Stylus be gone!

IMAG0381

This is how I roll these days. In order to ensure I do my part to make our products better, I’ve decided to toss out my stylus and survive on using my finger. That way, i) I won’t get confused anymore which I should be using, and ii) I feel every little nuance of using the finger to operate my phone. things like smaller hit targets, super narrow scroll bars etc.

This will allow me to give accurate feedback to our development teams as they stabilize the new OS.

Join me?

1. I don’t use a stylus anyway … on my Shadow at least πŸ˜‰

The Fuze I can do most things with touch/DPad/Keyboard but I do have to keep a sharpened fingernail for some options πŸ˜‰

2. FrankPr says:

How are you doing a soft (or hard) reset without the stylus? πŸ™‚

And, as great as the new today screen & start menu are, most of the controls are still not finger-friendly, and we should not try to tell the users that they can do without the stylus entirely on 6.5.

3. but the stylus has always made such a handy toothpick though.. πŸ™‚

4. lokeuei says:

Chris : *LOL* I should have thought about it.

Frank : I do resets by taking out the battery πŸ˜‰ at least we can do that. I’d say nowadays 90% of my use of the phone doesn’t require a stylus / fingernail. it comes into play when I have to go to settings. otherwise, it’s surprising how much I don’t need a stylus. The Keyboard certainly helps.

5. alcedes says:

I’ve been on a Windows Mobile standard device for the past two weeks so I’m a bit distanced from how I used the stylus before.  But between having a hardware keyboard and finger friendly apps on my TyTn II I don’t recall using the stylus for much.

Be it ever so unreasonable I actually became good at using the onscreen keyboard with my finger tips.

6. Vyacheslav Lanovets says:

But how do you hardreset your device then?

Samsung Omnia lacks stylus slot at all and it’s so frustrating.

7. As we just hinted , IE6 on Windows Mobile 6.5 is going to be a sight better than it currently is on the

8. Jag says:

@ Vyacheslav:

I have an Omnia and I can do Hard Resets with using the corresponding icon inside settings.

There’s also a hard keys combination for it but Idon’t remeber it right now sorry.

9. Jag says:

@ Vyacheslav:

10. YJag says:

@ Vyacheslav:

11. TheJag says:

@ Vyacheslav:

12. m.schmidler says:

Good idea πŸ˜‰ I just hope the dev team will take your feedback serious..

13. csmikle says:

Had a Blue Angel (Siemens SX66), screen over 3 inches. I lost both my styluses and didn’t care, because I only use the phone one-handed with my thumb. That is, until I wanted to do a lot of handwriting recognition.. I really missed the stylus then.

I think the big problem started when all the phones started coming out with tiny 2.5 inch screens.. the TyTn, Tilt, etc were all the rage and I wondered how would I ever use these since I like one-handed use. The iPhone came out with a >3 inch screen and now everyone’s making big screen phones again (now without keyboards and d-pads). Sigh

14. elbowz says:

I love Transcriber, so any thoughts of rolling without a stylus are heresy! Please tell me that future versions will retain handwriting recognition which, to my eyes anyway, remains the only sensible way to author content on a device as small as a phone. Even on the 2.8" screen of my XDA I can rattle off a lengthy piece of text far quicker than on a mobile keyboard (HTC Universal included).

15. lokeuei says:

Stylus will still be there. it’s in the LTK so OEMs have to include it. So you’ll still get transcriber. It’s all about choice u see πŸ™‚

16. PnTro says:

I still need it to press that red reset button.