Microsoft’s New Source Code Control Application

WoooHooo! I can finally write about the project I’ve been working on these last few months: Microsoft’s source control solution for the Twenty First Century: Source Code Control Services for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team System (its friends just call it Hatteras, for short).  And just so that you don’t have to ask… Hatteras and Visual SourceSafe (VSS) are completely different projects and products.*

As announced by Buck, Sam, Kent, Rob, David Weller, Robert Hurlbut, the FxCop team blog, and many, many others, Steve Ballmer unveiled Visual Studio 2005 Team System [like the enshrouded superstructure of an aircraft carrier in San Diego Bay ;-)] to the delight of one programmer/writer and 10,000 developers and IT pros during his TechEd keynote in San Diego this morning.

Team System is “an extensible life-cycle tools platform that helps software teams collaborate to reduce the complexity of delivering modern service-oriented solutions.“ You can read all about it at the brand spankin’ new Team System Developer Center.  Since it now appears to be public information, I guess I can also tell you that Visual Studio 2005 Team System’s internal codename is “Burton“.

At the heart of Visual Studio 2005 Team System is a set of integrated software configuration management tools that we call Team Foundation (no codename). Team Foundation, which will ship as a server, server with standalone client, and as an integrated part of Visual Studio 2005, provides policy support, work item management, and enterprise-class source code control services.

Hatteras is a spicy new SQL Server-based, fully transactional, client-server source control system that will blow your socks off.  If you’re lucky enough to be walking the great halls of TechEd this week in San Diego, don’t miss the Visual Studio booth. If you want to talk about source control, I recommend you talk to Doug Neumann, Beny Rubenstein, or if you can squeeze your way through the crowd, Brian Harry.

Team System Blogs
Concurrent to the creation of the Developer Center, we created a team blog called (what else?) The AskBurton Blog
Source Control Blogs: Korby Parnell and Buck Hodges
Work Item Management Blog: Brian White
Team System Blog: Rob Caron

Team System Whitepapers
We’ve also created a set of Team System Whitepapers that describe the scope and function of all Team System tools.
Team Foundation Whitepaper (source control and work item management).

Newsgroups
The Team System Team Development newsgroup is available at the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Technology Preview newsgroup site as Microsoft.private.whidbey.teamsystem.teamfoundation.

++++++++++++
*We will continue to ship and support VSS for teams of 5 or less but Hatteras is our big bet for source control going forward.

1. This is a neat idea. I can see it designed with enterprise development in mind and I know that it will also integrate into Vs 2005 but will you guys work on creating a smaller version of it for small project/small team usage?

2. Kirk Marple says:

Is SourceGear scared about this? This seems to be out to take Vault out of the market…?

3. Frans Bouma says:

Kirk: I had the same thought.

But then again, I wouldn’t be surprised if MS sublicensed some of Sourcegear’s source.

4. When? Not before VS.NET 2005 ships?

5. Dewayne Christensen says:

I presume we can consider VSS to be EOL’d then?

6. RichB says:

I had an inkling Brian Harry was off to do something like this when he announced he was leaving the CLR team. Congratulations. It looks fantastic.

(For those who don’t know, Brian Harry co-wrote VSS prior to Microsoft’s purchase of One Tree software)

7. Paul Wilson says:

I heard a few rumors about this at the MVP Summit, but I hadn’t seen it myself, so this is really great news. Of course, if its like several other things lately, being announced, nor even working, means it will be delivered.

8. Well, finally! I am certainly looking forward to this…

Sounds like "100 decibels of source-controlled joy" to me!

9. Well it’s about time =)

10. Announcing Visual Studio 2005 Team System

11. Forever Geek says:

With today being the first day of Microsoft’s TechEd 2004 conference, there have been quite a few announcements. To me, the biggest announcement was Visual Studio 2005 Team System. This appears to be Microsoft’s answer to those customers who want…

12. I said it to you guys today in the roundtable, but I want to say it here in public as well…

Please find a way to give us the choice of edit-merge-commit or lock-edit-commit.

Don’t force us into the lock model just because that is how it has always been. That is a "religious" question best left to the actual development team and not the tool vendor.

13. Alan Bell says:

Major shouts of Joy from this side of the pond.

When can I get my hands on it?

14. Thumphr says:

Yes it’s looks good, But will the SCM side support our projects that are still in VB6?

15. As mentioned in this post by Korby Parnell, Microsoft has announced some major new enhancements for VS2005. I need to check out the white papers to see what benefits at work might be gained by preparing for this release….

16. Brian Harry says:

I’m glad to see all the great discussion here. I’ll comment on a few of the questions that came up:

I hear you on the small team point. For now our plan is that SourceSafe continues to be the answer for small teams focused on sharing code and that Team Foundation is the solution for larger teams or those that need more development process structure (work items, project managment, policies, etc). As we get feedback and see customer demand we can always adjust our positioning/packaging in the future but our current feeling is that this is a good balance. We are certainly open to feedback though.

No VSS will not be EOL’d (see my comment above). We continue to improve SourceSafe. In fact SourceSafe 2005 represents the biggest step forward in a long time. I’m really pleased with the work they are doing and I hope you will be too.

17. Eric Sink of SourceGear posted his thoughts on the Hatteras announcment.

One quote that I was curious about was "Pricing for Hatteras has not yet been announced, but folks are getting the impression that it will be very expensive."

Most of us have been spoiled by the fact that MSDN Universal includes all the development tools we need. Do you know if the new Team System will be part of MSDN Universal, or will it have to be licensed separately?

Kiliman

18. Per Hammar says:

Realy great work this is how its should be. Could you drop some more info on the SCM system works, can you add your own attributes to projects,components,items? And one request!, I watched the video and noticed that it still was the old windiff engine in the background. Please update that. Take a look at for example Beyond Compare for a realy good diff engine. Anway this is superb work. thanks

19. Diego Vega says:

Great news! And good to hear about Brian Harry again! Could anyone there evangelize him on blogging? I remember his posts about deterministic finalization on the DOTNET list and I think he is a great communicator.

20. Thoemmi.NET says:

Korby Parnell, Wesner Moise, and Eric Sink talk about Hatteras, a new source code control system part…

21. Brian Harry says:

A few more comments 🙂

Yes, you can attach your own attributes to projects, files, …

As soon as I can get Korby to sit down and give me a lesson on blogging, I’m going to start a blog. This stuff has been top secret so I didn’t see a lot of point getting into it but now that we’ve announced it I’ll get involved in the community again. Thanks for the encouragement 🙂

We are still working on pricing and licensing terms including which components will be included in which MSDN levels. Certainly we’ll settle all those questions as we approach release and make sure everyone understands what to expect.

22. Alan Cyment says:

I haven’t yet read quite extensively all the available docs on Hatteras, but I haven’t seen a single mention in it to "artifact granularity", meaning "size of the things the SCM tool/repository will talk about". With the exception of <a href="http://www.ipass.net/vmalik/envy.html#Q1">Envy/Manager</a&gt; for several Smalltalk dialogs and the (now defunct?) <a href="http://www.eclipse.org/stellation/">Stellation</a&gt; Eclipse project, I haven’t found any SCM tool that goes beyond (or beneath maybe) the "file concept". Why do I have to go to the "File" menu in VS.NET when I want to add a class to my project???? I reckon that having a source control tool "know" a bit more about the artifacts it is storing (ie classes, methods, etc) would not only allow for finer-grained control, but should also give us developers/testers/designers cleaner metaphors to work with.

What do you think about this thoughts?

Alan

23. Dave Goldstein says:

Out of curiosity, I heard Chris Fraley talking about this… has he been part of this picture, or was that just coincidence?

(i.e. you ask, Who’s that?)

24. As Brian Harry points out, SourceSafe is not being EOL’d. You can check out the SourceSafe 2005 roadmap for details. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvsent/html/vssmap.asp

Also, Peter Provost raised the importance of being able to choose workstyles: 1) edit-merge-commit (copy-modify-merge) or 2) lock-edit-commit (lock-modify-unlock). This flexibility to choose will be a part of SourceSafe 2005, so we look forward to your feedback on this capability once a Beta is available.

25. Foo says:

This is so great – this product will force Bitkeeper’s price down, and thus probably bring affordable excellent version control on my desk! Thanks a million!

26. Brian Harry says:

Team Foundation still focuses on versioning at the file level. We’ve designed the system so that we can version other things as well but for V1 that’s all we’ll support. I remember my first debate with someone (the guy who wrote multi-edit, I forget his name) about versioning of classes vs files in 1992. He was 100% convinced that the concept of files would be gone within a year or two. The problem is that it is a HUGE shift and needs to happen broadly in tool sets before it really works. Also, since most people these days just do 1 class per file and the file has the same name as the class it isn’t clear that the benefit is all that huge. As we move forward we’ll certainly be looking at this feature and considering input from customers on the priority vs other things.

Brian

27. Mahendra says:

Cool, Can Anybody point me to location where i can get the Beta version to get my hands on for Now

28. Alan Cyment says:

Hi Brian. I can see your point, but what about going down to the method level (the way ENVY does it)? After having used it for a whole year, I can’t describe just how confident one is when making changes to code…

29. Korby Parnell writes: