We’ve go three parameters to deal with: sSoapPostURL, sSoapAction, sRequest
sSoapPostURL is pretty straight forward, it’s the URL for the web service. I’ve done this from .Net, it should look something like:
sSoapAction starts me scratching my head. It hasn’t been that long since I’ve written to a web service without .Net… has it? Yeah it has, been then I remember the WSDL (Web Service Description Language). Every web service needs one of these and that is where I get the information from. I start hunting through the Project Server directories, and don’t find a WSDL file in sight. What I do find is a bunch of aspx files named like projectwsdl.aspx and projectdisco.aspx. I open them up and surprise, just what I’m looking for. I have the signature of the service and can go dancing in the 70s after (ok bad joke). But….aaaackkk what a mess to navigate. Just when I’m about to dig in I remember adding web services to .Net… and a cool dialog box that has everything I’m looking for. I go to the “Add Web Reference” dialog, and reference project.asmx. I get a list of methods, click on ProjectList and sweet nectar I see the following:
Not only have I found my SoapAction, but exactly what I need for the Request too. It even told me I’d get back a dataset, which I kind-of already figured since everything is a dataset in the PSI.
OK we have a way to call the Project web service, using XMLHTTP. We have the parameters to pass in courtesy of .Net Add Web Reference dialog. I pull it together, make a call to get my list of projects and realize… what do I do with a dataset when I’m not in .Net? In my previous example I made EXTENSIVE use of binding datasets to UI elements, that’s not going to fly here. Wait, the serialized version of a dataset is just XML. I’m already hammering XML via XMLHTTP, how about a little DOM action? Off we go to load the DOM with the dataset that got returned. I start “spelunking” the DOM in search of my data, where the &^($^! is my data. I finally push the XML out to a file, then reload it in a DOM in .Net. Then I debug the DOM and find the data six levels deep, WOW! So to get the project list I end up with the following:
Once I find that it’s a matter of jamming this into some UI elements. Then I want to display the details of the project, so I retrace my steps for ReadProject. Once you get though the questions of how to talk to the web service and how to consume the data coming back it’s pretty straight forward.
Attached is the complete sample for your enjoyment. Don’t forget to change yourserver/pwa to reflect your instance.