Way back when, back in the very early days of this blog (actually it was the 3rd post to my blog), I wrote a story about John Vert complaining about CTRL-C not working on network commands.
Well, yesterday I got a piece of email from one of the developers in COSD. I've sanitized it a bit, but here's the important part:
So John, this one's for you, even though it's been 13 years since I worked on that code, your complaint wasn't ignored, and it's finally been fixed.
I have no idea what build will contain the fix, or even if the fix will make the final product, but it's getting there.
As I type this, I can just imagine the /. headline: "Microsoft takes 13 years to fix a bug". The reality is WAY more complicated than that. To actually make this fix work required a significant amount of change to the I/O subsystem and a number of changes to the way that I/O cancellation works. The biggest piece of the picture is the new CancelSynchronousIo API that was added to Vista to handle just this situation, without that support (as mentioned in my the original article), it wouldn't have been possible to fix the problem.