Premier Field Engineers are our deep technical experts that work with customers on tough problems either in a Reactive capacity(i.e. things have gone really really bad!!), or more importantly in a Proactive manner so that things are done properly upfront and there isn’t a need to put out fires. The Premier Field Engineering team (PFE) provides technical support for Microsoft’s Premier customers world-wide through onsite and remote support services. PFEs act as the primary onsite technical contact, providing customer visibility, advanced technical troubleshooting support and problem resolution for Product Support Services and corporate customers, including issues escalated to the highest levels of management. Candidate must be able to manage hot issues by setting customer expectations, devising and implementing action plans, delivering training and assessments, etc.
A successful PFE can do the following and much more
- Ability to apply technology to improve existing products and systems at customers and for internal use;
- Ability to actively participate in team support by proposing and implementing solutions;
- Superior problem solving and troubleshooting skills at the System Engineer level; exceptional customer service, overall communication and technical writing skills.
- Ability to enhance the technical expertise of peers via the development of product training, mentoring of new hires, and team content development;
- Assist in developing strategies to gain additional Premier support accounts by contacting and establishing relationships with Program Managers and Technical Account Managers.
Currently I am interviewing people for a Development PFE role….so if you are someone who loves helping people make great software, then you may be a good fit for our team. We need someone with deep experience with
- Visual Studio and .NET development
- Using and Administering Team Foundation Server
- Helped their teams adopt Software Development Methodologies like Agile, Scrum, etc.
- Experience with tools and technologies related to all stages of software development life cycle including Requirements, Design, Development, Testing, Deployment
- Have performed code and architectural reviews to weed out performance, reliability and scalability issues.
Additionally, experience with Sharepoint, Dynamics, and other MS development platforms would be a bonus.
Here is a link to the current role.
Going through the list above, you must be feeling daunted by now…(I know I am 🙂 ). Its hard to find someone with everything on my wish list above, so we are looking for someone who has most of the above, but above all has the right attitude. I cant stress how important that is at Microsoft. We face tough customer issues and questions every day, so people have to bring their A-game every time. I am constantly having to learn and research new things for my customers to provide answers. PFE’s get a lot of training time allocated to keep their knowledge up to date, and your peers really bend over backward to help out as well. If you are looking for a tough, challenging, constantly changing environment for your next career move, then reach out and let me know. I would love to have a chat with you about this role, and see if this is a good fit for you to apply.
(PS. If this role isn’t something you feel you are ready for today…but would like to explore or work towards in the future, then please let me know as well. I am happy to work with you and help build up a roadmap to get you up to speed. We are always looking for great people and roles like this keep opening up all the time.)