Visual Studio has really great integration with Azure Websites and it is now very easy to create a brand new responsive, modern website and have it published to Azure in less than 3 minutes.
You can do the whole thing from within Visual Studio - including the configuration of your Azure website.
To try this out, follow these steps
- If you don't already have Visual Studio 2013 (or 2015), get Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition, the new free edition from http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2013-community-vs.aspx
- If you do not already have an Azure subscription, start a trial: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/free-trial/
- In Visual Studio, go to File > New > Project > ASP.net Web Application
- Choose MVC and make sure that 'Host in the cloud' is enabled
- Sign in with your Azure subscription if prompted
- Setup your Azure website options including your unique URL and the region you want to host the website in (Dublin is North Europe)
- When the project has been created in Visual Studio, right click the project and choose Publish
- Accept all the defaults and click Publish. This will upload all the files to your newly created Azure website and load it in your default browser
See a short video of these steps here: http://1drv.ms/1sz04bH
At this point, you are done! You've created a modern, responsive ASP.net MVC website and published it to Azure. The best thing is that the site can stay in azure for as long as you like for free (we're nice like that at Microsoft). #happydays
Cloud Hero Challenge: Share your experience and win a t-shirt and possibly a Surface Pro, Xbox or holiday!
Fancy a free t-shirt and a chance to win a Surface Pro 3, Xbox One or Holiday? if you do this by Friday 19th December, you qualify for the 'Cloud Hero Challenge' where you can win a t-shirt just for entering (this guide qualifies for 'Provision a highly available, scalable website in less than 1 hour').
If you share your experience in participating in the challenge, you have a chance to win a Surface Pro 3, Xbox One or a holiday. Sound good? https://www.microsofttechupdate.co.uk/cloud-hero-challenge/