The new book is out

I’ve mentioned before that I had a new book coming out.  It’s finally available on Amazon.  Again, I didn’t write this one; I was just its editor.  It was written by a “dream team” of developers from the SQL Server dev team and support engineers from Microsoft Customer Support Services.  The focus of the book is on troubleshooting issues with the SQL Server database engine, and it’s my hope that it will be the “go to” reference for people working through issues with the engine.  You can find the book here

1. Sue says:

Accompanying CD doesn’t seem to have all scripts referenced in the book specifically..amalgam.innocuous_wait_types. Is there someplace to get the missing items.

2. Greg says:

Sue, I found the files missing from the CD as well, even though they are mentioned in the book.

3. Sue says:

I just tried registering the book at http://www.awprofessional.com in order to get the files and the support/download portion of their web-site does not work.(The entire AW site seems a bit convoluted.) I even tried the 45day Safari on-line option and still no downloadable files. This will most likely be the last Addison-Wesley book I purchase even if the author(s) have a good reputation….wasted too much valuable time already.

4. igor.gladyshev says:

I asked Ken (in direct email) the same question regarding the CD and missing samples and look what he answered me:

We’re about to post an update to the CD on the web.  Are you subscribed to

my MSDN blog?  I will announce it there once it’s ready. Should be there by

Monday at the latest.

It was on January 31 and today is Wednesday, actually…

5. MSDNArchive says:

Guys, sorry for the delay on this.  The reason we’re taking a bit is that we’re going to provide some additional content that wasn’t even originally a part of the book.  IOW, you’re going to get some extra goodies. We’re just trying to get it ready as I write.  Look for a new post on this in the next couple of days.

6. MSDNArchive says:

Hey guys, the update to the CD is out there.  You can find it at http://www.khen.com/sspt.htm.  Enjoy!

7. bill says:

Hi, Ken

Ch1 Page 6 of your new book (SQL 2005 troubleshooting) said,

"The session-level focus also………Both sysprocesses and sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks display only the session ID of the blocking……."

should it be sys.dm_exec_requests rather than sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks?

Bill

8. alpha1105omega@hotmail.com says:

Hi, Ken

Ch1 Page 6 of your new book (SQL 2005 troubleshooting) said,

should it be sys.dm_exec_requests rather than sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks?

Bill

9. Jeff says:

I attempted to acces the web page,  http://www.khen.com/sspt.htm, in order to access the cd changes.  I also purchased the book and was disappointed to find missing code as referenced as early as page 5.  However, this page is not available.  Any additional info to guide us to the full cd contents???

Please forward response to jeffreydjoy@hotmail.com