I’m So Excited!

image

‘nuf said.

I know it’s bragging, but I’m sorry – I really couldn’t resist.  It’s been a very long time.

1. Roger says:

Care to explain for the rest of us?  So far I can come up with the following explanations:

<ol>

<li>You have finally upgraded to Vista

<li>Someone has retired and you get their alias hoping to reduce spam

<li>You have written a dialog similar to profile lookup in Outlook

<li>You now have a title of Principal Software Development Engineer (although Microsoft is advertising for a lot of those)

<li>You have credentials for education (another interpretation of SDE)

<li>You managed to get the government to remove your middle name/initial

</ol>

2. Congratulations Larry! It is well deserved!

3. Cronan says:

Wow. Congratumalations are in order!

4. StigR says:

Congratulations, well deserved! :)

5. Boris says:

Congratulations.

(I’m going to take a guess regarding the alias: "loster".)

6. Marco Shaw says:

OK, so for those of us that don’t know you so well…  Why is this exciting?  The "PRINCIPAL SDE" part?  Which translates to…?

7. Barry Leiba says:

I presume the bragging is the "Principal SDE" part, eh?  Promotion?  Congratulations, Larry!

8. LarryOsterman says:

Barry got it (not that it was a puzzle – I was intentionally obscure).  It’s been about 20 years since I was last promoted, so it’s been a while.  On Friday my title was "Senior SDE".

9. Tim Smith says:

Congrats!

What ballpark % of people are Principals?

10. Scott says:

Larry- what is a Principal SDE? Is this a Level 68+ SDE?

11. Nathan_works says:

You just can’t hide it.. you know, you know, you know you want to..

12. Holy cow!  I thought it was difficult to get a promotion at my company.  I hope I don’t have to wait twenty years!

Congratulations, Larry.

13. congratulations!… and what does that mean now that you are "principal SDE"?

14. Maurits says:

> loster

Actually it’s LaOs. (Not really.)

15. mvadu says:

Congrats Larry..

by the way in my company we get promotions in around 3 years. Sad thing is there will hardly any difference in our before and after salary. They increase the % of some thing call variable pay which is always paid <100%. But, yes our title changes every three years.

16. Monica says:

Congrats!  (But, err, I had assumed you already *were*… what’s up with the long time between promotions?)

17. LarryOsterman says:

Monica, as I’ve said, there’s an intentional huge bar between Senior and Principal.  There’s an even higher bar between Principal and Partner.

18. Igor Levicki says:

Congratulations Larry! Your family must be proud of you.

19. The Wife says:

Just to clarify: we’re always proud of Larry. Larry’s one of those passionate, good guys always thinking of what’s in the best interests of the company and the user.  The number of late night conversations wondering if this is the right direction to go, or trying to think through the ramifications of design decisions are uncountable. His, um, efforts in this haven’t always been well received, but his heart’s always been right in the thick of things. As far as I’m concerned, this promotion is merely confirmation that he’s been doing a stellar job for a long time.

I am beyond happy that Larry got this promotion but mostly because it’s made Larry believe that he’s earned it. One of the strange things about Microsoft is that you pretty much have to act as if you’ve already been promoted *and get everybody else to treat you that way* before you can get the actual promotion. This means that not only do you need to change your own behavior and sphere of influence, but you need other people to let you change and recognize your growth and progress.

Yeah, I know, I’m weird, but I’m also proud of Larry’s boss.  That whole problem of acting like you’ve already been promoted while getting everyone else to treat you as if you’ve been promoted is a very hard nut to crack. Larry’s current boss has been instrumental in finding out what Larry needed to do, nudging (sometimes with an axe!) into the right direction then complimenting him on a job well done while talking about ways things could have gone better. That’s not to say that Larry’s previous bosses hadn’t been making the effort, but rather to say that I’m proud that Larry’s current boss managed to get the promotion accomplished.

So dear, now are you happy I forced you to go buy the big screen TV? :-)

20. Congrats Larry! Onto partner-hood now 😉

21. Rick Schaut says:

Congratulations, Larry.  I’m abundantly pleased for you.  The Principal SDE ceiling is a very difficult one to break through, and is as dependent on the opportunities you have as it is on your abilities.

From what I’ve seen of you, Larry, you’ve had the ability for some time, and only needed the opportunity to exercise it.

Again, congratulations.  This is a seminal achievement.

22. Mike Dunn says:

Larry has been at MS so long, I would guess that his alias is "larry" :)

23. Sys64738 says:

Congratulations Larry!

BTW: Could you please explain to us non-Microsoft people the difference between Senior, Principal, Partner SDE?

Thanks

24. Edie says:

Congratulations Larry!!!!  It’s been long deserved. You all must be so excited– and I hope you got a really great new TV.

25. michael_HOWARD says:

Larry – mucho congrats. Of course, you now need a bigger wheelbarrow to take your paycheck home! But seriously, there are some devs at Microsoft worth their weight in gold, and you are most certainly one of them…

Cheers, Mikehow

26. Elaine Osterman says:

I am thrilled for Larry and am always proud of him.  This wonderful promotion is acknowledgment of the great work he has been doing and the potential he has to do even more challenging work.

I totally agree with Valorie — we have always been proud of him.  To hear the excitement in his voice when he called with the news was priceless and made me so joyful for his recognition as a great asset to Microsoft.  His proud Mom.

27. Elaine Osterman says:

28. Congratulations,

Another post from the outside.

I thought you were getting the promotion because you finally cracked the GUI LOVE MACHINE instead of remaining a bit-flipper (awkward sense of dis-humour there.)

If all Microsoft SDEs were to communicate as well as you larry (which they may well do?) then Microsoft certainly remains with a bright future.

Congratulations to you Larry, and more congratulations to Microsoft for recognising talent, dedication, and plain old sweat.

Back to my kennel

29. LarryOsterman says:

Actually it’s primarily in recognition of the security work I’ve been doing for the past couple of years.

But showing the willingness to work in an area where I was totally unfamiliar certainly didn’t hurt.

30. Aaron Margosis says:

That is so cool!  How did you get your alias replaced with a smudge?  That’s like something Prince would do.   :)

31. LarryOsterman says:

Aaron, you just need to know the right people to ask over in IT.  Working in Exchange for a while helps :)

32. Congratulations, indeed — it’s well deserved.

33. Derik Stenerson says:

Hey Larry. I happened across your blog while searching for some information and saw this post. Congratulations! Well deserved. I hope all is well.

34. Your best ple says:

Don’t forget Principle Engineer, for people who are better at writing C++ than English.