedback. We really appreciate it!