Installing the Microsoft class driver(s) for USB Audio devices

Back in 2010 I wrote about how to install the Microsoft class drivers on audio hardware that was built to the Intel High Definition Audio specification.

It is also possible to install a Microsoft class driver on audio hardware that was built to the USB Audio specification. Pretty much all versions of Windows have a class driver that supports the USB Audio 1.0 spec; builds 14912 and later (which are only available to Insiders right now) also support the USB Audio 2.0 spec, with some caveats.

The steps for PC are the same as in the linked post, but the name of the driver will either be “USB Audio Device” (if the hardware is built to the USB Audio 1.0 spec) or “USB Audio 2.0” (if the hardware is built to the USB Audio 2.0 spec.)

1. Start | Device Manager
  2. Expand Sound, video, and game controllers
  3. Right-click the device in question and choose Update driver

4. Choose Manually install a driver

5. Choose Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer

• If you have the manufacturer’s driver installed, that will be in the list
    • If you see USB Audio Device in the list, that is the Microsoft class driver for USB Audio 1.0 hardware
    • If you see USB Audio 2.0 in the list, that is the Microsoft class driver for USB Audio 2.0 hardware (as shown in the screenshot)
  6. Pick the driver you want from the list and choose Next; it will install
  7. If the device was in use at the time, you may be prompted to restart; if so, the old driver will still be in effect until you restart
  8. You can repeat the steps at any time, for example if you want to put the manufacturer’s driver back

The USB audio class drivers also work on Windows Phone. To use them:

1. Verify you have a phone that supports “USB host mode”
    For example, from the Lumia 950 specs
  2. Plug in the USB audio device to the phone
  3. That’s it!

1. Arun says:

I recently bought a Lumia 950XL. I tried connecting Blue Yeti Pro mic using a USB 3.0 cable to it. But the mic is not recognized. Is there anything being done to improve the usb/midi audio driver situation in windows 10 mobile? Also, after upgrading my older pcs to windows 10, none of my usb audio devices (Behringer Xenyx 1622 mixer, Roland SH-201, Zoom G9.2tt, Boss GS-10 are being recognized). Most of these manufacturers don’t seem to be bothered about windows 10 and are not willing to update the drivers. Now all these devices are rendered completely useless as usb audio interfaces unless I revert back to windows 7. Is MS doing something to address such issues in windows 10 builds? This scenario probably gives you a picture of why so many folks don’t prefer not to update to W10 from W7 while MS is pushing aggressively the users towards W10. Unless these important basic productivity affecting issues are taken care (which practically makes expensive equipment that the user has invested in completely useless), there is no point in MS pushing people to update to Windows 10 with just some fancy minor user interface updates (such as dark theme).

1. Hi Arun. Thanks for your feedback. I will address the two issues you raised separately.

> Blue Yeti Pro mic on Lumia 950XL is not recognized

Here’s the current picture:

1. USB Audio 1.0 devices work on the Lumia 950 XL now, both playback and recording
      2. USB Audio 2.0 devices work on the Lumia 950 XL if you install a build >= 14912, for playback only
      3. USB Audio 2.0 recording devices will work on the Lumia 950 XL once we add recording support to the class driver*

I took a look at http://www.bluemic.com/products/yeti-pro/ and based on the bitrate advertised I think this is a USB Audio 2.0 device (USB Audio 1.0 can’t deliver that kind of throughput.) So once we add recording support to the class driver it should work with your Lumia 950 XL.

* https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/09/21/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14931-for-pc/
      “This is an early version of the driver that does not have all features enabled, for e.g.: only playback (render) is supported with this version. Recording (capture) support is scheduled to arrive in later iterations.”

> USB audio devices are rendered completely useless as usb audio interfaces unless I revert back to windows 7

Ouch. That’s not supposed to happen. Any peripheral that works on Windows 7 is supposed to work on Windows 10 as well; the driver you had installed on Windows 7 should be carried forward by the upgrade, and Windows 10 should work with that driver just as well as Windows 7 did.

Or if there’s a better driver on Windows Update, you might get that; but the better driver should be, um, well, better.

So… I think there’s a bug here (or perhaps a couple of bugs.) Would you be willing to help us track it down? The simplest way to get the information to us would be to install Windows 10 again, and use the Feedback Hub to submit a “problem” feedback under Hardware, Devices, and Drivers | Audio, sound, and volume.

This will gather some logs; if you use the “Copy Link” feature to send me a direct link, I can look at the logs and see if they give us all the info we need, or I might ask you for more.

1. Arun says:

Hi Maurits,
        Thank you very much for the reply. I am looking forward to using the Lumia 950XL with my Blue Yeti Pro mic once the new driver/OS updates with recording options are available.

With regards to usb audio interfaces, I have tried (many times) various methods of installing/un-installing the usb audio interface drivers for Roland SH-201, Boss GS-10, Zoom G9.2tt and more recently Behringer Xenyx 1622. I will try them once again some time next week when I get some time and send any troubleshooting information to you as feedback. To begin with here are the details of what I have attempted and the links to drivers (from the manufacturer’s website) that I have tried using in windows 10.

I had written Roland about SH-201 and they said that they would no longer update the drivers for this product beyond Windows 8. This synthesizer was in the market as late as 2010. Here is the link to the available driver for windows 8/windows 7 at their website. The irony is that some of the functions of this synth can only be changed using the software provided by the company which will not work unless the operating system recognizes the hardware through drivers.

Here is a link for drivers of Boss GS-10

Similarly I tried installing the drivers for Zoom G9.2tt. But the Windows 10 system is unable to recognize it. Here is the link for the drivers:

I even tried using the new G-series drivers windows 10 version given in the link below for a similar newer product. It still does not work.

Behringer website claims that asio4all drivers should be compatible for Xenyx 1622. But they are not. Here is the link:

All these have been working with windows 7 and most of them were ok with windows 8 too. But now all these equipment are pretty much useless as usb audio interfaces with Windows 10. I could get the Behringer Xenyx 1622 to playback media from the pc through USB. But it is not recognized by the PC as an audio input device through usb. What concerns me most (regarding Windows 10) is the fact that these devices are made by different manufacturers and yet were working with Windows 7. But with windows 10, none of them are working anymore.

Thanking you,
        Arun

1. MARAT BAKIROV says:

To Arun.

do these devices work with ASIO driver?

1. Arun says:

Hi Mauritis,
            I could get Roland SH201 and Boss GS-10 working by using the methods suggested through a youtube video showing how to get older roland devices operational with windows 10. But the Behringer usb mixer Xenyx 1622 is still not working as it should. The driver seems to install properly without any error message but input through USB does not function. I have submitted a feedback (8/1/2016 around 8:10 pm EST) through feedback hub in hardware devices topic under sub section usb attached devices. I have attached three screen shots of supposedly installation event logs along with this feedback in the feedback hub I was trying to get a link to the feedback submitted. But I am unable to get the link from the feedback hub app.

And to answer the other question, asio4all does not seem to be helpful. None of the attempts with asio4all yielded positive results.

2. Arun says:

Hi Maurits,
          Here is the feedback link: https://aka.ms/Ei9rsy. This is about Behringer X1622 usb audio driver installation on windows 10. Audio input through usb does not function after installation.

1. Hi Arun, unfortunately logs did not come through in the Feedback Hub like we expected. Could you gather logs following the blog post here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/matthew_van_eerde/2017/01/09/collecting-audio-logs-the-old-fashioned-way/?

Once you have the resulting zip file, could you email us the zip file at (mateer at microsoft dot com)?

Thanks,
            Troy

2. cas77 says:

Hi,
    I’ve tried it and I have noticed that
    the USB 2.0 Audio support is up to 24bit/44.1 kHz at the moment. What about 96kHz and 192kHz? Do you plan to implement it, too?

1. Thanks for trying out the class driver. High bit rate format support is on our list.

Would you be willing to submit feedback for this in the Feedback Hub, under Hardware, Devices, and Drivers | Audio, sound, and volume; then use the “Copy Link” feature to send me a link?

Once the high bit rate format support hits mainline I can put a comment in the Feedback Hub with the build number that has support.

1. cas77 says:

Hallo Maurits,
        feedback-hub:?contextid=68&feedbackid=ea926916-c255-46b0-a01a-347d76fa9f8c&form=1&src=2
        Regards,
        cas

2. cas77 says:

Hi Maurits,
        the USB 2.0 Audio on Windows is important right now, but do you plan to implement the USB Audio Device Class 3.0 one day, too?
        Regards,
        Cas

1. cas77 says:

Hi Maurits,
          feedback-hub:?contextid=68&feedbackid=7c295f04-2f0e-4825-9774-e926352063d4&form=1&src=2
          Regards,
          Cas

3. emil says:

Hi, What about enable audio recording from external mic during video recording? thanks !

4. TG says:

I updated to 14931 and tried the install process you provided but on “High Audio Definition Device” is listed among the compatible drivers, not the expected “USB Audio 2.0” — is there a way to specifically download the latter?

5. cas77 says:

Hi Maurits,
    Regards,
    Cas

1. A reasonable question. Can you submit a “suggestion” in the Feedback Hub, under Hardware, Devices, and Drivers | Audio, sound, and volume, and then post a feedback-hub: link here so like-minded people can upvote it?

1. cas77 says:

Hi Maurits,
        Regards,
        Cas

6. Shane says:

Hi Maurits, great work so far I am excited to see this finally being built into windows!

I am having issues with the new class driver in Exclusive mode (driven from Roon to my Esoteric K-01x USB Dac. I submitted feedback on this issue here: feedback-hub:?contextid=68&feedbackid=312a4668-5d06-426d-80ba-be1e87aa0615&form=1&src=2

7. Happy says:

Tried this on a Focusrite 18i20 (1st gen) which is USB compliant (One of the few USB audio devices which work under Linux).
    The USB 2.0 driver is in the list, After selecting and reboot the device manager shows and exclamation mark for this driver.
    Going back to let Window select the best driver,which find the 18i20 driver, audio works again

1. Thanks for giving the class driver a try!

We’re tracking this under this feedback item: http://aka.ms/Cdj9ed . We’ve figured out why the driver is Code 10’ing and we’re trying to decide what to do about it.

8. delpinsky says:

Hi Maurits. I bought a Lumia 950 XL one moth ago and with it I bought also an external USB audio DAC: LG Hi-Fi Plus B&O PLAY. With the Anniversary Update build, no way to make it work. A notification told me the USB device could not work and to try it on a PC. So I decided to join the fast ring channel and since 2 builds (now 14936), at least when I connect the USB DAC and then the earphones, the DAC is recognized as external screen and the audio works, badly but works. Basically the audio is distorted and the pitch is wrong, lowered. Connecting the DAC, the Gadget app doesn’t see it. But when it’s plugged, the earphones buttons + – and on/off work. Should I expect improvements on this side, so my audio DAC will work properly, everntually? I read on other forums that DACs such as Dragonfly works perfectly. Would be also appreciated a complete audio interface with paramenters to adjust, such as sample rate/frequency and so on. I’m used that on Android, Poweramp app for example, in the latest builds let you interact directly with the audio DAC of the phone. In the meanwhile I send my feedback in the Feedback Hub hoping my DAC will work, since it sounds a lot better than the built in Qualcomm DAC. Thanks in advace!

1. Thanks for the detailed response!

Would you be willing to submit each of these via the Feedback Hub? https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/matthew_van_eerde/2016/09/26/report-problems-with-logs-and-suggest-features-with-the-feedback-hub/

> the DAC is recognized as external screen

This should be a “problem” report under “Mobile Environment | Volume and audio controls”. Include a screenshot.

> the audio is distorted and the pitch is wrong, lowered

This should be a “problem” report under “Hardware, Devices, and Drivers | Audio, sound, and volume”. Include “Media issues” logs of the problem in action

> the Gadget app doesn’t see it

This should be a “problem” report under “Apps and Games | Gadgets”

1. delpinsky says:

Thank you so much for your reply, Maurits. I took the time to send my feedback in the proper sections as you suggested. I made 3 videos and attached the links in my feedback text, so they can see the issue and hear the issue, since I also connected the DAC with a 3,5″ jack to the A/V Receiver (aux-in) instead of plugging the earphones, so you can actually hear the distorted audio. In the Italian version of the Feedback App on my Lumia, the “Gadgets” sub-category under Apps and Games, doesn’t exists, so I sent that particular feedback in the category: Hardware, Devices, and Drivers | USB connected devices (or whatever is written in English). I guess the moderators will move the feedback in the correct section, looking at the title: “The Gadget app doesn’t recognize my USB DAC”.
        Thanks once again, hoping this isse can be easily fixed in one of the next fast ring builds.

1. delpinsky says:

I’m wondering if I have to keep on posting my issue on the Feedback HUB or just have to wait that someday someone will see my issue with the USB DAC and try to fix it. Perhaps I’m the only one with a Windows mobile phone using this LG DAC by Bang & Ofulsen…. and if it’s a matter of “upvotes” to make visible an issue, I’m at the bottom of the list for sure :)

9. Alex says:

When can we expect USB Audio class 2 support to hit regular Windows 10?

1. stefan says:

How can I obtain this driver? Can I install it on windows 8.1?

1. The driver comes as part of Windows. It is included in Windows builds 14912 and later. It is not possible to apply it to older versions of Windows; in particular, there is no way to download it from somewhere.

10. Dee says:

Hi Maurits, I’ve just updated 950xl to 14393.321, and tried using with my “Schiit Bifrost Multibit” usb DAC. Unfortunately when connected there is an OS message that appears saying device not working correctly and try connecting to pc instead. However, my usb cable lights up blue and the dac “clicks” which is registering a connection to the host. I use the dac with my laptop usually with Windows 10 drivers bit want FYI use my phone as source…. Any ideas? Thanks, Rgds, Dee.

1. I took a look at the specs for your USB Audio device and it appears to be USB Audio 2.0 http://schiit.com/products/bifrost

The Windows build you’re running (14393) has a USB Audio 1.0 driver built in, but not a USB Audio 2.0 driver

If you join the Windows Insider program and get a build >= 14912, that will include the USB Audio 2.0 driver; this should work with your USB Audio device. If it doesn’t, please file feedback.

In particular, it looks like at this time the current builds are:

* Windows Insider Fast for Mobile: 14946 (this DOES have the USB Audio 2.0 driver)
      * Windows Insider Slow for Mobile: 14393 (DOES NOT have it)
      * Windows Insider Fast for PC: 14946 (DOES have it)
      * Windows Insider Slow for PC: 14931 (DOES have it)

11. JS says:

Hi Maurits,

I recently bought a Teac AI-101DA and connected it to my Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 (14931.1000 Korean). I noticed something:

1) it is recognized as a USB 2.0 Audio device but is fixed at 24-bit, 32 KHz.
    2) after installing Teac’s driver, it does not sound at all with no volume meter in Sound panel (volume meter completely disappeared), and
    3) in Properties panel for the Teac, there is no “Enhancement” nor “Advanced” tabs, and “Level” tab is broken. (has no content in it.)

I don’t know whether these problems from Teac’s driver or from some conflicts with the new USB audio driver… Anyway it just works on my Raspberry Pi 2 (with Raspbian)

1. Hi JS – thanks for giving the class driver a try!

For the 24-bit, 32 kHz issue I believe you’re running into this http://aka.ms/Slvjqe which is fixed in 14940 and later builds.

12. Casimir says:

Hi Maurits,
    I have no problem to play the 24bit/192kHz FlLACs files with my Meridian Explorer now (Build 14955).
    I can switch between the Meridian ASIO and USB 2.0 Audio driver without problems, too.
    Regards,
    Cas

13. Bernd Ludwig says:

Just tried an USB_Audio 2.0 Device (XMOS XS1) with its Evaluation driver. Works fine – but, of couse, there some noise after 1 hour’s use (evaluation sw) ….
    Since I’m content with 24/96 for the time being – can I use the Win10 1.0 driver until the 2.0 is out?
    It doesnts show up when looking for drivers.

1. The USB Audio 1.0 driver will only work on USB Audio 1.0 devices, not USB Audio 2.0.

1. Bernd Ludwig says:

Thanks!

14. zahidul amin says:

It works fine

15. this works amazingly well ,what a relief when updating drivers from new hard ware installs ,constantly switching out drives and memory and I-7 cores. kids trashed this p.c until I resurrected it by using cmos jump method on main board.took almostb5 minutes .

16. Justin says:

Is the Alcatel Idol 4S supported? I looked high and long for any information on this and the most specific specification I could find is”USB-C” no specifics past that. I need to know so if it might work I’ll check. I’m not going to attempt to get it to work if it is not supposed to work.

1. I found this set of specs for the IDOL 4S http://www.alcatelonetouch.us/idol-4s-no-vr (click on Technical Specifications)

It looks like it has a micro-USB port; I see no mention of host mode, so I while I think you can plug it in to a PC as a peripheral, I don’t think it supports plugging peripherals into it.

But just to be sure I would suggest contacting Alcatel to confirm.

17. Storm_cd says:

Hi Maurits,
    I had a test in early build when I firstly saw the UAC2.0 support news, it failed. But yesterday I was glad that it ran successfully with a USB D/A on PC with latest build. But for Lumia 930, it didn’t work. I don’t see any option regarding audio I/O settings in mobile settings. Hope mobiles also can have a smooth support UAC. Could you please elaborate more on UAC support on mobiles?

1. delpinsky says:

Yeah, I also would like to now more about the support of USB Audio 2.0 on mobile phones. After around 5 fast-ring builds already, there is no news for my USB DAC LG Hi-Fi Plus. No fix. Audio still distorted. At least, if there was a way to modify the pitch using a tool like Interop Tools, messing around with the registry of my Lumia 950 XL, I could try to fix the issue myself.

1. delpinsky says:

http://aka.ms/Ankf23 – here it is, the link of the feeback about the distorted audio. Thanks Matthew!

1. Hi delpinsky, could you add traces of the problem to your feedback item by following the instructions found here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/matthew_van_eerde/2016/09/30/adding-logs-to-a-reported-problem-in-feedback-hub/?

2. delpinsky says:

Hi Tray, I sent the monitoring file in this very moment. For this and another feedback: http://aka.ms/Rkrhj5 about DAC recognised as external screen. I tried also for the feedback about the gadget app not seeing the DAC, here http://aka.ms/Eu9ia3 , but there’s an issue starting the monitoring LOL.

2. delpinsky says:

Just a small update from the fast-ring build 15007: in the gadget app, main window no sign of any attached device. BUT if I tap on + button, to add a device in the preferences I see an “AUDIO: HM connected. – HM is the ID of my LG Hi-Fi Plus USB DAC. The audio remains broken/distorted, but at least something begins to go in the right direction, it seems… I added log/monitoring file and attached screenshot to my “Gadget App” feedback in the HUB.

2. If I read the specs ( http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_930-6227.php ) correctly, the Lumia 930 USB hardware does not support host mode, so external USB peripherals will not work with it; this includes USB Audio devices as well as things like “on the go” USB hard drives etc.

18. Gustav says:

Hi Maurits,

Running 14965.1001.

When trying to update the manufacturer provided driver for my DAC (Schiit Yggdrasil, http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil) to the new USB 2.0 audio driver I get a “This device cannot start. (Code 10)” message.

1. Hi Gustav, thanks for giving the driver a try.

Would you be willing to submit a “problem report” and share a direct link? https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/matthew_van_eerde/2016/09/26/report-problems-with-logs-and-suggest-features-with-the-feedback-hub/

1. Gustav says:

Problem remains with 14971 :(

19. Mark says:

It would be really great if my Lumia 950 xl would allow my Bluetooth sennheiser urbanite headphones to work with the equalizer app.

20. Full inu says:

Two simple questions:
    1) If there a list of supported devices?
    2) Could I request a built-in support for E-MU 0202 sound card?

1. 1) Any device with a “compatible ID” of USB\Class_01&SubClass_??&Prot_20 “should” work. We would like you to try it and tell us if it *does* work.
      2) Please plug in the E-MU 0202 and try it – if it doesn’t work, please file feedback as described here ( https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/matthew_van_eerde/2016/09/26/report-problems-with-logs-and-suggest-features-with-the-feedback-hub/ ) and reply on this thread with a direct link.

1. Full inu says:

I filled bug-report with my USB 2.0 Audio device, and it’s here: https://aka.ms/Bzve8t

21. Janet says:

Seriously. IS NO LONGER THERE. After my new pc decided to upgrade I have no audio. I need to install it again. I have been trying to get it fix for 9 months. and the computer was purchased last December!

Nobody seems to know how to fix it and every one wants to charge me for a program to fix something I should already have. What can you do about that. I spent quite a lot of money and have the worst issues. Now you all want to charge me to fix an issue that I did not cause. I need the sound card / usb audio interface because is not longer there. Help me PLEASE!!!!

1. delpinsky says:

A software issue can be easily fixed without any big trouble, usually. What kind of issue do you have, exactly? Did you updrage to USB audio 2.0 and now no sound? If you can, write down your PC config. You can use a software like Speccy to know exactly what harware you have.

22. Gregg Hutzler says:

Way doing my.

23. scott says:

I’m on build 14986 using Bootcamp on Mac. I have a USB dac (no driver is required) which is unrecognized in the device manager. Clicking update driver as above yields no USB audio driver 2 as illustrated.

24. ricahard says:

microphone on camera used as a megaphone, are volume all the way out! does microsoft have a good one? there?

25. Matt says:

Using build 14986, my Creative E1 Sound Blaster uses the Audio Class 1.0 driver, not the 2.0. If I try to force the 2.0, the ‘device doesn’t start’. Is there a reason for this?

1. bbhong says:

Sound Blaster E1 seems not a usb audio class 2.0 compliant device. As a result, you cannot use usb audio class 2 driver

26. bbhong says:

Don’t want to try the insider build on my production workstation.

Can anyone confirm that the in box driver works with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd generation please?

Skip to main content