Style is Serious


It’s been difficult to focus on work lately, let alone find the time to contemplate something worthy of a blog post.  The distraction of the presidential race is too compelling.  My wife and I are glued to the television, CNN, FOX, MSNBC.  I’m starting to have lucid dreams about dastardly swifti-boat word documents.  Just make it stop.  Just make it stop!

Those of you outside the U.S. probably find all this a bit humorous, but its actually rather serious business.  There has been so much media coverage lately and the mood around here is so pro civic duty, I actually spent a few minutes today thinking about who I might vote for in the upcoming election.  Generally, I start by making a list of the pros and cons for each candidate, highlighting the ones that most correspond to and diverge from my own personal views, and then I wad it up into a ball and toss it in the waste basket, because when it comes down to it there is only one factor that matters to me any more, and that’s style. 

It doesn’t matter so much what each candidate believes, what programs they are for or against, or their history of executing on them.  It doesn’t matter what system they are affiliated with or what platform they choose to build upon.  It’s just about style.  A candiate with a good style, easy to understand, direct and to the point gets my vote every time. 

I realize you may find this a bit unorthodox, but in my experience bad style is a sure sign of an unfocused mind; sloppiness leads to a whole host of potential problems.  So before I punch my chit this November I want to have a few questions answered by both Bush and Kerry.  Do you put the open curly on the same line or the next?  Do you indent?  How many characters? 4? 2? 8?!!  Whitespace or tabs? 

Style is serious.

But I digress.

Matt

Comments (7)

  1. Eric Newton says:

    They were chads not chits 😉

    hanging chads ruined AL Gore’s presidential run… believe that and I’ve got a bridge I’d like to sell you.

  2. I love that connection you made.

    I’d certainly prefer my candidate to put his curly braces in the same spot I do. But I think I’d prefer somebody who does it differently than me 100% of the time to someone who does it like me 80% of the time and different the other 20% of the time. Like you said: "Style is serious."

    Anyway, there actually is a candidate who "formats his code" like I do. Well, that analogy goes screwy in this case–he actually IS a programmer, and I’ve never seen his source… But a two party system complicates voting, so I suppose I need to pay attention to the main two guys.

  3. quaid says:

    I heard John Kerry used to use hungarian notation during his 4 month Vietnam war stint.

  4. Ah, hell, I’m voting Bush. Ten to one he wouldn’t even know what a curly brace was.

    If he isn’t a stereotypical Visual Basic coder, I don’t know who is.

    (Yes, I am a VB coder, so I’m allowed to make fun of myself.)

  5. > 4? 2? 8?!!

    3. Free your mind from binary 🙂

  6. Matt says:

    Three is just a compromise. Never compromise on style!

  7. Well I don’t know.

    According to CBS and 60 Minutes it appears the Texas Air National Guard was using machines back in the early 70’s which appear to have been running software awfully similar to Microsoft Word and LaserJet printers. Perhaps George Bush knows a lot more about programming and computers than he might admit from his time in the Guard during the 70s with having all those fancy computers around.

    I heard Michael Moore is coming out with a new documentary which proves the Bush White House has direct ties to the Microsoft royal family and that he heard about potential virus attacks and did nothing.

    Personally, I think George Bush would know enough to delegate the job of writing code to someone more qualified and to rely on their professional judgment when deciding on where to put the curly brace.

Skip to main content