January release notes

The Microsoft Dynamics Lifecycle Services team is happy to announce the immediate availability of the January release of Lifecycle Services.

PREVIEW RELEASE
This release includes a reworked experience with several preview features. These include:

• Methodology tasks can now be ordered
  • Beta feature management allows users to see and play with available betas and previews.

NEW FEATURES

• Infrastructure estimator now estimates D-series Azure resources and provides warnings and statistics when implementations are too large to size.
  • Issue Search now lists Management Reporter 2012 and Connector for Microsoft Dynamics issues.
  • Cloud powered support now automatically installs AX 2012 R3 application hotfixes for environments that require them.
  • System Diagnostics has added 24 new rules around SQL and database settings. Details below.
    • Priority Boost SQL Server configuration setting has been changed from the default value
    • Max Degree of Parallelism not set to 1
    • Max server memory not set to an optimal value
    • Lightweight pooling is enabled
    • Max worker threads has been modified
    • Auto Create Statistics option disabled for the Dynamics AX database
    • Full recovery model not implemented for Dynamics AX databases
    • Auto Update Statistics option disabled for Dynamics AX database
    • Auto Close option enabled for the Dynamics AX database
    • Auto Shrink option enabled for the Dynamics AX database
    • Read Committed Snapshot Isolation (RCSI) database option not enabled for the Dynamics AX database
    • Allow Snapshot Isolation is enabled for the Dynamics AX database
    • TempDB and Dynamics AX database collations do not match
    • Dynamics AX data file located on system drive
    • TempDB files not equal in size
    • TempDB log file auto growth increment not a fixed size between 100 MB and 500 MB
    • TempDB log file too small
    • Dynamics AX log file located on system drive
    • TempDB data file located on system drive
    • Dynamics AX database data file auto growth increment not a fixed size between 100 MB and 500 MB
    • Dynamics AX database log file auto growth increment not a fixed size between 100 MB and 500 MB
    • Number of TempDB files not optimal
    • Dynamics AX database log low on free space
    • Page life expectancy less than 1200 seconds

1. Tommy Skaue says:

Congratulations on yet another great release. Keep up the good work, guys! 🙂

2. David says:

do you have any interesting beta feature codes to share 🙂

3. Farhan says:

How can one access the BETA code of features ?

4. Claudia says:

Hi Jared.  My question isn't really relevant to this release but is quite general.  For the Project type.  As a partner we have Presales and Learn Options.

There is also functionality that allows you to change the owner of the project.  My question is, is there a way to create a presales project and progress this through to say for example a learn project?  Once ownership is changed to a customer, are other project types available.  I would like to confirm the intended use of LCS in the progress of project types and ownership.  I see the TechNet notes have changed but previously read the following – Partners and customers have access to different types of projects.

– Partners can create and work with Pre-sales and Learn projects, and customers can create and work with Implementation, Upgrade, and Maintenance projects.   Not sure if this is the case.  Please let me know your thoughts on best practice in terms of managing this.  Regards Claudia

5. Inway-FH says:

I noticed that the customization analysis tool has a new analysis category "DumpAnalysis" that has not been mentioned in the release notes. Could you give some information on this new category and the analysis categories in general So far I tried both model and mayer when analyzing my var-Layer models, but there does not seem to be any difference?

6. Dan McAllister says:

Hi Jared,

One of my LCS users is reporting that Issue Tracking (Work Items) are not working properly in the Classic Dashboard.  If you try to edit an existing item, you're unable to save any changes – I was able to reproduce.  It seems to work fine in the new dashboard, though.  Is this possible to fix?

Thanks!

7. Thomas Klitgaard, EG says:

Thanks for many great LCS releases! I am however missing one tiny feature, before I am able to use BPM for hosting our Process Model. I really need the uploaded Visio diagrams to keep the hyperlinks. I seems that Visio diagrams are converted to a simple picture. We need a richer diagram with hyperlinks to external documents and other uploaded Visio diagrams within the Process Model.

/Thomas Klitgaard

8. Hi,

For folks asking about beta features, the framework is now there for us to release beta codes. At this point there are only a few private betas. I would recommend going to the site below to sign up for AX feedback programs if you'd like to get involved:

9. Hi Claudia,

In the new LCS experience (Use the green try now link), we've removed the concept of project types and replaced it with methodologies. So hopefully this is a non-issue in the new experience.

10. Hi Inway-FH,

We're working on a new Dump analysis tool, but it's not available yet. It's a minor bug that we slipped out the area there before the release. You can expect to see a lot more about this tool in the next release or two.

11. Hi Dan,

That definitely looks like a bug, do you have any issue with switching your customer to the new tracking tool? We'll be turning off the old experience very soon, and I'd rather not spend time fixing something I intend to hide.

12. Hi Thomas,

I definitely see your point here. We're looking into some solutions to allow you to design and link better content to the "LCS style" flowcharts, but we're not doing much with Visio at this moment. The key reason is that it's HARD to host Visio content online with interactive elements like links. We've decided to focus more on our own editors experience in the next few months.

13. Dan McAllister says:

Hi Jared,

Didn't realize the old experience is going away – that's fine, we'll have that client switch to the new experience.  Thanks for the quick response!

14. Arpad Melega says:

Hi Jared,

This rule "Auto Close option enabled for the Dynamics AX database" generates a false warning in our environment. It is switched off (false) in our database. I found the FALSE vale in the SQL Server/DMVs/SQLParam/is_auto_close_on, so it looks OK. The warning condition is IsAutoCloseOn(False) = True (as of 2015.02.02. 12:16)

15. Brian Tallon says:

I have the same auto-close issue as Arpad.  The auto-grow also seems to be a false trigger.  Not a complaint, just feedback.  I really like the diagnostic tool.

16. Hi Arpad/Brian,

I've filed a bug on our team to investigate and fix this rule. Thanks for the heads up!

17. Waldemar Pross says:

HI guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for regular release and info updates.

Please do spend more time for aspects like stability, UX. I see MS is getting better in these areas and is recovering from the "featuritis" slowly.

18. lally says:

Hi ,

lcs.dynamics.com/…/HomeIndex

In the home , when i click on the Information source , that page is not opening .

Can i know  why the information source is not opening ?

Thanks in advance

19. Hi Lally,

Information Source was decommissioned recently. All of the content is now available on customer/partner source or LCS. We'll be removing that link shortly.

20. Thorsten Scholl says:

When my customer tries to add a user to a Project, an error appears stating the required permissions were missing to complete this Action. This is strange, because she used to have these permissions before. Any idea, what we need to do?

Thank you for your Kind assistance.

Thorsten

21. Raza says:

I have created step by step Tutorial of almost all the Tools in LCS, If you can share with community, it might help someone who is learning LCS brand new. It contains step by step usage of every tool as well as common errors resolution that folks face while using these tools. I am still creating video tutorial of remaining Tools and will keep updating the playlist. I thought it would be great to help LCS community this way.

22. Moutasem Al-awa says:

Thanks for the new release and for shared updates.

We have dealing with performance related issues on a big implementation and SQL is the key factor always. That's a great step to add those new rules

23. Charles Hanson says:

Some of the latest tools and features of LCS are great.  However, I am looking for any new information regarding RapidStart services.  Does anyone have any updates or news to share on that front?  Jared?

24. Alex says:

Hi. I’m interesting in using new rules for SQL server. I understood that I can see them in System Diagnostics “Messages” tab but I can't. Is it correct? What should I do to see them?

25. Peter Rutter says:

Hi Jared,
    I’ve just installed LCS to evaluate the AX system we have and find that quite a few of the system diagnostic report items are unpopulated. If I go to the collectors they are mostly marked as “No data collected”. In two cases the relevant Event Log shows:
    Data file IndexStats.xml has exceeded the maximum size limit of 64MB. This data file is excluded from the uploading package.
    and
    Data file OA_Common_NumSequenceTableScoped.xml has exceeded the maximum size limit of 64MB. This data file is excluded from the uploading package.
    Further in the report there is an entry for Fixed Assets with no depreciation schedule but it contains no details but if I look in the collectors the three relevant assets are held there.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks,