Import entire NHL or single team schedules into Outlook

If you just want to do it, click here otherwise, read on.

Yes, hockey has finally returned. October 5th can't come any sooner. While browsing around the web, I started to look to see if anyone had a way to import the entire NHL season into my Outlook calendar. I did find one but a) they charged you for it and b) it wasn't ready yet. So, here's what I did:

1. Go to nhl.com and go to the schedules section
2. Copy and paste the season schedule into Excel
3. Create an XML mapping and export the excel data to an Xml file
4. Fire up VS.NET 2003 and create a WinForms project
5. Load the Xml into a DataSet, add the ability to apply a DataView to filter on single teams
6. Add a "Import into Outlook" button

When I got it working the way I liked (bug exist I'm sure) I imported every team schedule into Outlook. Word to the wise, if you don't like appointment spam, don't do this. Your calendar will look well...busy. So, I'm just importing some individual teams. Colorado is a given since they are my favorite. Dallas only because they are my best friends favorite. Probably Detroit since I hate them while a lot of other people like them. Vancouver since they are the closest city I can drive to.

Click here to download the app and import away..all 2 of you other hockey fans at least.

1. John_Evdemon says:

Thanks for the tip! Go Pens!

2. Shawn says:

Thanks this is a geat tool! now I can track all games as I travel!

3. The Mad Tech says:

You rock man. Your utility was by far the easiest and best I found. GAME ON MAN!!!

4. Scotty D says:

Mark, this is exactly what I’ve been looking for… I am so happy with this app. Thank you.

Is there any way of getting Outlook to not to add the 1 hour reminder?

I think I’m gunna see if I can get this to work for the nfl schedule.

5. mb says:

this doesnt seem to work with outlook 2000…is that possible?

6. Jeff says:

Hi Mark,

Can you explain more about how you performed the xml mapping once you had it in Excel? I’m not an excel expert and would like to learn more about that. Had no idea Excel could work with xml that easily.

In the meantime thanks for posting the resulting xml file. I am going to use it to integrate other team’s schedule into my site for Blackhawks fans (www.hawksnews.com) – and I would look forward to any feedback you might have on the site (spare content currently, hope to build it to capacity soon).

Thanks again,

Jeff

7. Fred says:

This is exactly what I’m looking for…

Thanks so much.

Also for you other googlers, you may need to make the changes described on this site http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dno2k3ta/html/OfficePrimaryInteropAssembliesFAQ.asp

I was receiving errors.

8. Fred says:

This is exactly what I’m looking for…

Thanks so much.

I was receiving errors.

9. Marc says:

Unfortunately, it crashes on a system with a non-US version of Outlook 🙁 Something about an unexpected date format……

Oh well – back to manually tracking….

Marc (mscheuner@mvps.org)