BizTalk Server 2013: Developer Edition – It’s Coming!

Here’s the scoop:

The BizTalk Server Developer Edition is coming and is scheduled to arrive on November 1, 2013. It won’t be free but the cost should be under $50 USD. In the meantime, these are your options:

• MSDN Subscription includes the Enterprise Edition. The Enterprise Edition and the Developer Editions are the same software package except for licensing. Meaning, the Developer edition cannot be used in a Production environment. It is for development use only.
  • Evaluation Edition is a 120-day time-bombed Enterprise Edition.
  • The Enterprise Edition on Windows Azure IaaS, aka BizTalk Server 2013 on a Windows Azure VM – If you have MSDN, you get $50, $100, or $150 in free Windows Azure usage per month. With MSDN discounts, a medium BizTalk Enterprise instance is less than $50 a month.

I hope this helps!

1. Alejandro Vanegas says:

Taking into account that BT is a server product and that MSDN subscriptions are a per-user product.  Could you please clarify what type of users would need an MSDN subscription in order to access and/or use a BT dev/test environment?

2. MSDN subscriptions are typically for developers but anyone can purchase a subscription. The MSDN subscription includes the BizTalk Server Developer edition which is licensed  for dev environments. If you wanted to use BizTalk Server Standard/Enterprise editions (the "server product"), then you need to purchase those licenses separately from MSDN.

Basically, it's the licensing requirements for each edition: Developer – dev environments; Standard/Enterprise – Production environments.

I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding your question.

3. Craig Muir says:

Thanks Mandi, That covers Dev and Production very clearly.

And what about a Test server, which is clearly not a production environment?

Thanks.

4. Here are the answers:

Question: What about a "cold" DR server? This is arguably not a production environment if it's shut down unless there's some sort of disaster, when it becomes the only server running as a production environment.

Answer: If you have MSDN, I believe Standard and Enterprise can be installed as a "cold" backup. If it ever becomes "hot", then you are charged. If you're using the Developer edition as a "cold" backup, then upgrading to Standard or Enterprise if it becomes "hot" would be the appropriate route.

Question: And what about a Test server, which is clearly not a production environment?

Answer: The Developer edition can be used as a Test server.

I hope this helps!

5. Richard Hughes says:

Today is November 1st.

Any sign of BTS 2013 Dev Edition ?

6. Scott Morrison says:

7. Lothar Behrens says:

As a single developer, can I buy such a license for one BizTalk Developer Box (Lenovo T400 notebook)?

My interest is in learning to develop bt, but 120 days eval is a bit too short for my time I can spend per week. The bt 2010 version requires VS2010, but I have bought 2012 :-)

Thanks, Lothar

8. Mandi Anez Ohlinger [MSFT] says:

Answers to the latest questions:

Q: Is it true that the BTS 2013 Dev Edition is only available through an MSDN subscription?

A: Yes – the Developer Edition is only available through an MSDN subscription.

Q: I am also really interested in a developer license for about 50$. It is ok to pay such a fee. But actually I can't find a reseller except such a MOLP License version 'Volumen / Stufe C'.

A: BizTalk Server is not sold in retail. As a single developer, you can use the BizTalk Server Azure VM; which includes Windows, SQL Server, and Visual Studio. From a licensing perspective, using the Azure VM is the easiest option as the VM doesn't require any additional licensing requirements.

~ Mandi