Multilingual App Toolkit v2.1 service release


Welcome to the first Multilingual App Toolkit official blog!  It seemed only fitting that the first blog is about a service release to improve the toolkit itself…

Today we released an update for the Multilingual App Toolkit v2.1 that addresses community reported issues.

One key issue addresses the loss of additional language support when retargeting a JavaScript app from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.  Even though the localized resources are added to the app’s PRI file, the manifest language list was not updated. This prevented access to the additional app languages when testing and publishing to the store.  After applying this update the workaround of adding the languages manually to the manifest will no longer be required.

Another fix in this release enables support for blank resources.  Prior to this release resources that were empty (“”) or only contained spaces (“    “) would cause a build error. With this release, blank resources are processed correctly.

We also took this opportunity to implement some performance tuning around translation suggestions.  We worked with the Microsoft Terminology API team to tune our calls to their service.  We also enhanced the editor suggestion experience by calling all the providers in parallel to improve the overall suggestion performance.

Additional fixes include editor changes to better support with Pinyin input and corrected translations in the Editor UI.

Developers using the Multilingual App Toolkit will receive an update notification via Visual Studio.  If you don’t want to wait for the notification, you can download it directly from the MSDN download pages today: http://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/apps/bg127574

With this release, the MAT team is pleased to announce the launch of the Multilingual App Toolkit feedback site http://multilingualapptoolkit.uservoice.com.  This is similar to Visual Studio (http://visualstudio.uservoice.com) and Windows Phone Developer platform (http://wpdev.uservoice.com) feedback and voting sites.  We are looking forward to the same level of success.

Our goal with the feedback site is to provide a common location for feature suggestions as well as community voting on the recommended features.  While we can’t promise to implement every feature, we are very interested in learning what features will benefit the developer community when deliver Windows platform apps to the global market.

Thank you,

The Multilingual App Toolkit team

Comments (3)

  1. Jack says:

    Great to localization world.

  2. Fabien Nicollet says:

    Hi,

    I am the one who noticed this issue and reported it in the MSDN forums (social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/multilingual-app-toolkit-not-working-anymore-with-windows-81)

    I updated MAT to version 2.1.2010, rebuilt my project, replaced my ressource tags by "x-generated" tag in the manifest, even added a language (Russian).

    I created a package for the Store and when I upload it, it still says that there was only one language. When I enter the languages manually, it works, but x-generated still doesn't.

    Is there something special I need to do ?

    Thanks,

    Fabien

  3. After reading your comment, we tested this again.  Our tests worked both locally and when the app was uploaded to the store.  However, when we added a third language using a RESW file instead of XLF, I saw the issue you reported.  The team is still looking into the root issue, but it appears to be related how MAT works with the resource packs and bundling feature available for Windows 8.1 apps.  

    The problem happens when an app uses both rejson / resw and XLF file for translation resources.  For my example, I used en-USResources.resw (as my default language) and French_fr-FR.xlf as my MAT based language.  Everything was working as expected until I added de-DEResources.resw (or resjon for JavaScript).  At this point, the store no longer recognized the XLF languages (French) since it is expecting resource packs.

    We have tested three workarounds that work to overcome this issue. Each will result in creating an app without the resource packs to avoid the above issue.

    1. Use only RESW/RESJSON for your default language and XLF files for additional languages for Windows 8.1 resources.

    2. If you need to mix RESW/RESJSON, then select “Never’ for the Generate app bundle combo box when creating app packages.

    3. Manually add the languages into the manifest file directly.

    This will keep you publishing for now as we continue to look into the issue.

Skip to main content