Friday Links, on Saturday!

It’s been quite a week for us at MacBU, especially for such a short one. There’s a lot of buzz about the blogs here at work and I think the engineers are really feeling the energy that comes from talking directly to users of the products that we build. Macworld is months away and we’re already planning for that. And there was a Microsoft marketing symposium this week that I found really interesting. I figured I wouldn’t know too many people there as I came over to product managment from a program managment role, but I must have seen 10 people there (that I knew from DevDiv/MSDN) who have also moved into marketing roles.

For links this week, I’ve just put together some posts I found through Technorati. I made some pretty interesting discoveries; some useful and some funny, but all of them worth a look.

Mac Office on 10.4 – font corruption issue
I found that using the free Linotype FontExplorer X to clear the
system and application font caches (both options under the Tools menu)
fixed the problem.

Mac Office IMHO
…instead of revising the Mac version of Microsoft
Office, why can’t Microsoft take the Windows version and translate it
to run on an Intel Mac.

Mac
Mojo the MacBU Blog

Gosh that brings back memories of all those questions I would always
be peppered with at MacWorld.

Mac Office blog

Hopefully this blog will reassure that the future of Office on the Mac
is bright.

Well, well well
Look who has jumped on the corporate Blog-wagon!

Today’s Links:Three kinds of bloggers…
Yahoo’s corporate blog certainly received incredible fanfare. The
Office for Mac Team blog seemed like a quiet affair. They’re the
latest corporate blog to hit the scene. It features individual
developer blogs so you can see what they’re up to.

Microsoft’s Mac Business Unit has started a blog (or blog set) called Mac Mojo.

But Office, either for Windows or Mac, is a damn slick application
once you shut Clippy off. And Office for Mac hasn’t crashed on me in
an insanely long time. And it’s straight-on compatible with the
Windows version at work, so I don’t have to go into the office to get
stuff done.

I Kid You Not

Question: Where did I read these today?

• “I love hunting [bugs] down and killing them”
  • “Microsoft makes world-class Mac software”
  • ”[People] sometimes forget that they’re using Microsoft products”
  • “A Word 5.1 business plan template helped me to expand, then sell, my business”

Answer: on the recently launched Microsoft Mac Business Unit Blog, Mac Mojo.

Have a great weekend.

1. kirabug says:

thought 1: I got quoted! yay! o/

thought 2: "…instead of revising the Mac version of Microsoft Office, why can’t Microsoft take the Windows version and translate it to run on an Intel Mac."

ACK!!! Don’t take my formatting palette away!! I’ve never seen it on the Windows version but I wish it was there. The MacOffice UI is less painful that the WindowsOffice UI.

…isn’t it funny how my first thought was that it’s "my" formatting palette when it’s actually "your" code? You guys have your work cut out for you.

2. HowardG says:

Keep up the great work guys and gals.

It’s great to see folks from several different areas of the MaBU chime in and give us some idea of what it’s like to work there.

3. Peter says:

I liked that, "Why doesn’t Microsoft just translate the Windows version of Office?"

The quick answer:  Microsoft tried this with Word 6.0.  It’s the only time Microsoft Word actually <I>lost</I> marketshare.

4. Technodad says:

"Take(ing) the Windows version and translate it to run on an Intel Mac" is a *phenomenally* bad idea. (Doesn’t anyone remember Word 6?)

One of the keys to a usable and successful Mac application is the degree of integration with other applications and OS features. This permits the application to productively fit into workflows. The MacBU is to be commended for learning this lesson with the recent support for Spotlight and Sync Services in Entourage and the support for the Services menu in Entourage.  On a personal front, Sync Services has been a huge plus for me – my Entourage calendar now syncs with my cell phone, Palm, and Google Calendar via iCal.

The other area where the MacBU has done a great job is AppleScript support, which enables Automator. This will be doubly important in future versions when VB goes away.

Sadly, there is yet no support for Services in Word, where it would be a real productivity boost. It would also be good to use Keychain for storage of passwords and security certificates. Other integrations I’d like to see in the next version are:

-Support for Services throughout the Office suite, including Word and Powerpoint.

-Better import and export of file formats. Powerpoint, in particular, needs OPML import and export so it can integrate with outliners.

-Two way syncing in entourage for calendar events, to-dos, and contact info. there shoudld be a way to map calendar events into categories other than "Entourage" as well – the current restriction forces an inefficient manual step of assigning calendar events if you want them to show up in Entourage.

-Improved Applescript and Automator support. applescript documentation would be really nice – figuring out how to script entourage is a bear..

-Use of keychain for all security tokens

5. Asam Bashir says:

Hmmmm, no posts from a full team, must be all busy working on MacOffice, I guess….

6. Dr.T says:

Hey what’s up – one week without a word. I thought the marketing team would keep up longer than this …

7. sherjo says:

Yeah, it’s been a long week of heads down work in the MacBU, lots of people traveling, code getting checked in and out, and for some reason, at least for me, about twice the number of meetings I usually have. Glad it’s Friday!