Tutorial – Coded UI Test [Beta2]

Overview

This tutorial guides you through the creation of a Coded UI Test in Visual Studio 2010.

Steps

1. In Visual Studio 2010, click on Test menu and choose New Test

image

2. In the Add New Test dialog, choose Coded UI Test and click OK.

image

NOTE:- You can choose to create a Visual C# test project or a Visual Basic test project.

3. In the New Test Project dialog, change the Test Project name and click Create.

image

4. In the Generate Code for Coded UI Test dialog, choose Record actions, edit UI Map or add assertions

image

5. The Coded UI Test Builder will start up.

image

6. Click on Start Recording button to start the recorder.

Note: There is a slight delay when the recorder starts. Ensure that the button changes to the Pause Recording before recording test steps.

image

7. Now perform the desired test steps.

For the purposes of this tutorial, we are going to test the Add function in Calculator.

NOTE: Coded UI Test works on Web (IE 7 & 8), WinForms & WPF apps. I am choosing Calculator as an application which anyone who is evaluating has access to.

The Test steps are

a. Launch Calculator

b. Click 7

c. Click the + sign

d. Click 2

e. Click = button

Note that a text description of actions will be shown in the Recorded Actions window.The Recorded Actions window can be pinned if you want to see the actions being recorded. It will become semi-transparent when you move focus away from it.

image

8. Click on the Generate Code button and change the name of the method to TestAdd.

image

Click on the Add and Generate button to add this method to the project.

9. Now drag the cross-hair and drop it on result field in the calculator. A blue rectangle is drawn around the selected control.

image

10. Properties of the selected control are shown in the Coded UI Test Builder Window. Right click on the Display Text field and choose Add Assertion.

image

11. In the Add assertion for DisplayText dialog, click OK.

image

12. Click on the Generate Code Button and change the Method Name to AssertSum.

image

Click on the Add and Generate button to add this method to the project.

16. Close the Coded UI Test Builder by clicking on the X button.

17. The Coded UI Test is now opened within the Visual Studio IDE.

image

NOTE the following characteristics about the generated code.

a. The CodedUITest1 class is tagged with a Coded UI Test attribute.

b. The CodedUITetMethod1 method is tagged with a Test Method attribute.

c. in the CodedUITestMethod1, the methods we created are invoked.

18. Note the following in the Solution Explorer.

a. All required references for Coded UI Test are added automatically.

b. 5 files are added to the Test Project

i. CodedUITest1.cs – main Coded UI Test class, Test Methods and Assertions.

ii. UIMap.uitest – XML Representation of the UI Map (a container of UI Controls) and the recorded actions.

iii. UIMap.Designer.cs – Code generated for the UIMap

iv. UIMap.cs – empty file where UIMap customizations may be added.

iv. UserControls.cs – Specialized classes representing various UI Controls referenced in the Test.

19. Right-click inside the Coded UI Test Method and choose Run Tests

image

20. The code is compiled and then the test is run.

21. All actions recorded earlier will now be played back.

22. After the test run is completed, right-click on the Test Run and choose View Test Results Details.

image

Congratulations. You have successfully created and run a Coded UI Test.

1. rpawson says:

Thanks for doing this Mathew  –  I have successfully created tests using the new Beta 2 version.  But can you help me with one issue?

In the application I am testing I am using context menus (i.e. right-click pop-up menus).  I can record these fine in the test.  But how to I add an assertion about those pop-up menus e.g. to assert that a pop-up menu item exists and/or is enabled?  I can’t figure out how to access the pop-up menu when I am in the AddAssertion mode of the recorder?

2. Mathew Aniyan says:

You can use the {Win}+I key to capture popup menus when in the Add Assertion mode of Coded UI Test Builder.

3. rpawson says:

Thanks  –  I later spotted the  {Win}+I answer on another of your blog posts.  Still took me a while to get it working.  The trick I missed was that you have to bring up the context menu within the test recording, then stop the recording (which causes the context menu to disappear again); then bring the same context menu back up again before selecting the menu item with {Win}+I in order to do an assert on it.  Obvious once you know, but not so obvious to figure out from scratch.

One other question:  I think that Coded UI Test is a great facility, but is there any possibility of being able to use it from within VS2010 Professional? (I don’t currently use TFS, so I’ll be reluctant to pay out all that money for Premium edition just to get this test tool)

4. daniel.falk@us.sogeti.com says:

Great post, Mathew, thanks very much!

I have a question for you, if you have a spare couple of minutes. I’ve been having some trouble getting the Coded UI Test Builder to identify objects in an interface properly.  Here’s the scenario:

There are two WinEdits on this interface (I’ll dub them "Edit1" and "Edit2").  The goal is to Click in Edit1 and enter some text.  What it keeps doing during playback is Clicking in Edit2 instead.  Now, I’ve used the Crosshairs to identify the properties of both WinEdits and here’s the strange part: In the UI Control Map, both are listed as the same control, but the "ControlName" changes depending on which WinEdit I most recently identified.  What’s worse is that if I identify Edit1 and then hit "refresh" in the Coded UI Test Builder, it changes the "ControlName" from "Edit1" to "Edit2".

I am simply using the Test Builder incorrectly?  Any input you might have would be much appreciated.  Or, if there is someone else that you think would be better for me to contact, please feel free to mention it (and I apologize if I have wasted your time).

Thanks very much!

5. Mathew Aniyan says:

I am unable to repro this problem on my test app.

Is it possible to send me the application?

If not, please send me the logs.

To enable logs,

a. Open %VSINSTALLDIR%Common7IDECodedUITestBuilder.exe.config.

b. Change the Trace level to 4.

The line should look like

<add name="EqtTraceLevel" value="4" />

c. Open VS, run Coded UI Test Builder, drag the cross hair on the controls you are facing issues with. Perform the steps required to repro the problem.

d. Close Coded UI Test Builder.

Zip up the files under %TEMP%UITestLogs and send to me.

6. azumi says:

Hi !!

I installed MS-VS 2010 and start work with test projects.But surprisingly i get the following error (or whatever)…..

I run the "Coded UI Tester"  for generate code for a simple calculator. In order to do that in the  Generate Code for Coded UI Test dialog, i select Record actions, edit UI Map or add assertions. Then accordingly i get Coded UI Test Builder.

Then i did  some calculations and generate the code for that. To set assertions i include  ‘ answer text box ‘ using cross-hair…

Up to this stage i think all i have done is correct.

But to add an assertion to that text box, the property list does not show the property ‘Display Text’ for me…..!!!!!!!!!!

Actually i got this name "Display Text" from another E-BOOK !! In my case list doesn’t show even the name of the property !!!

So , now ‘m using different properties and add assertions in the code manually.I’m sure this is not the best way to do this.

Is this a common error ?? If not why ‘m getting this ???

thanks

7. Mathew Aniyan says:

Are you using the standard windows calculator?

Which operating system are you on?

When you choose the Answer text box, what are the search properties shown in the Coded UI Test Builder?

8. shweta4feb says:

Hi Mathew!!!

Thanks a lot for such a nice blog.

I have the same question as the previous one.

To add an assertion to that text box, the property list does not show the property ‘Display Text’ . I am using the standard windows calculator and My Operating System is Microsoft Window XP.

Regarding the properties in Control Specific: it is same as the image displayed for that step just the "Display Text" property is missing. How we can add any property manually?

Plz reply.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Shweta

9. shweta4feb says:

Hi Mathew!!!

Thanks a lot for such a nice blog.

I have the same question as the previous one.

Plz reply.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Shweta

10. shweta4feb says:

Hi Mathew!!!

Thanks a lot for such a nice blog.

I have the same question as the previous one.

Plz reply.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Shweta

11. Mathew Aniyan says:

Shweta,

When you drop the cross-hair on the result field, what control type do you see?

In MSAA, there is a window container for each control. I think you may have dropped the cross-hair on the Window. (in which case you will see Control Type as Window and no Display Text).

You can drag the cross-hair once again and hold it for a little while longer on the result in the calculator and it will pick up the right control (with Control Type = Text). This will show the DisplayText property.

Alternately, you can use the navigation buttons to locate the control. See my tip here – http://blogs.msdn.com/mathew_aniyan/archive/2010/01/13/coded-ui-test-tip-of-the-day-2-use-the-navigation-dial-to-move-around-in-the-ui-tree.aspx

In order to add a property and have it appear on the Coded UI test Builder, you need to implement a Property Provider. Instructions in the blog here – http://blogs.msdn.com/gautamg/archive/2010/01/05/5-property-provider-of-sample-excel-extension.aspx

Mathew

12. shweta4feb says:

Hi Mathew

The control type is "Edit" & Technology Name is MSAA. It is not taking the control type "Text". I have dropped the cross-hair at the text box provided for entering no.

Thanks & Regards

Shweta

13. Mathew Aniyan says:

Please click on the Refresh button to get the current properties for this control. If you do not see Deisplay Text property, please send me a screenshot of the applicaiton and the Coded UI Test Builder screens.

14. shweta4feb says:

Hi Mathew

I am not getting any option to attach the screen shot. If possible please send me ur email id. So that I can send it to you.

Thanks in advance

Shweta

15. cheater says:

hi Matew

I have some problems with some tests… I have to test a web application developed in c#. My biggest problem is handling menu’s id codes. here is an example:

Menu1 (menu_id_1)

Submenu1.1 (menu_id_2)

submenu1.2 (menu_id_3)

Menu2 (menu_id_4)

Submenu2.1 (menu_id_5)

submenu2.2 (menu_id_6)

In parantheses are the menu’s ids. But the application can be configurated so that menu1 and all it’s submenus will not appear and in this case the menu looks like:

Menu2 (menu_id_1)

Submenu2.1 (menu_id_2)

Submenu2.2 (menu_id_3)

I want to write some code in UIMap class, but I don’t have any ideea… there are very many classes… In UIMap class I want to build the menu code and assign it to a HtmlHyperlink variable

and check if it exists, but everytime the result is that the item  does not exists. Can you help me to handle this situation? thanks

16. Mathew Aniyan says:

The following blog has guidance on how to hand code a Coded UI Test. http://blogs.msdn.com/mathew_aniyan/archive/2009/02/12/hand-coding-a-coded-ui-test.aspx

NOTE: This blog uses UITestControl class to act on all types of controls. You can also use the classes like HtmlButton, HtmlEdit etc in Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.HtmlControls namespace. If  you use classes like HtmlButton, you don’t have to set Control Type & Technology Name (as shown in the blog).

17. cheater says:

Hi Mathew,

I have a problem finding a menu item (hyperlink) in the page. I will list here the code, hoping that you will help me with this. thanks.

public class CheckLink

{

public string menuId;

public string menuText;

public BrowserWindow IEWindow;

public HtmlHyperlink menuLink;

public void initIEWindow()

{

IEWindow = new BrowserWindow();

IEWindow.SearchProperties.Add(new PropertyExpression(BrowserWindow.PropertyNames.Name, "Window Title", PropertyExpressionOperator.Contains));

}

public void initLink()

{

menuLink = new HtmlHyperlink(IEWindow);

menuLink.SearchProperties.Add(HtmlHyperlink.PropertyNames.Id, this.menuId);

menuLink.SearchProperties.Add(HtmlHyperlink.PropertyNames.TechnologyName, "Web");

menuLink.SearchProperties.Add(HtmlHyperlink.PropertyNames.ControlType, "Hyperlink");

menuLink.SearchProperties.Add(HtmlHyperlink.PropertyNames.Class, "ctl00_Menu1_MenuTree_0");

}

public bool ifExists()

{

return menuLink.Exists;

}

public void initId(string idString)

{

myLink.initId("ctl00_Menu1_MenuTreet10");

myLink.initIEWindow();

myLink.initLink();

if (myLink.ifExists())

{

TextWriter tw = new StreamWriter("date.txt");

tw.WriteLine("the controll exists, it contains the text " + myLink.returnText());

tw.Close();

}

else

{

TextWriter tw = new StreamWriter("date.txt");

tw.WriteLine("the control does not exists" );

tw.Close();

}

}

The test goes well, but in the date.txt file the test writes that the item does not exists. Here is a screenshot with the menu item details:

Regards

18. Mathew Aniyan says:

To debug this, in InitLink add a line at the end,

menuLink.DrawHighlight();

While running the test, verify that a highlight rectangle is shown on the desired control.

In your test case, you are searching for the hyperlink directly inside browserwindow. Look at the code generated by Control locator and verify if you need to add more controls in the hierarchy to correctly locate the hyperlink.

19. cheater says:

if I do this, the test fails and in the test result file, the error ,message is:

Test method TestControl.TestTest.CodedUITestMethod1 threw exception:

Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.UITestControlNotFoundException: The playback failed to find the control with the given search properties. Additional Details:

TagName:  ‘A’

Id:  ‘ctl00_Menu1_MenuTreet10’

TechnologyName:  ‘Web’

ControlType:  ‘Hyperlink’

Class:  ‘ctl00_Menu1_MenuTree_0’

Failed to find any control that matched the search condition Id=’ctl00_Menu1_MenuTreet10′ &amp;&amp; TechnologyName=’Web’ &amp;&amp; ControlType=’Hyperlink’ &amp;&amp; Class=’ctl00_Menu1_MenuTree_0′

But as you can see in the image I’ve posted before, these are the details of tme menu item. I think that I’m not searching the menu item in the right browser window, even while the test runs, the focus remains on the new browser window opened by another method (the code of that method was automatically generated).

20. Mathew Aniyan says:

While debugging, can you ensure that only one browser window is open. Please let me know if you face issues with only one Browser Window open.

Also in initIEWindow, please perform an explicit find.

i.e IEWindow.Find();

21. cheater says:

only one browser was open, in the initIEWindow method I’ve inserted the line IEWindow.DrawHighlight(); and the browser window seems like "blinking" and in that method I’ve wrote to a file IEWindow.Title and the title is the right one… I’ve tried to set focus to this window, but nothing works…

22. Mathew Aniyan says:

Remove the following two lines in initLink and try.  I have a sample application in which i have copied your exact code and it works well without the following two lines.

23. vasumeesala says:

Thanks Mathew, Its working now :)

24. Pankaj says:

Hi,

I recorded a scenario using CodeUITest and observed that it uses the screen coordinates to register click on controls.

You can see the following sample:

// Click 'New' button

Mouse.Click(uINewButton, new Point(12, 13));

// An update for Windows Automation API 3.0 must be installed to enable automation on Windows Presentation Foundation controls. Please refer go.microsoft.com/fwlink for more information.

// Click 'Unknown Name' image

Mouse.Click(uIItemImage, new Point(20, 15));

I tried to run this scenario on another machine with different resolution and screen size and it fails there.

Can you please help in this issue?

25. Naga says:

Hi,

I’m planning to use Coded UI Test for automationg WPF apps but in my current organization we have licenses for VS 2010 Professional. So I would like to know is there any way to install Coded UI Test builder plug-in in VS 2010 professional, If so please let me know the steps.

Thanks

– Naga

26. positive says:

Laptop OS is Win7, installed VS2010 professional. Trying to see Coded UI test while creating a new project. Didn't see it. All I have are the following project types to choose within Add New Project window:

Basic Unit Test, Ordered Test, Unit Test, Unit Test Wizard

VS2010 version is: 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel.

As of now I don't have the coded ui test menu at all to add.

If any one knows please advise how to get the coded ui menu within Add menu when trying to add a coded ui test. Your reply will be much appreciated.

27. Prasad says:

How can I create Coded Unit Testing in vs 2008? is it Possible?

28. Shilpa says:

Hi Mathew,

I am facing a problem during recording of an windows application.

On some controls the tool displays a message as "Last action on list item was not recorded because the control does not have any good identification property". I have also observed that after the recording there should be 5 files under your test project but in our case it is not generating the UserControl.cs file.

Please provide related information which can overcome this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Shilpa

29. Shibu says:

Hi Mathew,

I'm testing an application developed in  .NET. But we have so many pop-ups which are developed using java scripts. So is it possible to record the actions in those types of pop-ups? Will Coded-UI identifies the pop-up windows and the controls on it?