Remove unwanted Facebook contacts from your Windows Phone 7

I just got my Windows Phone 7 and added my Outlook, Windows Live, and Facebook accounts to the phone.  The phone automatically downloading and merging all my contacts from each source is GREAT! However, I quickly realized that I ended up with 800+ contacts in my People Hub making it a little overwhelming.  Especially since most of the contacts came from Facebook and a number of them are people who I don’t regularly interact with or I don’t need them to be in my phone’s contacts list.

So if you’re like me and want to remove those unwanted Facebook contacts from your Peoples Hub, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to SETTINGS then swipe right to APPLICATIONS and then choose PEOPLE

2. Then scroll down until you see a section that says “Include Facebook friends as contacts” and choose the “Only add Facebook info to existing contacts” radio button

UPDATE FOR WINDOWS PHONE 7.5 (Mango)

This menu has changed slightly.  To remove unwanted Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or even a particular e-mail account’s contacts, do the following:

1. Navigate to SETTINGS then swipe right to APPLICATIONS and then choose PEOPLE
  2. Then press the FILTER MY CONTACT LIST button where you’ll see a list of which accounts to show contacts from.

1. Ben Randall says:

I think another question many people are asking is how to remove my Windows Live contacts from the list.  I have a large number of messenger contacts that I don't use/don't want to show up in my phone book.  How can I prevent these from showing up?

2. Missy says:

Great tip!!! Thanks

3. laura says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! This has been driving me crazy for the past hours!!!!

4. Andrew Watts says:

Great tip.  I was starting to curse my Windows Phone.

5. madenwal says:

No problem…and hang in there…it's a new platform so things aren't yet perfect but it will definitely be getting better…

6. Darren says:

If you want to completely remove facebook account from your windows 7 phone then follow the below steps, it took me a hwile to figure this out but it is possible.

Go to Settings

Select email & accounts

Keep your finger pressed down on your facebook account (a pop up menu appears) and select delete

7. Art says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

8. Windows HTC HD7? says:

When I try to do that on my HTC HD7,  Settings…there isnt anything that says "applications" or "people"…

help!

9. Tracy says:

thanks. when i added facebook and found them all in my contacts couldnt believe it , been looking for ages how to fix it.

10. ram says:

Thanks.. Nice tip

11. Mary Fulkerson says:

thank you soooooo much Darren i got my windows phone from a friend and she had her account synced to it plus everything else i had no idea how to get rid of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. MD says:

Thanks for the tip!  Very helpful.

13. Russ says:

Thank you sooooo much!!! This is an amazing tip!!!

14. Zack says:

Thank you so much – you have saved my sanity 🙂

15. Eric Vaughan says:

I just wanted to say GOD BLESS YOU!!!! I was getting ready to throw my $500.00 phone through the window lol you're the best!

16. Eric Vaughan says:

17. Petros Efthymiou says:

I have a problem with my windows 7 phone device and i will appreciate your help. When I receive a text or a call from a friend, i see their number with the country prefix and not the contact name. for example if i send a text to Maria (phone number 99224466) on her reply or call i will get her telephone number with the country code 0035799224466 and not her Name. do you know how i can change that?

18. John says:

I haven't added facebook for this reason. I went to where described and didn't yet have this choice. Do i have add facebook, get all the contacts added to my phone that I don't want just to have them removed when I do this?

19. madenwal says:

John — I guess that makes sense to not have that feature enabled if you haven't set up Facebook on your phone. So you know, this feature is a "filter" moreso than it removing the contacts. Those Facebook contacts that don't have matching contacts in your address book can be "removed" from the People Hub but they will still be viewable if you search their name.

20. Tiffany says:

Thank you for the post- Very helpful!!

21. Travis says:

If you still have contacts on your phone but are no longer friends on, say facebook, goto setting-down to people-down to accounts-hold on the account, facebook, and select sync. That will update your contacts.

Thanks for helping me find this solution! 🙂

22. heather says:

@Travis, thank you for the tip. I deleted some people who were too vulgar on facebook, and couldnt figure out how to get them off my phone. THANK YOU!

23. brian says:

the problem is that i already have 1500 friends from FB and cant get them off…

24. madenwal says:

@brian – I'm not exactly sure what your issue is. If you choose not to include facebook friends in your contacts list, then you won't see the 1500 people in the list.  Though one thing to point out is that you'll still be able to search for them.  If you could explain your issue more, I'd be happy to assist!

25. Barney445533 says:

Thanks for this tip been looking for ages.

Why does MS think that we are 14 years old and automatically want all our facebook garbage dumped into our mobile phone immediately we connect it to the internet?

Common sense would deem that this and similar kiddy features be turned OFF by default.

26. allan says:

in my lumia 710 i dont find this option, but i can filter contacts… just go to settings, contacts and press the filter contacts, and just let the ones you want, in my case, the google account ones.

27. John says:

I'd like to delete one person from my imported Facebook contacts.  I found his name after import – he's deceased.  I've since unfriended him, but that doesn't seem to help.

28. madenwal says:

Sorry to hear that, John!   Try this:

Go to SETTINGS > E-MAIL+ACOUNTS and then tap and hold FACEBOOK until you get a context menu.  Then press SYNC.  That should refresh your Facebook list.

29. John says:

@ Travis – thanks for the earlier posting regarding removing Facebook unfriends.  It solved my deceased contact problem AND taught me more about the phone.  Sorry I hadn't seen it sooner.

30. Ed says:

thank you!

31. Mary A. Christiansen says:

PLEASE PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM ANY PORTION OF FACEBOOK,A REAL INTRUSION IN MY LIFE!!

32. Sariana says:

the option that you mention (Include Facebook friends as contacts) doesnt appear on my people menu, and I have already sync my contacts with my facebook contacs. The problem is that I want to use the information of my facebook contacts only in the contacts that have a number on my phone. HEEEEELP

33. madenwal says:

@Sariana – Hi, please see the article above. I've updated it to include directions for the latest Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango).  It's slightly different of a screen but with greater functionality.

34. Mehrene says:

I need to delete Facebook account from my Phone…Can anyone Help me?

35. madenwal says:

To delete your Facebook account from your phone, you can go to SETTINGS > EMAIL+ACCOUNTS and then PRESS+HOLD Facebook until you get the context menu.  In that menu you will see a DELETE menu

36. Terren says:

How to I delete them from even the search. I don't want them on my phone at all. Thanks.

37. madenwal says:

If you don't want the Facebook contacts on your phone at all (not show up in search), then your only option is to remove the Facebook account all-together.

38. wendy says:

why i can't found “Include Facebook friends as contacts” and choose the “Only add Facebook info to existing contacts” radio button at my nokia lumia 710 ? how to delete a facebook contact even i already deleted him from my facebook but my phone still have it ?

39. madenwal says:

If you go to your accounts section, press and hold Facebook until you get a context menu. In there, there should be a SYNC button. That'll force Facebook to refresh on your phone.

40. dan says:

I found this helpfull I've only had my phone 24 hours and this already annoyed me I find it all very messy plus the Facebook app itself isn't as good as android or IOS. that said this was helpful info maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel haha.

41. kp says:

@ Travis, this really helped me, i deleted all unwanted fb friends and couldnt figure out how to get them off my phone!! Thanks!

42. santhosh says:

But even after filtering out facebook contacts, they show up when i search. Can we prevent that ?

43. mukire says:

u r the man seriously get a beer for urself

44. josh says:

you can do all those same steps with a windows 8 phone but you will need to Tap "filter my contact list" and select which list you want to filter, and then you can start deleting the contacts you want.

45. Maya says:

I`ve tried to delete all my facebook contacts from my phone by deleting the facebook account from email+accounts and it doesn`t worked.. After I read some advices here I`ve tried to delete them by going to SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS -> PEOPLE, but I don`t have a section "Include Facebook friends as contacts".. So I need help ! Pleasee !

46. madenwal says:

Maya – which version of Windows Phone OS are you on?

47. Jennifer Saks says:

I just got a Nokia Lumia 950 phone.  I put Facebook on the phone, so I could use it when I'm away from home.  Then I went to start adding in more phone numbers in my directory.  I was shocked when I went in there and found ALL 300+ facebook friends listed in my phone book!  How do I (1) have my phone book list just my phone contacts and (2) separately have a FB account on my phone without any of those people listed in my phone directory?  The three places they gave me to choice from to filter were my gmail, Facebook, and hotmail (I don't have a hotmail account).  I don't want ANY of my email or Facebook people in my phone directory (unless I choose them).  How do I maintain a phone directory and a FB account separately?  Or do I have a phone directory and then not have FB on my phone?

48. Jennifer Saks says:

Nokia 920, I mean…

49. Temi says:

@  Darren 10 Feb 2011 7:45 AM #

Thank you Thank you…. Thats exactly what i wanted to do!

50. Darren says:

Thank you so much.  I could not figure this out for weeks.  Your answer was just what I needed.  You're a saint!

51. Lulu says:

Mine is Windows 8. i went in the settings> application> people. i tried to filter my contact but it gave me options like (show only from Hotmail) and in other case. I tried my settings, press in the set up accounts, emails, contacts etc. I sync my facebook account and later delete it but still my facebook contact appears. Why?

52. Anonymous says:

I just got an HTC M8…is there a way to sync my facebook photos WITHOUT having to sync all the dang contacts into my address book?  I have tried everything…filtering doesn't do anything.  I've logged out and back in on my phone…un-installed and re-installed facebook – over the course of the day, it added all of them right back in.  I would like to have access to my facebook pictures, i just don't want all of the contacts inmy phone…

53. Anonymous says:

My Nolia Lumia has replaced my phone contacts with their facebook/google + info.  I can no longer find phone contact information.  Previous texts chains to these people says they are read only.

54. Georgina says:

Am using a lumia  520 phone I want to delete numbers from my contact which was added from facebook , ve done all I can but nor is working.

55. D Rob says:

Go to settings, then email & accounts, delete yahoo.

56. microsoft lumia 535(windows 8.1 update) says:

How to deleet that contact of facebook permanently.yes what you said helped me a lot but the people s picture is still shown on the live tile of people hub.

57. Paul Brighten says:

How do I remove unwanted Facebook contacts from my Nokia Lumia 900 mobile phone

58. Latifa says:

Finally fixed, thanks so much. I think my Windows Phone is the hardest, and least user friendly phone I’ve ever had.