‘nuf said.

1. Anonymous says:

So did you win Last Check-In Chicken for this release?

2. Nope.  I actually don’t know which teams ended up being the final checkins.

3. Anonymous says:

what about the compiled date? is it July 13th?

4. Anonymous says:

Best. Windows. Ever.

(I contributed!)

5. Anonymous says:

Sources suggest it is the 13th.

6. macbirdie says:

Congratulations to you, Larry and to other Microsofties!

Out of curiosity – do you happen to know, how much time it takes to make a full build of Windows 7 code?

7. Leo Davidson says:

Yay. o/ Looking forward to installing this for real, after only really dabbling with Win7 in VMs and a test machine (that I never really use) until now.

8. Maciej: Funny you should ask that: http://edge.technet.com/Media/Building-Win7-interview-with-a-Build-Engineer/

Shorter video: About 12 hours according to Istvan.

9. Anonymous says:

Stupid question, but why is the product being called Windows 7 when it’s really a 6th-generation Windows build?  I was expecting the official title to change (as when Longhorn became Vista).

10. Anonymous says:

Damn, 16385 is not good. It really should have been 16384 (2^7)! Come on, 2 to the power of 7, that would have been awesome 😉

11. Seth, check out Mike Nash’s blog post where he explains why 7.  The 6.1 version is for appcompat reasons.

When we locked the final escrow build of Windows, the QFE number was 16384 (which is the 0th QFE number).  We rebuilt the system once after we put the build in escrow (to take a couple of late breaking recall class fixes) so the QFE number bumped by 1 to 16385.

12. Anonymous says:

Shame you missed out on the magic 16KB version… 😉

13. Miral, it was very unlikely that we’d ever be able to ship with a QFE # of 16384.  In fact I’m astonished we only took one fix during the RTM escrow period.  According to this (http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.php?showtopic=4167) post, vista went through 3 QFE #s between when it was locked for escrow and shipped.

14. Anonymous says:

Amazing work across the board, but since I’ve been reading your blog I pay increasing attention to audio and while Vista was light-years ahead of XP in terms of audio control, Win7 is a massive improvement over Vista.

Congratulations to you and the rest of your team.

15. Anonymous says:

Larry, can you confirm that the RTM release of windows 7 (6.1.7600.16385), was compiled on the 13th July? Thanks!

16. Anonymous says:

Uh, 16384 is not 2^7; it’s 2^14.

17. Anonymous says:

Thanks Larry, looking forward to Windows 7. I do like the audio feature (on Vista) that gives me a volume control for each application.

18. > I do like the audio feature (on Vista) that gives me a volume control for each application.

In Windows 7, the per-app volume controls have volume meters now (like the device volume controls have in Vista.)