Rich Text Editor is here

I am super excited to announce that Kannan Sundararajan, my colleague at Microsoft, has written a Rich Text Editor control using ASP.NET and JavaScript and shared it under the MS-PL license on CodePlex. It has a very rich feature set and Kannan hopes to enhance it further in the future. Since it is a CodePlex project you can report issues and make feature requests.

Here are the highlights:

• Live demo: If you would like to see the control in action, then check out this live demo that Kannan has put up.
  • Getting the bits
    1. You can download the latest RichTextEditor bits from the Source Code tab of the CodePlex project.
    2. Unzip the files to a local directory and open the solution using Visual Studio.
    3. The RichTextEditor.dll will be located in the bin directory of the RichTextEditor project.
    4. You can also preview the control by opening the Default.aspx page of the SampleWebSite project in a browser.
    5. To add the RichTextEditor to your project simply reference the RichTextEditor binary in your web project and register its assembly and namespace on the page.
  • Documentation: Kannan has a nice Power Point presentation that talks about some of the important features. It is in the Docs folder when you unzip the source.
  • Features: Here are some really compelling features that I would like to call out.
    • Clipboard support: You can copy and paste content from other programs like Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer, Visual Studio into the RichTextEditor and it will persist the formatting. If you copy code from Visual Studio it will preserve the code coloring scheme.

WordCopyRTE

• Context sensitive Toolbar: The ToolBar buttons will reflect the properties of that content automatically when you select it or navigate through it using the mouse or keyboard .

ContextSensitiveRTE

• Code Block: It allows you to format text as code blocks. Simple select the text and format it by clicking the "Code Block" ToolBar button. CodeBlockRTE
    • Emoticons: You can express yourself better by adding emoticons to your rich text.

EmoticonsInRTE

• HtmlView: If you would like to have more control over the look and feel of your text then you can edit it in HtmlView as well.

HtmlViewRTE

• Text in multiple languages: The control currently supports several languages. This means that I can type a message to my mom in my native language, Marathi, using the RichTextEditor and send it to her. MarathiInRTE
    • Browser support: The control works well in two of the most widely used browsers Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Toolkit and the RichTextEditor

The RichTextEditor is not a part of the AJAX Control Toolkit and does not use the Toolkit infrastructure either. Currently there are no plans of integrating it into the Toolkit. However, as the new Toolkit contribution model states, we would like to share AJAX controls with the community that provide great solutions for important problems that are commonly faced by a lot of our users. Please try it out and give Kannan your feedback by using the Issue Tracker.

To richer text!

1. I am super excited to announce that Kannan Sundarajan , my colleague at Microsoft, has written Rich Text

2. Kannan Sundarajan has written Rich Text Editor control using ASP.NET AJAX and shared it under the MS-PL

3. Kannan Sundarajan has written Rich Text Editor control using ASP.NET AJAX and shared it under the MS

4. Brad Abrams からです。 Cool Free ASP.NET AJAX Rich Text Editor ASP.NET AJAX を利用して作られた RTE コントロールが MS-PL license

5. Coding4Fun says:

6. Kanan Sundarajan has written a Rich Text Editor and has shared it on CodePlex . For additional screenshots

7. Josh in AZ says:

How is the html from this handled during page validation?

8. Kannan says:

I am glad to announce the release of ASP.NET Rich Text Editor control , that I have blogged about earlier,

9. I am glad to announce the release of ASP.NET Rich Text Editor control , that I have blogged about earlier

10. anonymous says:

I’m very interested in the “hopes to enhance it further in the future” part.

11. I was pushing for this release when I was at Microsoft and while I can't explain what took so long

12. Josh Ledgard says:

13. Shan says:

The control is not xHtml compliant.

14. kirtid says:

You can report issues on the RTE CodePlex project. There is already one that tracks XHTML Compliance: http://www.codeplex.com/rte/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=4354.

You can also ask questions and have discussions with other users of this control: http://www.codeplex.com/rte/Thread/List.aspx.

15. 小李刀刀 says:

功能特征: 下面是一些我想要重点介绍的引人关注的功能特征。

16. I’ve recently come across a large number of blog posts talking about a new Rich Text Editor on CodePlex

17. Mike says:

1st: Excellent work, must have been pretty tough.

2nd: Now the Ajax Control Toolkit is not going to make one, which is sad, because we need the Toolkit to provide all common interface widgets, _including_ a rich text editor. So please merge and then go from there. You will have the added benefit of the general Toolkit popularity and testing framework.

Please consider. Keep up up the good work, thanks!

18. Thanks for posting. Was really looking for such a control from a long time!!!

19. I was looking for a silver light or a flash flex rte and ran into this site.

html and javascript version have existed for several years now.  I’ve been using http://www.fckeditor.net/ for almost 3 years now.

realistically that project isn’t going anywhere.  silverlight/flex are the way to do things now. who wants to maintain a bunch of crappy browser renderings .. especially for something that complex?

20. Dave says:

OK – so how DO I get to the dll? I downloaded the latest zip – no bin directory in there are all, sooooo I download team explorer – even using the username_cp I can’t get access by loading it into VS2005, sooooo I download TortoiseSVN abd SCN Bridge and re-download the project again – apart from a hidden directory ‘,svn’ it the same as the zip file – still no Bin directory, still no dll…

This is the fastest loading RT editor I have come across – and would be great in our apps – sooo some help please…

21. kirtid says:

Hi Dave,

Could you try building the solution and see if that creates a bin directory? You should ignore any Team explorer authentication prompts.

Kirti

22. Dave says:

Hi Kirti

Yup I ran build to compile last night – bin directory doesn’t appear in VS2005, but it has now compiled a dll in the download directory under Bin/Debug – I’m not really sure what the .pdb file is for next to it? If I right click in toolbox – choose items and browse to the dll it’s not visible…

Sorry to be a pain!

23. Dave says:

Hi Kirti

OK – I’ve got it working. Not sure why the assembly loads as RichTextEditor and the control as rte, but by changing the control name it runs fine now! Faster and better than anything I’ve come across including the heavyweight flickr editor…

24. Dave says:

Another question… The editor is runs well, but for some reason when running under an SSL socket it’s attempting to load some items that are ‘nonsecure’ (outside of the app) – if I load it and prevent the nonsecure items to be displayed I can’t see any difference from allowing them. Getting this warning will be a pain to users though – any ideas?

25. kirtid says:

You should post any control specific issues in the RTE Issue tracker: http://www.codeplex.com/rte/WorkItem/AdvancedList.aspx and Kannan can investigate further.

26. felix says:

only few fonts are available there.we want style more fonts

27. wcai says:

I faced some problem when i try to use the DataBind for this richtext box. The formatting header lost. Any idea?

28. Rakesh says:

I need a rich text editor which has a insert table option. Please send me the codes or tell me where I can find it.

Thanks

29. Can't tab into a Rich text field says:

Hi guys,

I am facing a need to tab twice in order to enter the rich text area, some how one tab doesn’t work for me. Movement from one control to another is possible only if I tab twice, how can I tab into the textbox using only 1 tab.

Regards,

Naren.

30. Naren says:

Hi guys,

Regards,

Naren.

31. Thank you for this control.  I easily implemented it in a web page.  I’ve searched every link I could find to try to find some technical details about it.

What I’d like to do is simply copy the rich text (ie. the HTML code) and paste in the body of an e-mail message.

How do I access the HTML contents of this rich text box?

32. kirtid says:

The RichTextEditor project is open source and you can download and change its code as per the Microsoft Public License. It would be great if you could report new issues and vote on existing issues here that will help Kannan better track them: http://www.codeplex.com/rte/WorkItem/AdvancedList.aspx. You can also post questions on the RTE forum: http://www.codeplex.com/rte/Thread/List.aspx.

33. Jason says:

This is superbad! Excellent work guys.

34. Narayanan Kannan says:

Hi kannan,

How could we open this editor when user clicks on the div element in a modal popup, and i need to edit the content inside that particular div element and to save back in the same div element after editing using this editor. pls. help me out. Thanks in advance

35. [2008. október 27.] Az október 14-i RTW (Ready To Wire) bejelentés kapcsán megvizsgáltuk a Silverlight

36. saigon says:

Similar to Kannan, How can I get content of RichTextEditor as HTML in C# code page.

some thing like Rte1.GetContent();

Thanks,

Linh

37. Karina says:

How can I save the editors content? rte1.Text() returns empty string.

38. Tina says:

When i set the controls visibility to false i get a java script error. Else a fantastic control thanks

39. Prasanna says:

I don’t see a button for strikethrough.

40. Amit says:

Does not support multiple instances of editor on one page.

41. sasank says:

Clipboard support: is not working.

Can you please help me in this regard.