If you live in the US, don’t forget to vote today

It’s a really big deal, regardless of your political persuasion.

Already the MSFT internal mailing lists have been filled with people asking “how long are the lines at my polling place”.  The good news is that the times appear to be pretty good – people seem to be getting in and out in very little time (at least in the town in which I live).

For people living in King and Pierce counties in Washington State, this will be the last time that they will vote in person.  The rest of the state already votes entirely by mail, and starting next year, both counties will also switch to vote-by-mail.

The state of Oregon has already switched to a 100% vote-by-mail system, with the switchover in King and Pierce counties, Washington state will join Oregon in eliminating the ballot box.

Valorie and I have been voting absentee for about 5 years now, personally I like it – by voting at home, we have the opportunity to scope out the candidates at our leisure.  That in turn means that we’re going to vote more accurately.

So if you live in the US, please, PLEASE vote today.

1. Anonymous says:

Voting by mail is fine…

…if you got your ballot.

There’s no recourse for people who have moved, are unavailable, or their ballot got "lost".  In 2006, my ballot arrived at my mailbox the day after the election.  To say the least, I was pissed.  Hopefully some of those kinks got ironed out this year; mine arrived last Friday this year.  There’s no reason why they shouldn’t be in our hands two, three weeks ahead of time…

2. Anonymous says:

How did the introduction of postal voting affect participation rates? In New Zealand we introduced postal voting for local government, and saw the participation rate plunge. That isn’t helpful.

3. Anonymous says:

Care to make a threat modeling diagram for absentee/mail-in voting vs. paper and sealed metal box voting?

4. Gordon: As I understand it in both Oregon and the counties in WA that have adopted vote-by-mail, the participation numbers have increased.  But I don’t pretend to follow these things.

5. Anonymous says:

Gordon: Hardly anybody cares about local government elections anyway (since the various candidates have very little publicity).  That’s more why participation rates fell off than anything else.  We have a fairly high participation rate for national elections.

6. bjmurph says:

You mean: "If you are a US Citizen, don’t forget to vote today"

I live in the US, and can’t vote because I’m an Australian Citizen. (Not that I’d want to, you vote for too many things here. Voting for the head of the executive? Judges? Treasurers? Euthanasia? Driving in HOV lanes during the day?)

7. Anonymous says:

"You mean: "If you are a US Citizen, don’t forget to vote today""

You mean: "If you are a US Citizen && you live in the US, don’t forget to vote today"

If you’re a US Citizen living outside the US, don’t forget to vote 2 weeks ago, by mail.

8. Anonymous says:

How does voting at home help you vote more accurately?  The candidates and issues are well known in advance, so you can scope out the positions you think are best at your leisure in advance, whether you fill out a mail-in form, or visit your local polling precinct.

9. Tanveer Badar says:

But didn’t each of you affect the other person’s choice? It could have been different had you two didn’t have the luxury of voting while sitting on your couch.

10. > didn’t each of you affect the other person’s choice

Not in my house.  My wife and I don’t tell each other who we voted for, even after the election.

11. Anonymous says:

I like to wait for election day to vote. That way I feel like I participated in the excitement. There wasn’t a line because so many people had voted early! My polling place even had a concession stand trailer outside. It was like a carnival.

Skip to main content