Webcasts on a DVD?

We’ve gotten numerous requests especially from bandwidth challenged countries about on-line streaming videos and webcasts. Although webcasts work well mostly in the US and Europe, the experience is never good in other parts of the world. I used to be from Malaysia and even when the govt claims broadband is pervasive and available everywhere, the real throughput is less than desirable and we almost never adopt Webcasts or Live Online Streaming Videos as a method of communication.

I guess that’s one of the reasons why BitTorrent is so popular versus streaming movies. We’d rather wait for the full video to be downloaded and have an uninterrupted experience watching them.

On that note, after looking at all our Windows Mobile Developer content, I discovered that we have a LOT of webcasts that we’ve done the past year. We run a weekly webcast on MSDN. And all these webcasts are usually viewed live and once they’re over, they’re archived as On-Demand webcasts but the usage is low.

Now we’re embarking on a project to have all these webcasts burnt on a DVD and have it orderable online by anyone who wishes to view them without having to have a big pipe.

Let us know if this is a good idea. I think it is!

1. BillC says:

Wow! This is a GREAT idea! My vote is "YES!".

2. Channa says:

Sounds very good to me! Then again, I was thinking about the days that we’ve battled with tons of CDs from MSDN subscription bundle every month, and ended up hiring a librarian just for maintaining the stack 🙁 It would be nice if we can pick-and-choose what goes onto the DVD, I guess…

3. Loke Uei says:

Bill: thanks! we’re almost done with the DVD, just making a simple interface so you can navigate the content easier.

Channa: LOL you’re right! we just make too many DVDs. Right now, you can download individual videos but you’ll probably have to go through 5-6 clicks just to get at ONE webcast. Perhaps we should just put them all on BitTorrent 😉

4. It’s a very good idea. A DVD will be useful to watch and learn something interesting while waiting for trains/planes in places where there is no broadband access or where such kind of access is outrageously expensive 🙂

5. Loke Uei says:

How about a Mobile version? Would that be interesting? but it’s hard to see screencasts on such a small screen.

6. Channa says:

Do you mean a sort of a podcast? That would be cool…

7. prawyn says:

thats really a splendid idea, my vote is "YES"