Warning: Minor Political Incorrectness Within…

Feel free to skip this…

I was driving home from work today, and noticed something I had never seen before.

On the other side of the street was a jogger.

Nothing new there, there are joggers all over Microsoft.  Until I noticed that he had a white cane with a red tip sweeping in front of him.

Yup, a blind jogger, running.  Next to a major street, assisted only by his cane.

Pretty cool, IMHO.

1. Anonymous says:

Larry, what’s politically incorrect about that? It’s fine to notice people have physical limitations, and it’s terrific to discover that they’ve overcome them.

2. Anonymous says:

I agree with the leftest liberal on this one, the title would be better renamed "Warning: Inspiration within."

3. Anonymous says:

Because I figured it was politically incorrect to notice and/or admire his management of disability.

4. Anonymous says:

spong.ath.cx :: What is this country coming to?

5. Anonymous says:

If you jog below 170 paces per min, the cane will blow up!

6. Anonymous says:

well, you did say he’s blind, should have said he’s vision challenged to be more p.c.

7. Anonymous says:

I’ve always wondered about that fine line, is it a bad thing to admire? How would I react if someone said "Wow, a woman in a tech job! That’s so impressive!". Well, it *has* happened to me, and I haven’t reacted well 🙂

I just saw an email about a blind person who joined a product team, and it had some really interesting information on how to work with that person, being careful to announce when you come into their office and that kind of thing. I can’t help but be so impressed, though.

8. Anonymous says:

Valorie’s been fascinated by these discussions, especially where the fine line lies…

Her comment was that we should think about the intent behind the person making the comment. Was the intent to belittle the recipient? Or was it something else?

9. Anonymous says:

KC, I agree with the fine line comment – I’m sure there is one. As far as I know (possibly I am a bit naive) the issue of women in tech is a bit different. I don’t think there is some "real" handicap or hurdle to overcome as much as "artificial" ones like notions that the tech industry is primarily for men. Sadly, insensitive people are everywhere, including tech.

It still pains me to see adults say things to kids that are discriminatory/sexist (probably they are unaware of it in some cases). Example: A little girl may be told she should be a nurse when she grows up – and the same person suggesting a career for a boy may say doctor.