Microsoft is pleased to announce the release of the Resource Static Analysis project as Open Source on GitHub!
The Resource Static Analysis enables companies and localization suppliers to quickly add scalable validation checks, to help ensure quality doesn’t suffer as software and content is translated and localized, and as data is exchanged between internal workflows and even between companies. The analysis engine is already in use by multiple teams at Microsoft, including Windows (WDG), Office (ASG), and Azure+SQL+VS (C&E)!
A few examples of where you could plug-in the engine
- Before sharing data with supplier
- That sufficient upstream resource context has been added to the resource, to help prevent confusion and/or bad translations.
- Functional correctness of the resources and content before you share it with your localization suppliers.
- At the supplier
- Validate that data you got adheres to the expectations.
- Perform edit time validation in the translation editor.
- Post translation validation, ensuring that no issues were introduces by the translators and/or translation workflows.
- Back at the company
- Ensure that supplier didn’t introduce issues, and that content is indeed for the designated cultures, and meets functional needs.
- That content includes any required Machine Translation disclaimers, or other post transform requirements.
To help get us started, the project contains a sample, the Resource Static Analysis Executor. The sample is very similar to a code review workflow that Microsoft Office team is actually using to validate that sufficient context have been added to resources by the developers in Word, Excel, OneNote, etc. The specific rules help ensure that those resources can be efficiently localized even before the code and resource data is checked into our source control system.
The project gives you full control and you can configure the engine, with custom data source providers, custom data adaptors, and custom rules to fit your specific requirements.
The entire project is documented on the wiki and we have a Slack team where we hope you will join. We also hope this project will aid anyone who is developing localization related solutions, similar to how this has already helped several teams within Microsoft.
Join in on the action via https://github.com/Microsoft/Resource-Static-Analysis!