PowerShell – How to create a PSCredential object

Several PowerShell commandlets take a PSCredential object to run using a particular user account. You can create the PSCredential object by using Get-Credential commandlet which opens a dialog to enter the username and password. This way of entering credentials can be used in an interactive mode.

$mycredentials = Get-Credential

When you have to provide credentials in non-interactive mode, you can create a PSCredential object in the following way.

$secpasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString "PlainTextPassword" -AsPlainText -Force
$mycreds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ("username", $secpasswd)

You can now pass $mycreds to any -PSCredential input parameter

* You may not want to reveal PlainTextPassword for your personal accounts as a general precaution. Use a common user account and password that everyone knows for your non-interactive PSCredential usage.

* Tested with PowerShell 2.0

1. Many thanks – just what I was looking for!

2. Scott Alvarino From Techjunkie.tv says:

Great post it works great now i can use the send-mailmessage cmdlet in Powershell 2.0.

Here is the link to my site so you can check it out mashed up with your code

techjunkie.tv/how-to-use-send-mailmessage-with-a-password-in-powershell-script

Thanks for the code. Very helpful for my script

Scott Alvarino From Techjunkie.tv

3. kim says:

So the “PlainTextPassword” is still in plain text in a file somewhere?

So not secure at all really?

4. Jake2010 says:

Thanks for this article. I was struggling for a while with the PSCredential object as it was giving me an incorrect password error. Finally I used the Get-Credential and that worked great. Which made me dig back and see why the creating of PSCredential via non-interactive did not work. Finally realized that I had a $ sign in my password which may have been confusing powershell to think it was a variable. I am sure there is a way to escape the $ sign but I'll deal with it another day.

5. DavidLean says:

@jacobUT

The way to "escape the $ sign" is to use the grave-accent(`) .  On English keyboards it is the button to the left of the (1) key & above the (Tab) key. Typically is also has a tilda (~) above it.

The ( ` ) character is escape character for all powershell. It says "Ignore the special meanding of the next character & treat it like a normal character. Similar function to the "" characger in C++ & C# code.

eg: to put quotes within a string your use

$MyQuote = "He said `"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me you rears`" to the audience"

6. Neha says:

I have networkCredential object. Can i convert it to PSCredential object in  order to connect to PowerShell.?

7. Just as an additional comment you can add credentials as stored encrypted strings.  Still not perfect but a good addition that I use.

[System.Management.Automation.PSCredential]$Credential = (new-object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList ('SomeAccount', (ConvertTo-SecureString -String (Import-Clixml C:SecString.xml) -Key (Import-Clixml C:SomePreSharedKey.xml))))

Of course that's assuming you encrypted a string in advance using a key that you recorded in a CliXML export.

8. Clinton says:

Thank you for the clear and concise snippet!

9. patrick says:

Is there a way to store that $mycreds object for later use?

10. PS Noob says:

Thank you for sharing! This article is very useful to me

11. Ravindra Somvanshi says:

Helping article. "Get-Credential" won't work if you compile your ps1 to exe.

Below Code, did the trick for me.

======================================================

$user = Read-Host "Enter UserName"

$passwd = Read-Host "Enter Password" -AsSecureString

$passwd = [System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal]::PtrToStringAuto([System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal]::SecureStringToBSTR($passwd))

$secpasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString "$passwd" -AsPlainText -Force

$creden = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ("$user", $secpasswd)

=======================================================