VSSEMS – a Utility for SourceSafe Administrators

Currently, it is not possible to migrate or copy a list of users and their concominant rights/assignments from an existing VSS database to another one, using either shipped VSS features or programmatically, using IVSS.  However, our capable friends in Microsoft’s Product Support Services (PSS) have developed a tool that can perform this task automatically. You can download this tool from http://www.korbyparnell.com/tools/vssems.msi.

If you are the designated VSS database administrator on your team, VSSEMS can help you do much more than copy a user list from one database to another. Check it out. This utility is officially unsupported by Microsoft (or me for that matter :-). However, if you experience any difficulties while using it, please feel free to let me know.

1. Dan Golick says:

I Can’t download the tool – no access to the directory/file

2. Thanks, Dan. You should be able to download it now. Korby

3. Randy Scott says:

Is this utility still available?

I am an administrator and appriciate any tool which may make my life easier.

4. JEff Faist says:

404 error when trying to down load on both links.

5. Apparently, my hosting service is experiencing some technical difficulties this evening.

If you attempt to download this utility and cannot do so for any reason, I’ll be happy to send it to you via email. All you have to do is send your email address (account must be able to handle a 2.2mb zip file) to http://blogs.msdn.com/korbyp/contact.aspx.

6. Bill says:

I tried to install it from my workstation and it didn’t work. Does it need to be installed from a console on the server?

The error message I got was:

Error 1606. Could not access network location \phoenixprofiles. "Try Again" or "Cancel"

This is the name of a share on our network, but not the name of the one with VSS…

7. Lance says:

Any chance of getting the source code posted too?

8. The tool appears interesting, not really sure what is does, documentation would help. In the events section I set it to email on checkin, how do I set the email address. Also, can there be an event for project creation. When our developers want to create a new project I would like them to contact me to make sure it is placed in the correct subfolder

9. Bill — Possible workarounds for Error 1606: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B315352

Lance — I’ll look into the possibility of publishing VSSEMS as a PowerToy but I can’t make any promises. This one’s an internal hand-me-down from my ‘what’s old is new again’ folder.

10. Hmm, nice tool. Got some questions concerning the Event-Stuff. I can use different events and can assign actions, but what parameters do I have to use? We would like to use the eMail action. obviously there must be a place to assign email-addresses and also the mail server 🙂

11. Anonymous says:

Numerous 3rd Party Tools for SourceSafe

12. Anonymous says:

From Lance Hunt’s whiteboard

13. Jorge says:

14. Ben says:

It’s possible to use the VSSEMS in command line ?

Especially the user rights (backup and restor) process.

15. hbird says:

Trying to download the tool but I can’t access.

16. hbird says:

Managed to find the tool elsewhere, and the user import is a great timesaver. However, I’m having trouble with the analyze functionality. When I try to run I get the following message: "ActiveX component can’t create object SaveSettings SavePlace +TempSettings.txt" The TempSettings.txt file gets created in the output directory I set under Options, but the analyze does not run.

17. Rich Holt says:

The d/l links are dead

http://www.winisp.net no longer resolves — did the domain go TU?

can anyone tell me where to get a copy?

18. MSDNArchive says:

The file is once again available.

19. Yaser says:

The "Import User List" feature is simple awsome 🙂 it would have taken me hours to manually add users to various databases. Thanx Korby. It would be great to have some documentation in order to understand and use some other features…

20. Prashanth says:

How can I send emails whenever any user adds new file in VSS ? Can you please help me out

21. Mike Prinzo says:

Wow, this thing worked great!

I was able to import users from an existing database – just what I needed.

Thank you.

22. After years of automating Visual SourceSafe(VSS), I am beginning to post and organize all my knowledge

23. Righardt says:

"# Jorge said on June 7, 2005 6:08 PM:

When I click the ‘Apply Rights’ button of the ‘Group Management’ screen I get an error 424 (object required)"

I am experiencing the same problems while trying to apply the rights after creating the groups and adding users inside those groups and then setting rights to the groups. Then I click the Apply Rights buttong I get the 424 error as above.

Please assist because this tool will make life soooo much easier.

24. After long time, I am back with one more VSS challenge. Here it is: Problem: You might face problem with