What’s wrong with this code, part 22 – Drawing Text…

Recently I’ve been working on something that I’ve never done before in my almost 24 years at Microsoft.

For the past 23ish years, I’ve been a plumber – all the work I’ve done has been under the covers.  But for the next version of Windows, I decided to stretch my boundaries a bit and try some UI programming.  I’ve just spent the past few days working on a cool change to the volume control (it’s not important what it is, and most people will never know about the change, but those that do will probably agree with me :)).

As part of the change, I needed to measure the dimensions of a text string.  This is a dummy version of some code I wrote, I simply called DrawText with the DT_CALCRECT into a memory DC that I created.

BOOL InitInstance(HINSTANCE hInstance, int nCmdShow)
   HWND hWnd;

hInst = hInstance; // Store instance handle in our global variable

hWnd = CreateWindow(szWindowClass, szTitle, WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,

if (!hWnd)
      return FALSE;
   HDC hdc = CreateCompatibleDC(NULL);

RECT rcText = {0, 0, 88, 34};

CAtlString string;
   string.Format(L"Text String occupies: %d x %d pixels", rcText.right - rcText.left, rcText.bottom - rcText.top);
   MessageBox(hWnd, string, L"String Size", 0);
   ShowWindow(hWnd, nCmdShow);

return TRUE;

This is just code I took by using Visual Studio to create a Windows Win32 project and inserting the code between “BEGIN LARRYS CODE” and “END LARRYS CODE”.  The meat of the code is just 3 lines of code.

Even though there’s almost no code here, it still has a bug in it that was quite subtle and took me several hours to find.

1. Anonymous says:

CreateCompatibleDC requires that you call DeleteDC when you are done with the handle, so there’s a GDI handle leak.

2. Aaron, Doh!

Stupid bug, but not the one I was looking for.

3. Anonymous says:

Why would you use DT_END_ELLIPSIS if you’re trying to measure the rectangle you need to fit the string in?

4. Will, that’s a good question that’s tied up with the actual use of the code.  It’s not germane to the bug however.

I could probably get rid of the DT_ENDELLIPSIS in my code actually.

5. Anonymous says:

You wrote that you needed the dimensions of the text but you also init’d the rect.  Not clear if you meant the centered, word broken dimensions or if those flags are the problem (DT_WORDBREAK will look at the rect dimensions).

6. Anonymous says:

Must your first application window be visible before calling CreateCompatibleDC with NULL?

7. Anonymous says:

Don’t you need to call CreateCompatibleBitmap before using the DC? Or is it not required because you aren’t really drawing to it?

8. Anonymous says:

I am not familiar with the usage of the second and third arguments in your call to string.Format().  Aren’t those rectangular quantities graphical in nature and not textual?  In other words, seems you want string lengths not graphical dimensions for those arguments.

9. Anonymous says:

I don’t know if others feel the same but I dislike posts like this. Several programming blogs do it. It’s like a non-post to me, or a tease. I can usually look at the code and see several bugs but I have no idea if they are the one that’s meant to be interesting or not so it never really seems worth it.

I’d rather the answer was given at the same time as the code. You could put it in spoiler tags for people who want to try to guess, while people who don’t (or who have guessed and want to see if they got the the same thing) don’t have to wait for the correct answer to be revealed.

Knowing there are one or more bugs in some code isn’t interesting to me. Knowing what the bug(s) is/are, so I can be aware of falling into similar traps, is what’s interesting.

If other people like this style of post (which might well be the case given how popular it seems to be with various blogs) then ignore me and carry on. I can always ignore the posts and wait for the follow-ups with the answers. But I thought I might not be alone in this and it might be worth putting out the idea of giving the solution in a "spoiler box" or something, so people can choose whether or not to reveal the answer. Then everyone’s happy.

10. Anonymous says:

You didn’t select a font into the memory DC. So… unless you plan to draw with the default font (ugh), you’re gonna get incorrect results.

11. Anonymous says:

Isn’t ‘string’ a keyword of standard C++?

12. Anonymous says:

I notice that you are not checking to make sure that CreateCompatibleDC returns a valid DC.  I’m not 100% sure that the application has a current screen before you’ve issued the ShowWindow() call, but it probably does.

The more confusing thing is that you are using a variable named string which may cause problems with the STL libraries if you are using any of those.

An issue that you can sometimes run into is because each element in your RECT is declared as a LONG, the simple math you do in that format string is done with LONGs.  The format string itself is declaring that your output is %d which is just "int" and so the numbers might and up being strange in your output.  Either typecasting the math result to "int" or using the format string %ld would take care of the particular issue.

13. Anonymous says:

That’s probably not it, but 2 things:

1) You most likely want to set a nicer font than the default

2) DT_CENTER looks unnecessary

14. Martin, the window visible thing isn’t relevant, the code as written will exhibit the bug (I did check).

William Bonner: The code dos return a valid DC, since it’s a memory DC

As for the string thing, you’re right, I was sloppy.

Leo: The "What’s wrong with this code" posts are all about pointing out gotchas that aren’t always obvious, usually after I’ve spent a long time trying to figure something out.  They’re interactive, which allows people to comment (and to point out my mistakes as several people have above).

Ivo: DT_CENTER might not be necessary, I’m not sure.  But when I go ahead and actually draw the text, it will have the flag, so I added it.

And you’re <i>very</i> close on the "nicer font" part of your comment.  The challenge is realizing why chosing a nicer font matters.

15. Anonymous says:

Doh! That must be it – you need to select the correct font with the correct size, orientation, etc. Unless you really want to use the default font/size. And I second Shog9’s "ugh" on this.

16. Ivo: Why is setting the correct size important?  And I’d missed Shog9’s comment, thanks for pointing it out.

Remember, I tried this code and it worked perfectly.  But while I was testing the change, I discovered that I had made a horrible but really subtle mistake.

17. Anonymous says:

From MSDN on CreateCompatibleDC:

"When a memory DC is created, all attributes are set to normal default values." Default font is SYSTEM_FONT, which is not considered "nice" these days :). I believe that adding (as a simplest example)

SelectObject(hDC, GetStockObject(DEFAULT_GUI_FONT))

DrawText(hDC, …)

would illustrate the problem that Larry is referring to.

18. Konstantin: In my case, selecting DEFAULT_GUI_FONT actually made things worse :).

The font’s the right answer, but there’s something more going on – what scenario did I test that nobody so far has mentioned?

19. Anonymous says:

"what scenario did I test that nobody so far has mentioned?"

The scenario where the default font is meant to be written right-to-left?

20. Anonymous says:

Perhaps using "Large fonts"? Or changing the system’s default GUI font in another fashion?

21. Anonymous says:

Something to do with right-to-left fonts maybe?

Just guessing, I have no idea 🙂

22. Anonymous says:

I wonder if it’s got something to do with ClearType — CreateCompatibleDC will (if I remember correctly) give you a DC with a 1×1 black and white (single bit) bitmap initially selected into it.

For bitmap, stroke and TrueType fonts, this won’t be a problem — they render in black and white. I wonder if, for ClearType fonts, it needs a bitmap of the correct colour depth, in case there’s a pixel or so of extra ClearType-ness going on.

To get a bitmap of the correct depth, you can use CreateCompatibleBitmap(NULL).

Just guessing, though.

23. Jon, good thought, but that would be symetrical.

24. Anonymous says:

> what scenario did I test that nobody so far has mentioned?

Large fonts?  Does SYSTEM_FONT not scale properly?

25. Ding!Ding!Ding!

Eldan nailed it: Large fonts.

For whatever reason, when you set the system to 144 DPI (large fonts), the default font that’s used for the control I’m using to draw the text gets dramatically larger than either the system font OR the default GUI font.  Which caused my size calculations to be wrong, which caused some ugly clipping.

26. Also Justin: Apparently the system font doesn’t scale the same as other fonts do.

27. Anonymous says:

While we are talking volume controls. Could you explain why it’s only possible to lower the volume in Windows (i.e. setting a volume between 0% and 100%) and not raise it (i.e setting it higher than 100%)?

28. Nils: Way off topic.  I’ll answer in another post.

29. Anonymous says:

Ummm… Why not use GetTextExtentPoint32 [ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms534223(VS.85).aspx ]?

"The GetTextExtentPoint32 function computes the width and height of the specified string of text."

– Oli

30. Oli: Because GetTextExtentPoint32 doesn’t do word wrap, and for my case, I need the word wrap behavior.

31. Anonymous says:

So it is the font then 🙂

But I can’t agree it is a subtle mistake. Regardless of large fonts/DPI (not the same thing btw, large fonts increases the point size of the font, and DPI increases the size of a point in pixels) using a different font for drawing text and measuring the rect is wrong, wrong, wrong. Even in your simple case when the system font and the control’s font are the same size it will give the wrong result. For one thing, the system font is monospace and the control most likely uses a proportional font. Depending on the text, you’ll get wider or narrower rectangle. It gets even worse with word-wrapping. You may get one more or one less line. And assuming this code will end into production, the text will most likely be localized. The system font can’t handle some

characters and will render them as squares (or will use some default font substitution). Either way, it will give wrong metrics.

Ideally, you should get the font from the control. Just ask nicely: SendMessage(hWnd,WM_GETFONT,0,0). Assuming the control handles this message correctly.

32. Ivo, I know – that’s what the final solution in my code does.

And to me it was subtle – the code worked just fine in all my test scenarios before I went to high DPI.

33. Anonymous says:

Larry, completely off topic, but since you’re toying with volume-control related UI now, maybe you can fix this bug that really annoys me every time I open the mixer in vista/server2k8: I have my default window colour set to light gray as I find it much easier on the eyes than the default white. When I open the mixer, the application names for each of the per-application volume controls all have black text on white backgrounds, rather than using the default window background colour.

See http://www.dhiren.za.net/files/pictures/mixer.png

34. Anonymous says:

The amount of software that gets broken with large fonts is evidence to something terribly rotten in the API (including it’s documentation in this context). The API merely providing means to achieve the goal of extent calculation simply isn’t enough; it should lead the developer away from such pitfalls.

Oh well, I guess this can be attributed to backward compatibility or legacy code or whatever.

35. Anonymous says:

Now that 3 or 4 bugs in the code have been pointed out, perhaps the original post can be updated to reflect the fixes?

i would hate for someone googling for how to measure text to find this on MSDN and thinks it’s the perferred method.

36. Ian: Typically I post an answers link with the corrected code in it.

Dhiren: You know, this is the first that anyone’s pointed it out to me…  I’ll file a bug to make sure it’s fixed at some point in the future :).

Eldan: It’s more complicated than that.  My code was incorrect from the beginning, I just hadn’t tested it enough.  Large fonts happened to point out the fundamental bug in my code, but the bug was there all along – it’s entirely possible the bug would have been found with an international version of the code for example.

37. Anonymous says:

Ahh, and I figured you were talking about the race condition on the user switching fonts out from under you. (kidding)

38. Anonymous says:

Nils Arthur asked: why it’s only possible to lower the volume in Windows (i.e. setting a volume between 0% and 100%) and not raise it (i.e setting it higher than 100%)?

Because it doesn’t go up to eleven ?

39. Anonymous says:

Leo Davidson, I think the comments here prove your point.  I agree with you.

40. Anonymous says:

Indeed large fonts is just a single facet of the problem.

The whole font-handling segment of the GDI API is problematic. That bug which have been there all along wouldn’t have been there if the API would guide you to obtain the correct font before you measure.

41. Anonymous says:

This is without running the code, just by reading:

1. Isn’t there a conflict between using DT_END_ELLIPSIS (which changes the text it does not fit in the rectangle) together with DT_CALCRECT (which expands the rectangle to fit the text)?

2. The original rectangle is 88 pixels wide.

And then we check the behavior of DT_CALCRECT:

The rectangle gets expanded vertically and the text is wrapped, unless the largest word is wider than the rectangle. In that case the width gets increased to fit the largest word.

So at big DPI the 88 pixels are too little and the width will grow.

3. Using generic APIs and data types (MessageBox, CAtlString, etc.) with Unicode strings (L"…") instead of generic text ( _T("…") or TEXT("…") ). Probably does not matter in Win, I assume it’s all build as Unicode (and is detected at compile time, and has nothing to do with the font 🙂

42. Mihai, actually the wordwrap and endelipsis flags together mean that it won’t actually add the elipsis until it has to.  From what I’ve seen, the API doesn’t change the width.

43. Anonymous says:

The other day, I wrote about measuring the dimensions of a piece of text using the DrawText API . My