Revealing Kinect for Windows v2 hardware

As we continue the march toward the upcoming launch of Kinect for Windows v2, we’re excited to share the hardware’s final look.

Sensor

The sensor closely resembles the Kinect for Xbox One, except that it says “Kinect” on the top panel, and the Xbox Nexus—the stylized green “x”—has been changed to a simple, more understated power indicator:

Kinect for Windows v2 sensor
Kinect for Windows v2 sensor

Hub and power supply

The sensor requires a couple other components to work: the hub and the power supply. Tying everything together is the hub (top item pictured below), which accepts three connections: the sensor, USB 3.0 output to PC, and power. The power supply (bottom item pictured below) does just what its name implies: it supplies all the power the sensor requires to operate. The power cables will vary by country or region, but the power supply itself supports voltages from 100–240 volts.

Kinect for Windows v2 hub (top) and power supply (bottom)

Kinect for Windows v2 hub (top) and power supply (bottom)

As this first look at the Kinect for Windows v2 hardware indicates, we’re getting closer and closer to launch. So stay tuned for more updates on the next generation of Kinect for Windows.

Kinect for Windows Team

Key links

1. well well well says:

lookin' forward to experiment with it. nice tech!

2. Sam Cobb says:

I didn't even know this was coming out but as a consumer and long-time IT professional, I get the sense that this design won't be the best for me. Since it is basically an extremely high-tech webcam, I am kind of surprised this isn't being released in 2 different models. One as-is for living room media PCs and one with a laptop mountable camera unit connected to a breakout box.

In fact, I am having trouble seeing where this will benefit the consumer. As an IT guy, I can see great value in businesses, schools and research facilities just not for the home.

3. Tom Anderson says:

Where can I preorder Kinect for Windows?

4. Peter says:

Cool. Will the hub/power supply be available separately so I can use my XB1 Kinect on my PC? It would probably get more use there than on my XB1.

Kinda odd that the hub and power supply are separate. Could have been just a single box.

5. BigTurk says:

Now will the power supply be sold separately for those of us who need to extend our Xbox One Kinect?  The current situation sucks for those with our A/V rack tucked away.

6. Vdek says:

Will I be able to use my Xbox One Kinect with a Windows PC?

7. Juan Wendeus says:

Is there a release date for the Kinect 2?

8. Flameboy Dan says:

Any news on how to extend the Xbox version of Kinect?  Lots of questions on the internet but, disappointingly, no response from MS beyond "rearrange your room".     I recognise some people will want more and more, but for some, like me, there's just a missing few feet (Fireplace mounted TV).   Not a problem at the moment but when Kinect Sports comes out it'll prevent it working well I suspect.  Any news gratefully received.

9. What says:

Did you really just say the top box has power and the bottom box has the power?

10. Delochos says:

Revelando Kinect para hardware de Windows v2

11. nonmoi says:

Please, please come with an app store for kinect so lame users like me can easily access all the fun stuff developers made, and they can profit from it.

12. Ron k. says:

Ugh power supply brick, no thanks I'll pass.

13. Steve says:

So, I got my hardware, but where do I download the SDK?  Is it integrated into 1.8?

14. Gordon says:

Can this Version 2 work on Windows RT 8.1 and on Windows 8.1 Pro operating systems??

15. Bill Gates says:

If you've got a Surface or any other pad-like Windows 8 device, you're not going to want a big-ass camera sitting on top of it. Why wasn't this built into e.g. the Surface Pro? Will there at least be a Kinect app in the Windows Store for voice functions?

16. Ryan Walters says:

Will Microsoft make the hub available for Xbox One users to extend their Kinect cables? A lot of us really need that capability so we can start using our Kinects.

17. Ahmad says:

Do you plan to launch in India soon?

last time you used a reseller which wasn't very helpful.

It will be good if you could make it available on atleast on online retailer and don't delay the launch.

May be you can use pre-order as has been done recently by handset manufacturers.

18. Martha Castro says:

Do you know if there are software for the Windows Kinect that we can use to do some games for teaching purposees.

we want to teach to the workers how to drive a CAT lift.

Please send me any information you have about it to my e-mail

martha.castro@beamglobal.com

Thanks

Martha

19. Elmer says:

What month is this expected to launch? And can the adapter be used as an long extension for the Xbox One Kinect? Been looking for an extension cable for that since the release of the Xbox One.

20. Jason says:

Will the hub and power brick enable those that need the Xbox One Kinect extended for further distances away from the XBONE?  Lots of interest in having this capability.  http://www.avsforum.com/…/xbox-one-kinect-extender

21. Broo2 says:

Are there any plans for an extension for the xBox One Kinect?  The Kinect for my xBox One is currently burred in a drawer as the included cable is about 6' too short for to reach where my TV is mounted.

22. Sleeping in Seattle (Redmond, to be exact) says:

Please sell/release xbox one kinect 2 extension cable…..thousands of customers who are eager to use the Xbox One as their "One" console but are unable to because the cable is not long enough to accommodate AV Racks and Theater Rooms, basically the kinect is pretty much just collecting dust….please see one of the many forums online monoprice.uservoice.com/…/5128547-xbox-one-kinect-2-0-extension-cable

23. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello Tom and Elmer,

We appreciate your questions.

The v2 sensor and SDK will launch in the summer of 2014. Please stay tuned at http://www.kinectforwindows.com for updates as they occur.

Thank you.

24. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Vdek- Kinect for Xbox 360 is built for and tested with Xbox 360. It is not licensed for commercial use, supported, or under warranty when used on any other platform, including Windows.

25. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Dear What,

The bottom box shown in the image above is the actual power supply while the adaptor box on the top provides power to the sensor and the USB connection.

Thank you!

26. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello Ahmad,

We do not currently have a Kinect for Windows reseller in India. Please stay tuned and visit http://bit.ly/K4WWeb for the latest availability information.

For pre-order of the v2 sensor, there is no program available at this time. However, there is a developer preview program and due to high demand, we have a waitlist of developers who are interested in joining. If you are interested in being added to our waitlist, please email k4wdevkit@microsoft.com and make your case for a spot on the list.

Thank you!

27. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello Tom,

We do not currently a pre-order program for the v2 sensor. We do have a developer preview program and depending on your location and your plans, that might be an option. Please contact K4Wdevkit@microsoft.com to be considered.

Thank you!

28. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Thank you for the question, Big Turk,

We have nothing to announce at this time regarding the power supply being sold separately. Please stay tuned and visit http://bit.ly/K4WWeb for the most current information.

29. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Martha,

Kinect for Windows can be found in a variety of education and training scenarios, from early childhood education through corporate training. Several institutions already use Kinect for Windows in education and training applications, including Kaplan Early Learning, Kinems, nsquared, IES/MiloRange, and Siemens PLM Software.

Thank you for the great question.

30. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello Elmer,

For any Kinect for Xbox-specific questions, please reach out to the folks who will be able to better inform on that topic:

forums.xbox.com/…/default.aspx

Thanks!

31. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Thank you for the question, Nonmoi!

With the upcoming launch, we will have enabled developers to create applications to purchase.

Please stay tuned as commercial apps become available in the Windows Store in the future.

32. zpoc says:

i hope the xbox one bundled kinect will be usable with windows. there's absolutely no way i'd buy a second unit, but i'd love to be able to swap the one i own already between my xbox one and my pc.

33. Billy says:

Hello, I have encountered a problem when I was using kinect2.0, when I start KinectStatus.exe it has No color images and depth image display. Others have the same problem?

34. David says:

It hasn't been said anywhere, but I assume V2 uses TOF. Is that true?

35. Steff says:

When comes the hub for the Kinect sensor out?

I want to order one, now 🙂

36. Steff says:

Any news? Can't wait to hold the new sensor in my hands.

37. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello Steff,

We don't have anything to announce at this time, but please stay tuned at http://www.kinectforwindows.com for news as it happens.

Thanks!

38. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Billy,

Please contact your developer preview contact for support on the v2 sensor.

Thanks!

39. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello Billy,

Please direct any technical questions like yours above to our public forums. Engineers and developers actively monitor the threads and should be able to help you. Thank you!

social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/home

40. Francesca says:

Hello K4W Team,

I would like to know the system requirements for the K4W v2. My university would be interested in purchasing it once it's out, but they also need to purchase a computer to develop for it, so I was wondering if something like this could be disclosed.

Or is there some support or email that I could contact for this piece of information?

Thank you very much.

41. Dan says:

Is Kinect 2.0 for windows going to be available for an educational discount?

42. h)0 says:

What is the weight of the kinect 2 for windows sensor exculding all cables, and powersuplies?

43. Kinect for Windows Team says:

The Kinect for Windows sensor v2 weighs 2.13 lbs.

44. Kinect for Windows Team says:

To those who requested availability of the Kinect for Windows v2 sensor, you can now get information on whether or not it is currently available in your region and how to pre-order. http://bit.ly/v2preorder

45. Saeta says:

Hello. I am repeating a question asked by Vdek because your answer to Vdek did not directly address the person's question. (Your reply to Vdek referred to Xbox 360.)

Is there any way (eg. by buying extra accessories, like a hub and power-supply for Kinect v2, when they become available) that I could connect the Kinect for XBox One to my laptop (and, of course, access the data generated by the Kinect)?

I just happen to have a Kinect for XBox One, without the XBox One console.

46. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello Saeta,

Kinect for Windows v2, which is now available for pre-order, contains a hub and power supply to allow you to plug it into a standard USB outlet on a PC. The existing Kinect for Xbox One plugs into a proprietary outlet specific to Xbox One for both power and data and does not include a connectivity kit for PC use.

We have no further information to share at this time.

Thanks!

47. Hassan says:

Hello,

Do you have any tutorial for Kinect v2?

Thanks.

48. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Great news, Hassan. There is virtual event happening on Tuesday, the date of the release of the public beta SDK 2.0. You can register for the Programming the Kinect for Windows v2 Jump Start here: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/…/programming-the-kinect-for-windows-jump-start

Thanks!

49. teetar says:

What is the weight of the kinect for windows version 2  inculding all cables ,box  and powersuplies?

50. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello Francesca,

We are pleased to hear that you are interested in using the v2 sensor! Regret the incorrect information posted in the former blog comment about OS requirements.

•64-bit (x64) processor

•Physical dual-core 3.1 GHz (2 logical cores per physical) or faster processor

•USB 3.0 port dedicated to the Kinect for Windows v2 sensor (Intel and Renesas controllers)

•2 GB of RAM

•Graphics card that supports DirectX 11 (Intel HD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 6470M, NVIDIA Geforce 610m, AMD Radeon HD 6570)

•Windows or Windows Embedded 8 or 8.1

Thanks!

51. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello Teetar,

The total shipping weight of the sensor and all supplies is between 6-7 lbs.

52. Joe says:

Hi K4W Team,

I'm interested in purchasing a new Kinect for Windows, but don't have Windows 8. Does v1.8 of the SDK work with the new Kinect, or do I have to use the new beta and Windows 8?

Thanks,

Joe

53. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello Joe,

The SDK 1.8 is not compatible with the v2 sensor, so we do recommend downloading the public preview of the SDK 2.0.

Thank you!

54. liliana says:

Hola me podes informar por favor cuanto pesa la kinect 2 por windows y el auricular que viene como accesorio ya que lo compre y quedo en un hotel de eeuu y dicen que pesa mucho y cuesta mucho el envio a Argentina necesito saber cuanto es con exactitud, muchas gracias, un saludo cordial

55. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello Lilliana,

The weight of the v2 sensor, unopened and as originally packaged, is between 6 and 7 pounds. Which handset are you referring to that would be an extra peripheral?

Gracias.

56. DotnetIndia says:

When will this sensor be avaialble in India?

57. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello,

We have no news to share at this time regarding the availability of the Kinect for Windows v2 sensor in India.

Thank you and please stay tuned here, on Twitter (@KinectWindows), Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/KinectForWindows) or http://www.kinectforwindows.com for news as it happens.

58. Jackson says:

So I have the Kinect v2 for my Xbox one, why cant I just buy the hub to enable me to do dev work with this on my PC?

59. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello Jackson,

The Kinect for Windows v2 sensor contains a hub and power supply to allow you to plug it into a standard USB outlet on a PC. The existing Kinect for Xbox One plugs into a proprietary outlet specific to Xbox One for both power and data and does not include a connectivity kit for PC use.

We have no additional information to share at this time, but encourage you to stay tuned here on our blog and also on the Kinect for Windows website http://bit.ly/K4WWeb.

Thank you!

60. Edward says:

Where can I buy that hub(and lines) without buying the kinect for windows bundle?

61. Kinect for Windows Team says:

Hello, Please provide more information on "hub (and lines)", so we can better answer your question. Thank you.

62. Vignesh says:

I have a question about the Kinect v2. I am planning to use it with a quadcopter so I just wanted to know the weight of the sensor? Also if possible I would like to know the weight of the sensor with all the casing, fans and heat sink removed.

63. Calvin says:

Will the Kinect for windows v2 work on a Xbox one?

1. Yes, you can use the Kinect for Windows SDK 2.0 with a Kinect for Xbox One sensor. You will also need the Kinect Adapter for Windows to connect your sensor to your computer. Learn more about the Kinect hardware at https://dev.windows.com/en-us/kinect/hardware.

64. Great writing it is such a good and nice idea thanks