Windows Home Server, Day II

Maybe it’s just because my new box is setting next to me on the desk, but it’s pretty loud. I suspect it’s all the case fans. I would just pull the plug on some of the fans, but the temperature on the box slowly creeps up over time.

Based on data from the AMD CPU app, my current theory is that the CPU is running at full power all the time, despite having installed the Cool’n’Quiet driver. A little digging revealed that I need to set my power profile to “Minimal Power Management”. Unfortunately, that one setting isn’t showing up in my profile list. I’m going to let this slide until I install the next build of the OS.

Anyhow… Last night’s task was to install the two 500GB drives. Only after getting them mounted did I realized I’d forgotten to pull the jumper which enables 3GB SATA 2 mode. With that fixed, the remaining task was to snake all the appropriate power and SATA cables to the right location. External USB storage would be a lot simpler, but doesn’t have the same tech geek factor. 🙂

The system booted normally. In the server console app, the two new drives appeared. I simply gave the OK to use them, and seconds later it was done. 1.06 TB of storage!

Next steps: Installing the client software on the other machines in my house.

1. SEOGuru says:

How many and what type of sites are you running with that setup?

2. Bryant Likes says:

Home Server is on my radar and I’m interested, but where can you get it? Is there a beta or some place to download it?

Thanks!

3. Matt Pietrek says:

SEOGuru: Home Server’s not focused on being a web server (If I’m understanding your question correctly.)

Bryant: There’s no public beta at this moment. I actually don’t know the future plans in any detail where I could comment on them.

4. kfarmer says:

1.0TB?  How quaint 😉

We built a large box this past summer.  I think we’re somewhere around 2TB, including about 300MB in a RAID array for fault tolerance.  We tossed R2 x64 on there, and have it hosting Exchange, Web, and Sql in virtual machines.

Works out pretty well, actually, and is fairly quiet.  I’d give you the model info for that, but I don’t recall at the moment.

5. Norman Diamond says:

> External USB storage would be a lot simpler, but doesn’t have the same tech geek factor. 🙂

External USB storage would give you practice in reading chkdsk event logs.  That’s not geeky enough for you?  🙁

kfarmer said:

> I think we’re somewhere around 2TB

That’s a mass market item now.  A few days ago I saw a pile of 2TB SANs in Bic Camera for around 160,000 yen each, retail.  I forgot if the maker was Buffalo or IO Data.  Two other piles had 1TB SANs by both of those makers.  Yeah the geek factor is gone now.

6. Lorenzo says:

I know that on XP to engange Cool’n’quiet or Speedstep you have to use the "Portable/Laptop" power scheme. I know it is crazy (it’s not a portable!) but this is the way to tell xp "Hey, I have a power-aware CPU". Is this power scheme in Power Options for Home Server?