Things to do with your son over a long wet weekend…

This weekend, Daniel and I went to Dash Point State Park for a lovely two days of working out in the rain with a dozen other members of our dojo (karate school).

We arrived on Saturday morning at 8:30AM and left at 5:00 on Sunday, and we worked out a LOT.  There’s something about doing Nifunchun Shodon for 45 minutes in the rain, non-stop.  Or standing still, with your knees bent, and tailbone tucked under for an hour.  Lots of fun, but my quads are SO sore right now :).

There’s no question that for me, the highlight of the weekend came at the end.  The three candidates for black belt got up and demonstrated the “Core Six” Katas (forms) for the rest of the group.

Here’s Daniel doing Bassai Dai:

Later on in Bassai Dai:

And, when it was all done,

Daniel finally got his black belt!  He’s been working hard for this for more than half his lifetime – he started training when he was five and a half years old, and he’s been training for the belt now for seven years.

Needless to say, I’m increadibly proud of him, I know how much he’s worked on getting to this point.  You ca’t really see the goofy grin on his face in this picture, but it was there, take my word for it.

1. Anonymous says:

What a dirty kid.

I reccommend Oxy-Action or Drive with enzymes.

2. Anonymous says:

I’m going to be posting the pictures of the rest of us at some point on my personal pages. None of us were any cleaner, we’d just finished ground sparring in the sand.

Most of that’s sand, almost all of it brushed off.

Camp’s all about gtting dirty, I thought he looked just fine. You should have seen me – my beard’s getting on about 6 inches long now (finally getting it trimmed on Thursday), and I’ve still not gotten all the sand out of it – after about 6 washings. We even had sand coming out of our ears.

3. Anonymous says:

you really should ignore the trolls

4. Anonymous says:

David’s not being a troll. I’ve seen trolls before, and he’s not one :).

Actually, I thought his comment was actually funny 🙂

Realistically, Karate camp’s all about this strange form of masochism where most of the things that you take for granted (dry clothes, clean hair, high quality food, a mattress, etc) are discarded in favor of being sweaty, dirty, stinky.

It’s kind-of hard to explain it to someone who’s never done it.

5. Anonymous says:

It was funny.

6. Anonymous says:

Congratulations to your son. Getting a black belt in any form is a tough row to hoe.

I’ve never done the karate camp thing either, but it’s intent is to get you out of your "comfort zone" so you can become focused on what’s really important in your life.

7. Anonymous says:

Congratulations to your son. That’s pretty spectacular.