Stand-Alone Network Emulation and CodePlex

In my post “Creating a Stand-Alone Network Emulator using VS2010 – Beta 1, I showed you how to create a stand alone network emulator using the network emulation functionality introduced in the Beta 1 release of VS2010.  Since then, the API for Network Emulation has gone through several changes and long story short, the API for Beta 1 will not work for RC or RTM.  To make things a bit easier, I have created a new “Stand-Alone” Network Emulator UI (NEUI) that will allow you to take advantage of the Network Emulation features in VS2010 without having to fire up VS2010 and start a unit or load test.  I have posted the source for this project on CodePlex for everyone to enjoy :).  For now, it is in the project “Web and Load Test Plugins for Visual Studio Team Test”, but my hope is that it will gain enough community support and involvement that it will warrant going through the process of creating and maintaining it as a separate project.

Currently, the NEUI project is a simple UI that:

• uses WPF
  • allows the user to select one Network Profile to emulate a specific network.
  • when minimized, displays in the system tray
  • when in the system tray, allows for the starting, stopping of network emulation and the selection of the network profile.

Please feel free to download and use the emulator.  Also, if you feel strongly enough, feel free to suggest or contribute new features.

1. says:

Hi Lonny,

First I want to thank you for this great post. I think you are the first one who started this cool API discussion.

I am using VS2010 RC. And trying to automate my network simulation part by using this API. I have created a console application and have written this piece of code.

IntPtr m_emulatorHandle = IntPtr.Zero;            NetworkEmulationApi.LoadProfile(m_emulatorHandle, @"");

Could you please let me know how can I verify whether the emulator started with my profile or not. It looks like the emulator does not started with above code. Please help.

2. ryan lin says:

Hi, I cann't find the project in codeplex, can you tell me why?

3. Jeffrey says:…/changesets

Just click download.

I couldn't find it for a while either.

4. Richard says:

Is there any possibility to share the old version of Network Emulator for Windows Toolkit, that does NOT force you to install a full bloat-head Visual Studio 2010 just for making some simple network tests? It is impossible to locate the old version of NEWT on the internet, all donwload links are dead since years…

5. megamih says:

Hi Lonny,

can you please consult me on "Microsoft VSTS Network Emulation NDIS6 Driver" behaviour?

I configured test lab with Win2k8R2SP1 Standard and 2032 IPs per server (aliases to simulate unique clients). Test tool – JMeter.

When I enable Network Emulation (with any profile) it starts drop packets at about 700-800 RPS (and I need 2000 RPS – HW can handle it freely without Network Emulation). I believe the issue is Queue Management related – but still cannot figure it out.

6. vedder says:

Is it possible to find the "Microsoft VSTS Network Emulation NDISx Driver" install file? I have visual studio 2010 pro but these features are not availabe.

Many thanks in advance!

7. Torsten says:

Hi Lonny,

the network emulation tool is great!!! Thank you.

At the moment, I am trying to figure out if it's possible to limit the traffic only on certain ports, protocols (http) or target addresses.

What is the <FilterList> node in the network profiles good for?  Could you explain this element? I could not find anything about it in the Inet…..

Thanx in advance!