Hello, Blog!

So… My life has finally settled down a bit, and I find myself working for The Man, here in Redmond WA.

This first post is really just to introduce myself a bit, and tell you where I think this blog will be going.

I’ve been in software development for 16 years.   Three months ago, I joined the Visual Studio group, and am working on the Team System team.  Prior to that, I was with Compuware’s NuMega lab, where I worked on a variety of products, most notably, BoundsChecker for Windows.

The things I’ll talk about include:

• Interesting technical tidbits gleaned from my current work
  • War stories from my software development past
  • How I got to this stage of my life
  • Musical musings du jour
  • Random thoughts worthy of putting here

Probably the closest model for my blog is Raymond Chen’s.  Even though he flamed one of my MSDN articles, I still admire the heck out of Raymond’s ability to explain why various Windows oddities are the way they are.

Another prodigious blogger (and a good friend of mine) is Chris Sells.  It constantly amazes me how good his blog is, and how much bandwidth he has.

That’s it for this first post.  More later!

1. David Levine says:

It’s great to see you’ve got a blog up here. I’ve been reading your books and articles for years.

re: the flame….I could not have shipped product back in the old days if it wasn’t for your insights into the OS. There were too many undocumented things we HAD to do to get the code to work at all, and the insight I gained made it possible to either avoid a problem completely or hack around it where necessary.

I’ve always assumed that relying on an undoc’d feature was liable to break in a future version, but that was a whole lot better then a guarantee that the code would stay broken if I did not use it.

I’m hoping you keep that great stuff coming. More internals, please.

2. Dave Seidel says:

Hey, Matt, welcome to blogland!

You’ll be happy to know that my daughters have both become HUGE AC/DC fans. During the last couple weeks of the school year, we listened to "Back in Black" every morning at 7:00 in the car on the way to school. (Have you heard Living Color’s cover, BTW?)

3. Seth McCarus says:

Wow, cool! I’m excited to have found your blog, I’m looking forward to all kinds of good stuff on it. And congratulations on the job at Microsoft; I’m amazed it took this long for you to officially join them!

4. Dino Esposito says:

Hi Matt

welcome in the blogsphere. You’re my hero too!

5. Another huge fan. Welcome!

6. Zilu says:

nice to see you & ur blog, me tooo a big Matt fan since the greate win32 secret book 😉

7. Cliff Dabrowski says:

Congrats Matt!

Been waiting and wondering if you would make it into the blogsphere.

8. Jason Geffner says:

Matt, been a big fan of your work for years. I interned at Compuware last summer, and will be starting full-time work with Microsoft in September. Small world!

Btw, hi Cliff! 🙂

9. Fei Liu says:

OMG, It’s Matt Pietrek’s Blog!!! Looking forward to more secrets from you!

10. Raj says:

Hi Matt,

Great to see your blog but dis-appointed in your joining MS. ( But good for you )

Does that mean the world would not see more Reverse Engineered internal books/articles from you – as it might conflict with MS copyright laws?