Stop Motion Animation using Windows Movie Maker

So I got bored a few nights ago and decided to see if I can do some stop motion animation using my wife’s Nikon D70 and Windows Movie Maker. After I imported all the pictures I took of my kids (somewhere around 100) into Windows Movie Maker, I went into options and changed the default time to display pictures in the movie when I drag and drop them. The default is 5 seconds and I changed it to 0.25 seconds. I then did a CTRL-A to select all my pictures and dropped them all on the timeline. I then added a beginning title, transition and end credits. It was topped off with a little music. The whole movie making process took around 5 minutes. So without further ado, here’s the link:

The Amazing Crazy Race

1. Cavedog says:

Thank you so much i’ve been trying to figure out how to do this for so long

2. Jean Akins says:

Thank you!  I’m a beginner with Windows Movie Maker, and what you posted is very helpful.

3. jack says:

windows movie maker is so hard to use.

4. ??? says:

Does anyone know how to make WMM run at 12 FPS? I can only do 8 and 16 with it.

5. ??? says:

Never mind, I found a way to do it. But if there is an easier way than changing the pictures manually to 0.33 seconds each, saving the movie, and then speeding it up twice, could anyone say something about how to do it?

6. kush says:

do you like have a formula for how many frames do you use fr 1 photo in movie maker. if you could please relpy me back on my email kingkush09@aol.com thanks alot

7. Cruciatus says:

I’m gonna try it, thanks so much.

8. Mitch says:

i cant even find options? how do u change the default time/frame?

9. Pamela says:

I made the movie with the Windows Movie Maker, does anyone know how I can change the timeline of all the pictures to a same timeline without editing the pictures one by one ?

10. matthew says:

i would also like to know how you can change all the photos to a quicker timescale because i am using up to 300 pictures just for a simple animation, and it would take years to change every picture individually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. ??? says:

Go to "tools"

Then click on "options"

In the dialog box that opens, click on the "advanced" tab

There you can set the picture duration. Maximum frame rate by this method is 8 frames per second, but with skill, 12, 16, 24, or 32 frames a second can be achieved. The higher frame rates, of course, take more work to force windows movie maker into using.

12. harley says:

dive been using windows movie make for a while now and would like to move onto something more advanced.any ideas???

13. Name says:

Geees Thats exactly what i have been looking for!

i was doing some media course work and i was making an animation.  my way was very slow and failed to work each time!

now i have read that i have compleated it much quicker!

=]

14. Name says:

Geees Thats exactly what i have been looking for!

now i have read that i have compleated it much quicker!

=]

15. name says:

for changing the length of each picture is done as above, BUT i found out that you must do it before you add the pictures to the timeline or it wont work!

Hope that helps.

x

16. ??? says:

I have found an easier way to achieve 12/24fps, though it requires more save/importing.

Setting the picture duration to 21 seconds and speeding up (doubling) all the pictures 6 times, saving the movie, and then speeding up that movie by two times for 12fps and three for 24 fps.

Of course, people may think that speeding up all the pictures would be tedious, but after speeding up only one picture 6 times, go to storyboard mode, copy the effect (ctrl-c), select all the other pictures, and paste (ctrl-v) to instantly apply the effect. I hope this helps for aspiring Windows Movie Makers.

17. u guys are all noooooooooooooooobs it is easy to work

18. ??? says:

What is your point? If you don’t have any advice, then it’s probably not worth it to post.

19. parker says:

how do u add music from itunes to it window movie maker is hard!

20. Merlin says:

I've tried making stop motion films on Movie Maker before, but I've never known what time to set each frame at, so thanks. Lego is also good for animation.

21. mark says:

0.25 is 4 frames per second. How do you get .08 ??

22. So happy now.. says:

THANK YOU MAN! I was doing a lego stoop motion project with 160 clips.  I was halfway done in 11/2 since my computer was so slow… but now i can get back to living! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

23. Fred says:

The reality is that WMM is not designed for animation. While you certainly can animate with it, it takes a long time and the results are usually diasappointing. Buy some real animation software. Some of it is expensive (toonboom) and some of it is fairly low-budget (Animation Workshop). You get what you pay for. Whatever you buy, I promise you that real software will make you much happier with the animation process and the results.

24. s says:

THANK YOU! Trimming took FOREVER! Now, I don't need hours for movies!