No Source Control Integration in Visual Studio 2005 “Express” Editions

[Michael Teper] Mike Gunderloy pointed to the Visual Studio 2005 Product Line Overview page and commented that he doesn’t understand why the Express line does not include source control support.

This was one of the things that jumped out at me as well. The Express line of products is intended for a hobbyist programmer and one could do no greater service than introduce a beginner to the concept of source control. Fine, don’t include VSS, but at least throw in the option to support SCC integration!

IMO, SCC is the concept every beginning developer should be forced to learn. Thay may be too extreme a view, but not even giving a hint of SCC support is too extreme in the opposite direction!”

1. JJ says:

This is actually a feature. There has been no end to the headaches created from the new VS.NET SCC integration. If you don’t have your solution at the end of the directory structure, you automatically get a new directory structure checked into VSS automatically. My workspace shows files checked out that aren’t. Branch your projects, open the branched .sln and your files will be checked out from the original location. Why is this information hard coded into the solution/project files anyway?

2. Ian Mariano says:

Wow, that’s kind of messed up! I hope they include support for SCC in the Express version…for the same reasons you said!

3. Marc LaFleur says:

I could not agree more. Not having SCC is like not having color coded source editing.

4. John Simpson says:

That’s nice.

Don’t include it — force people who actually want to use source control to use a produce other than MS Products.

5. David says:

Two points: The main reason MS is putting out these Express products is to keep newcomer to flocking to free alternatives like Eclipse, right? Eclipse has CVS out of the box, so much for that.

Second point: I can understand that they don’t include VSS or VSTS in the Express line. But there is another SCC offering from Microsoft that seems to target exactly the same market as the Express line: Workspaces on gotdotnet. Wouldn’t it be incredibly cool if the Express line had support for a hosted SCC space from MS (like workspace) that people could use? Really simple, nothing fancy, like Workspace (except that it should be a bit faster ;).

Generally I also believe that the straight segmentation of the market MS seems to have done is slightly off. While VSTS is obviously a tool for very professional teams, there is no reason to assume that hobby programmers/students don’t work in teams. They need a different set of tools, but collaboration is at least as important in that area (espcially for students. I simply believe that Express will have no chance whatsoever to catch on there if it doesn’t support some sort of SCC out of the box. Most students work in small teams on projects, and would go to Eclipse in that case).

Just my 2 cents 🙂

6. Jerry Pisk says:

Eclipse supports pretty much every SCC out there, (scroll down to Team Repository Providers). The only one I can see missing is BitKeeper. Now if only somebody wrote Asp.Net plugin for Eclipse…

7. DavidC says:

I think if people need SCC, they could download Subversion and hopefully AnkhSVN will be modified for the Express tools.

Well, that assumes that plugins can be added to the Express environment.

8. David says:

But apparently plugins are disabled for the Express versions, so AnkhSVN is probably out 🙁

9. Arild Fines says:

Addins/plugins actually sort of work in the first beta of the Express versions – at least the NUnitAdding loads and works.

There are currently two other reasons why AnkhSVN doesn’t load in the Express SKUs: The current installer does not set up the necessary registry entries and there’s some kind of TypeLoadException at load time. I haven’t figured out what causes the latter yet – I suspect it’s some kind of 2.0 framework compatibiliy problem. I’ll try to resolve this problem in the near future.

To Microsoft: Please, please, please allow the Express SKUs to support addins. Letting them have a limited feature set out of the box is understandable, but do not take away the possibility to extend the product either with a self written tool or one of the many third party addins out there. The Express software should encourage, not discourage, the use of such valuable programming practices such as source control(AnkhSVN) and unit testing(NUnitAddin).

10. Quaid says:

Express needs Source Control! I’ve recently started using it because I preferred it over codeblocks and devcpp and the only thing letting it down would be the lack of source control.

Nearly every other dev software has at least support for it…

11. MSDNArchive says:

I’m with you, Quaid and everyone else on this thread who expresses a desire to have source control integration in the VS Express shell. I’m not in Visual Studio marketing but as I understand it, Express versions of VS are essentially…teasers. If Microsoft’s objective is to entice Express users to upgrade to more expensive versions, to cover the high cost of development of the VS suite (MS loses money doing so, by the way), it would seem to be both logical and necessary to remove certain desireable features, such as but not necessarily SCC integration. Assuming that’s the strategy, what Express features of comparable value/desirability would you be willing to give up in order to get source control integration?