Looking for Autumn…

I just noticed this on Engadget.

A Vanity Fair writer named Nick Tosches set off on a seemingly quixotic quest to find the origin of the Windows wallpaper “Autumn”.

Eventually, through many twists and turns (and some apparent arm twisting by a senior photo editor at VF), he was able to discover the name of the photographer, and from him (and some interesting detective work by some locals) he was able to find the original location of the photo.

An awesome read.

1. Rick says:

Very interesting….I live in Milton :)

2. Jeff Muir says:

I’m not sure if he really wanted to reach the end.  He must have been both relieved and a bit disappointed to reach the end of his journey.

It actually sounds a bit fun to track something like down.  Reminds me a bit of the quest for the holy grail.

The real question is will he go there this autumn? :)

3. Vijay says:

Quixotic indeed! Maybe tour operators can include pitstops for all Windows desktop backgrounds from now :)

4. Dentaku says:

Maybe some day people will be hunting down Michael Swanson to find out where the Leaf2 Vista wallpaper was photographed.

5. DanT says:

Very nice.  I’ve been curious about one of the images that didn’t make the final build.  It’s a grassy seaside view with a low fence running along the bottom and lots of blue sky over head.  It was my favorite so when I notice it wasn’t in beta2 I grabbed a copy from an earlier build.  I’d like to find out where it was taken but I don’t have the time/resources to do what this guy did.

6. DanT says: