If you have seen this error “Service ‘MsExchangeTransport’ failed to reach status ‘Running’ on this server” during exchange installation setup on Win 2008 check to see if you have done the following.
Check both of these:
- By default you may have turned off IPv6 as you may have thought you didn’t require it during the installation of Win2008 or at a later stage. Also it is standard procedure to turn off unused features. Previous versions of exchange were fine with IPv4
- You may have done nothing and assumed correctly that IPv6 is installed by default on Win2008.
Well if you have either situation then this is the likely cause of your problem.
- If IPv6 in not installed -> reinstall it
- Doing this from the command prompt may be easier -> “netsh interface ipv6 install” or
- If you have the default install goto Start->Network(Right Click)->Properties->Mange network connections->(right click relevant connection)->Select Internet Protocol Version 6-> Click Install-> Add the relevant Service\Protocol\Client features.
Doing this from the command prompt may be easier
Trying to kill the service and do anything manually to it doesnt make a difference..
Reboot the machine and reinitiate the setup
Fingers crossed and this does the trick – hopefully it helps 😉
If not there is a transport forum available from Microsoft at http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=844&SiteID=17
update 19/01/09 if this fails ref my blog item. this will work
Exchange 07: Topology discovery failed, error 0x80040a02 (DSC_E_NO_SUITABLE_CDC)