Service Update (March 4, 2009)

The Live Mesh team is pleased to announce that our next update for Live Mesh for Mac will be available later today is now available. We will also be updating have also updated the Live Desktop. This release contains numerous bug fixes, as well as a few new features. Please see below for details, and thank you for using Live Mesh.

Features

• New Media Viewer on the Live Desktop.

• Live Mesh News will now display the date (as well as time) for all news items, even older ones.

Fixes

• Improved the Live Desktop quota calculation.

• Optimized MOE CPU/memory use.

• Fixed Mac client startup errors that caused client to shut down shortly after launching.

• Mac passwords containing extended characters now work properly.

• Device status (online/offline) now properly displayed on the Live Desktop, in the notifier, and in the Mesh bar.

• News now correctly displays the year.

For those of you keeping track, the new version numbers are:

• Live Mesh for Mac: 0.9.3821.962

• Live Desktop: 0.9.3424.31

Thank you for being one of the first to use Live Mesh!

Technorati Tags:LiveMesh

1. Glad to see bug fixes..but..why do Microsoft beta teams (with the notable exception of the new Windows 7 team so far) seem to always add new features while not adding basic functionality that was requested at the beginning of the Beta. Drag and drop for folders. One of THE most basic things you need for any kind of app in the cloud for reasons that should be obvious. Each time, we get new bells and whistles but basic features (and there are some others) I’ve been reading about on the forum since the early days just seem to be disregarded for the "cool" and updated. This was the problem with Vista, I see it as a problem with IE8 where the first betas focused on tons of new features that constantly created problems rather than just basic browsing, and now Mesh which I love seems to be getting caught up in "newness." I have said it before and I’ll say it again, Microsoft is best when the core software handles all the basics and then third party developers add bells and whistles. When Microsoft gets on the bells they get to a release and then are surprised when users ask a basic question like why won’t the browser "browse" or in this case why won’t the live desktop act like a desktop and let me drag and drop folders. I know we got to get bugs first but after bugs the comes basics.

2. Luke Amott says:

What about Windows Users will we be getting an update as well and what about Win Mobile ??

3. Luke Amott says:

What about windows and windows mobile users will we be seeing updates as well ??

4. Paul Roub says:

Any ETA on a Windows client update, esp. one addressing the "black screen" remote desktop issue? The feedback entry on that has been stuck at "working on a fix" for months.

5. jrronimo says:

Will the "Turning off Transparency when using remote desktop in Win7" bug ever be fixed for real?

6. Live Mesh Team says:

@ Windows client & Mobile client questions,

Please stay tuned: You have not, of course, been forgotten, and we’ll have more to say soon.

7. kai says:

Is delta sync going to be implemented sometime soon?

8. E says:

When will drag and drop start working for the live desktop?

9. Loïc says:

I tried the "My Phone" service, and the WinMo client is exactly what I could expect from a sync tool : light and fast !

To sync my thousand photos + videos, it took a time, but only to send them, not to scan them !

I really wish the next version of Live Mesh for WinMo will be a true soft (not a "limited" IE displaying web pages) and will improves speed AND basic function as choosing which folder to sync, or synching an existing folder in the mesh.

10. Am loving Mesh on Vista and OS X.

Why is it that even with the latest update, I have to restart Mesh on the Mac two or three times before it starts properly?

Rich

11. Peter G. Chase says:

Just installed the MAC update on MacBook Pro (today is 3/6/09); Live Mesh still crashes immediately upon attempted start-up. Not fixed yet.

12. jackr says:

I’m still getting crashes with this update. I tried updating first, then removing, rebooting, and re-installing. Is there perhaps a plist or something I’m missing when uninstalling?

13. Hurmoth says:

I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, but I cannot get Mesh to work on my Mac correctly.

It installs just fine, joins the Mesh okay, and starts to sync without any issues, but then a few minutes into syncing it stops and never finishes. I have a Windows Vista box and a Windows 7 box with Live Mesh syncing without any hitches.

14. MSDNArchive says:

@Loic, Richard Kimber, Peter G. Chase, jackr, & Hurmoth:

Please visit our support forum for further assistance: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/LiveMesh/threads/

15. VastSlug says:

Hi,

Installed on my 2 Mac Book Pros and works fine also both iMacs but my personal Mac Book Air (1st gen) and test one at work (1st gen) crash on startup (not the same error as the last version) this looks like an OS crash dialog window.

Cheers…

Model of both:

Model: MacBookAir1,1, BootROM MBA11.00BB.B03, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.8 GHz, 2 GB

Graphics: kHW_IntelGMA965Item, GMA X3100, spdisplays_builtin, 144 MB

Memory Module: BANK 0/Built-In 0, 1 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz

Memory Module: BANK 1/Built-In 1, 1 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz

AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8B), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.38.24)

Bluetooth: Version 2.1.3f8, 2 service, 0 devices, 1 incoming serial ports

Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en0

Network Service: Parallels Shared Networking Adapter, Ethernet, en1

Network Service: Parallels Host-Only Networking Adapter, Ethernet, en2

Parallel ATA Device: MCCOE64GEMPP, 55.9 GB (solid state)

16. MSDNArchive says:

@Peter G. Chase, jackr, & VastSlug,

We would appreciate you taking the time to file bugs with logs so that we can investigate the cause(s), if you wouldn’t mind.  Please see our bug submission sticky on our support forums for more details: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/LiveMesh/thread/d52b350a-f3e0-41c6-8e78-d6378e566b9e

17. Lee says:

Is there any idea when live mesh will start working for people stuck behind a work proxy?

I love using mesh, but I only really get half the benefit not being able to sync my two main computers together.

thanks!

18. MSDNArchive says:

@ Those still experiencing Mac client crashes:

Please see this sticky thread on our support forums for a resolution: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/LiveMesh/thread/6bc82eed-3daf-4f18-9a41-32917247a97d

19. Brian Hughes says:

Is this media viewer only for pictures?

I expected to be able to play the AVI I had stored on my live desktop, but alas it doesn’t seem to work… That would be fantastic if you could eventually update it to play movies from the live desktop! That way I wouldn’t have to download my 1.5 GB video of a concert anytime I wanted to watch/listen to it, but could watch it from any PC I was at (work/home/wherever) without syncing or having the live mesh software installed.

20. Peter G. Chase says:

Your instructions at

worked fine. My Live Mesh is now working again. Thanks very much.

21. john says:

i have version 0.9.3424.14, when i click "check for updates" its saying that i have the most up to date version… any ideas?

22. MSDNArchive says:

@ john,

This update was for Mac and the Live Desktop only. The Windows client version is still 3424.14

23. Matt says:

Cool stuff!

I was wondering if Live Mesh is eventually going to work with Oulook to sync e-mail like MobileMe does ?

24. Miguel says:

Will you make a version of Live Mesh for Mac PowerPC compatible?

Please!!

25. wai says:

would the storage space increase ? As the photo size is large and I want to keep the original, i used 4.7 GB space already :P…….. And the upload speed is a bit low, I connect Live Mesh from Hong Kong, average upload speed is only 100KB/s

26. Robert says:

1. Please add support for proxies that require authentication.

2. When I’m trying to display the unresolved conflicts on Windows 7 it writes all the text in one line so you can’t read anything.

27. Brian says:

It would be nice if Mesh wouldn’t change the permissions on files. We sync some web projects between workstations and we are constantly resetting the permissions on the files to inherit from the folder. You know so IUSR and ASPNET can do what we need them to.

28. Fduch says:

Live Mesh client forgets folders’ sync settings after each sign-in.

I chose "Never with this device" sync setting and it shows correctly on all other devices and on Live Desktop. But on that particular device(s) Live Mesh client doesn’t respect these settings placing shortcuts to all its folders on the desktop after each sign-in.

29. Live Mesh Team says:

@ Fduch,

This is currently the expected behavior (the shortcut folders will always reappear – though please note that they are not syncing: you have to double-click them to start the sync process, so Mesh is not forgetting your sync settings).  Many people have told us they don’t want those shortcuts on their desktop, though, and we’ve been listening. 🙂

30. gilles says:

hi

I regard those short cuts as annoying,I would like to opt out for their appareance.