Blown movie lines – The Matrix

This blog post has moved to https://matthewvaneerde.wordpress.com/2008/03/19/blown-movie-lines-the-matrix/

1. cpurick says:

Cool. When I finally figured out what this line meant, I realized the actor had spoken it incorrectly.  I just typed it into Google to see if anyone had written about it.

2. David says:

haha..yeah me too…the way he says that line always annoyed me so i figured I’d look it up.

Thanks for the post.

3. Jason says:

Likewise. Sticks out like a sore thumb whenever I watch it.

4. Scott says:

Finally, someone else has come forward and agrees with me.  I’m not alone… i’m not alone..

Seriously, Joe Pantoliano is usually a solid actor, but his performance, in parts of this movie, seems phoned in.  The script supervisor, editors and ultimately the Directors are also to blame here.. Someone should have stepped in and let Joe know he had botched it.

5. Really? I interpreted that line entirely differently. says:

Because of the way he says it, I interpreted it to mean that the "construct program" is general, they have a copy and the Matrix has a copy it runs for people in it. "The image translators work for the construct program" as in they feed data back to it, so you can't observe the matrix in this way without it observing you. Then he jumps to the next point, about there being way too much data anyway, because he is nervous, because as we find out, he is looking for agent Smith.

Reading what you say, you're probably right about what the writers intended, but I wonder if the actor didn't interpret it like I did.

6. TommyNott says:

LOL I caught this too… the way he stresses the word "for" really throws the sentence off – a simpler version of what you put in this article, and still correct, would be: "Well, the image translators work for the CONSTRUCT PROGRAM – but there's way too much information to decode the Matrix" – thereby explaining why people not "jacked in" could watch people in the construct program (like when they watched Neo and Morpheus fight), but when it comes time to look at the Matrix, all they can see is code (as the image translators for those monitors cannot decode all the info of the Matrix)… great post for those of us who like to nitpick (although, admittedly, it WAS a major mis-delivery of the line that I think throws most people off at first).

7. another one says:

haha, good to see that there are others who are as obsessed with the matrix as i am.

8. Ross Youngbloood says:

And I find this on a MSDN forum. Awesome :).

9. Scott says:

Ahhhhh, I’m so glad I’m not the only one who thought this… surely the directors realised this wasn’t read right?!

Skip to main content