Unable to create Storage Pool in Windows Server 2012 R2 Azure VM

UPDATE Mar. 10: This issue is now resolved. The fix has been fully deployed to all Windows Azure hosts. There is no action needed within the VM itself, as the fix was on the Windows Azure hosts.

We recently determined the Storage Spaces feature in Windows Server 2012 R2 is not compatible with the virtual hard drives (VHDs) created by Windows Azure for use as data disks for the Virtual Machines feature (IaaS). Not only will the disks not enumerate in Server Manager, but they will also show up as CanPool=False when enumerated using Get-PhysicalDisk in PowerShell. The same VHDs work fine when used with Windows Server 2012. The root cause of the problem is that the physical disk size advertised by Azure VHDs is not compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2 Storage Spaces.

1. Paulo Sousa says:

I am confused, Is it a supported config to use Storage Spaces inside a VM  in Azure?

Rgds

Paulo

2. Craig Landis says:

It is supported for Windows Server 2012 guests, and will be supported for Windows Server 2012 R2 guests with a fix currently planned for January 2014.

3. Guy Regev says:

Is there any new about the fixit is already mid of February ? We are waiting for  updates.

4. Erik C. Nielsen says:

Is there a way to know when the fix has been deployed to our VM?  Or is there a way to force the install of the fix on our Windows Server 2012 R2 guest?

5. Craig Landis says:

Hi Erik,

This is a host OS fix, so nothing needs to happen to your VM. Rather the host where your VM is running needs to have been updated.

6. KKS says:

I ran into the same issue today. which tells me that the host my VM is running on has not been patched yet. Is there a way to have Azure support move my VM to other host that has been patched?

7. Guy Regev says:

Hey Craig isn't the fix should be deployed already?  Where can we get some formal information regarding this bug beside this post?  We are suffring from poor IOPS without the Storage Spaces feature and can't find any where when our host iscgoing to be patched.

8. Robert says:

I'm running my own 2012 R2 Standard Hyper-V host with a guest 2012 R2 and this problem is still not fixed from Microsoft Update.  I can see all 12 SCSI 120 GB (dynamic) attached VHDX's and the OS VHDX fine in diskmgmt.msc, as well as the Disks section of Server Manager, File and Storage Services, Volumes.  However, none show up in the Physical Disks section of Storage Pools, nor are they listed when I run in admin mode PowerShell Get-PhysicalDisk.  The OS disk shows up.   Is there a specific hotfix available?

9. Robert says:

I want to add, the 12 volumes are online but not initialized, as recommended in other blogs.

10. Robert says:

Never mind, I figured it out.  For my lab I had created a single test VHDX then copied it 11 times and renamed the copies in order to make 12 "volumes."  That doesn't work.  When I created each one manually in Hyper-V Manager, then they all show up in the primordial pool and with Get-PhysicalDisk.  Dynamic or Fixed, doesn't matter.  I'd thought raw disks (not initialized) would be identical for my purposes but that is clearly not the case and duplicated the volumes then attaching them as Hard Drives does not work.  Creating each one separately does.

11. Easy says:

This does not appear to be fixed for me, as I am still getting CanPool=False. Any update as to when it will be rolled out to all Windows Server 2012 R2 VMs?

12. Stephen Dillon says:

It is March 2015 and this still appears to be an issue. It was not resolved for me.

13. Wess says:

CanPool = True for me, but when I try to create a storage pool I get the following: One of the physical disks specified is not supported by this operation.  Also, I do not see any disks in the Primordial Pool through the UI.

14. oktay says:

disks have to be unallocated but more importantly they need to be 10GB minimum to be usable in storagepools. Hope this helps