Version Update for Windows (May 11, 2009)

Live Mesh for Windows 0.9.4014.4 has been released.  No action is required on your part, Live Mesh will automatically update on its own.  This release contains numerous bug fixes. Please see below for details, and thank you for using Live Mesh.

Version Number

·         Live Mesh for Windows: 0.9.4014.4

Fixes

·         Updated date/time stamp UI for news events

·         Added news events for permission level changes to folders

·         Fixed UI for folder permissions in Firefox 3.0, IE8, and Safari

·         Fixed general IE8 compatibility issues

·         Improved performance and functionality for large file uploads

Feedback

Thank you for using Live Mesh.  We’re working hard to create the best experience and appreciate any comments you have.  Please send your feedback on how Live Mesh can be improved, or send anonymous feedback here.  Also, if you have a moment, please rate Live Mesh.

The Live Mesh team

1. Gahgah says:

Thanks guys.

I hope CPU usage has been reduced. I love Mesh but it’s hard to use it on a weak (2 GHz) CPU!

Keep up the good work!

2. Good stuff, the update worked fine for me on a couple of computers, a Win 7 RC netbook and my work Vista machine.

Question, though: In the file sync options, is there a reason why I’m only able to choose "When files are added or modified" or "Never with this device"? The other three options are always grayed out for me.

3. Asbjørn says:

And the resolve conflicts dialog is still a mess on Windows 7. Come on, is it really that hard to fix. And even if it is, then at least mention it in your post. It seems that you won’t even recognize the fact that issue exists.

4. Rob says:

Great stuff. Using it every day. Now an essential part of my work!

5. markkcurtis says:

mmmm.

"Could not open Live Desktop.  Could not find the URL for the Live Desktop."

Have reinstalled and re-started but this update has definitely messed something up for me.

I’ll raise a bug.

6. Live Mesh Team says:

Regarding the Win7 conflict dialog box; we’re currently working on a fix.  As soon as it is included in a release we’ll announce it.

7. Live Mesh Team says:

Got questions?  The blog is a great place to get all the latest news regarding Live Mesh.  However, if you have questions we highly recommend the Live Mesh Forums.  Likewise, if you have a bug or suggestion, please use our Live Mesh Feedback tool.

Live Mesh Feedback:

Live Mesh Forums:

8. Satish Medos says:

Hello Live Mesh team , I am  a happy user of Live Mesh… Its a great work you guys are doing…. Keep the new features coming…. Kudos :)

9. Gregor says:

Would it be possible to keep the installer (exe) files on mesh.com up to date? You still offer an outdated build which then has to be updated to this new one… uncool.

Gregor

10. Lukas A. says:

Hi,

could you please add an option "Don’t synchronize on battery?" I mean on laptop computers – because I don’t need 100% sync but I need high battery lifetime and if I work on my laptop, mesh is still syncing and with the high CPU usage is problem…..

11. Pedro Silva says:

More space, please. 5GB too small.

Why not merge the 25GB skydrive + 5GB Mesh into 30GB shared?

12. Live Mesh Team says:

Have suggestions on how to improve Live Mesh?  We’d love to hear them!  Please send in your suggestions by using the Live Mesh Suggestion Form available at https://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?SiteID=425&ContentID=11403.  Also, please take a moment to review and rate the existing suggestions.  Thanks for improving Live Mesh!

13. ghis says:

Hello, thx for this stuff.

When the drag’n’drop is coming? I use Mesh on my personal laptop and on a computer on which I can’t install Mesh so this feature sounds pretty cool for me.

14. Live Mesh Team says:

Drag and drop is currently available for Mesh Live Desktop (requires installing the Live Desktop enhancements).  Live Mesh can be installed at http://www.mesh.com.  Additional information regarding Mesh can be found at http://connect.microsoft.com/livemesh.

15. John McDonnell says:

Beta?  My grad school seminar doesn’t think so!  They thought I was a geek until they tried it.  Now, they use it as if it’s a natural extension of their lives.  It’s just there, like their cell phones.

I am slightly kidding, and understand there are still issues, but it needs to be publicized more.

16. User says:

I think its a great service and I use it as an auto backup and remote desktop service but I think for full potential the available space should be increased to at least 10gb or the 25 gb that other sites like Skydrive have. Keep up the good work.

17. Joe says:

I love the idea of Live Mesh, but I always end up banging my head when my folders get messed up because of a sync-merge gone wrong.

Pretty much every folder I want to sync is already full of mostly-similar data on all my PCs. For example, Pictures. Or Music. All I want to do is, let sync merge ’em and then keep them in sync going forward.

Instead, I end up having to click through 90 ‘resolve conflict’ dialogs, one for each subfolder in my Pictures folder. And all I end up with is 180 folders ending in "(2)".

I tried using SyncToy to get the folders manually in sync first, so that Live Mesh would only have to start syncing new files— a much smaller burden since I don’t add that many that often. This was worse, since Live Mesh doesn’t seem to know how to compare the contents of subfolders. I just end up with Conflict Resolve dialogs for every subfolder.

My other recent woes?  Live Mesh Mobile basically destroyed an enitre folder on my Storage Card. Ever since syncing it once, the contents are just gone. And it’s got an I/O error and File Explorer can’t access or delete the folder (even with Live mesh mobile not running).

Maybe I’ll come back to LIve Mesh in a couple of months and try testing with a really super simple folder. But for Pictures and Music, I’m sticking with Sync Toy offline. :-(

18. Richard Whalen says:

Why do I get notification that updates are available, but there is nothing posted here about what the update is?  I just had one today.  It doesn’t happen for all computers that I use at the same time, it usually ends up staggered over a few days, before it occurs for each one.

19. Robert says:

I love Live Mesh and it helped me out, when my HDD crashed. I don’t know if you can fix the minor glitches with the windows 7 maximize features (when you drag the window to the top side of the screen), but that is really a detail and I have no other problems with Live Mesh.

Thanks for your hard work!

20. Live Mesh Team says:

The most recent Live Mesh update was for the PC (0.9.4014.4) on May 11th.  There has not been a version update since that time.

21. Atul Butte says:

Just hoping the private beta will be over soon for the windows mobile client… guess i wasn’t in the first 10,000 and have been locked out on the mobile side…

22. edgebert says:

@Live Mesh Team:

…update was for the PC (0.9.4014.4)…

Although 0.9.4014.4 had already been received on 5/11/09 it came down again today (6/3/09) and took about half a second to install/update — think y’all need to look into this.

thx

e

23. Will says:

I keep getting "updates are available" messages, then when I click install I get a "some updates could not be installed" error, on both my vista and win7 machines.

I already have 0.9.4014.4 installed.

24. Live Mesh Team says:

The message "updates are available" may appear as the Live Mesh Team performs some backend work.  The service is simply checking if you have the most recent update (0.9.4014.4) and if so, will not make any changes to your installation.

You can always find the current version numbers at http://connect.microsoft.com/livemesh.

25. Live Mesh Team says:

The Live Mesh for Mobile Beta has been opened to the public.  If you have a mobile phone with Windows Mobile 6.0 or higher, you can add the device to your mesh.  Live Mesh for Mobile access requires the following invitation code:

26. Aladdin says:

very nice and good idea, but How to Connect to remote computer from a computer in your mesh automatically and without permission?